What are the main differences between Labour and the Conservatives?

Barb E DahlBarb E Dahl Posts: 126
Forum Member
For the layman, is it suffice to say Labour represents the working classes and the Conservatives the middle classes?

Is it really that simple?

Comments

• JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    When they get in power not very much.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha um no.

One wears a red rosette, the other wears a blue rosette and both represent corporate interests. Other than the colour of the rosette there's nothing between them.
  • Barb E DahlBarb E Dahl Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    When they get in power not very much.

I agree and it's pretty disgusting.
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Haha um no.

One wears a red rosette, the other wears a blue rosette and both represent corporate interests. Other than the colour of the rosette there's nothing between them.

Thanks, TS. And I guess whatever the incumbent party says, the opposition says, well, the opposite.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Con'Dem'd have more PPEs in the Cabinet than Labour have in their Shadow Cabinet
  • Barb E DahlBarb E Dahl Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    The Con'Dem'd have more PPEs in the Cabinet than Labour have in their Shadow Cabinet

What's PPE?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Labour skint the country out with all its barmy ideas,Torys have to rebuild the wrecked Labour mess that they leave.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones not in power always have the answers that the ones in power can't figure out ?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tories call Labour supporters 'lefties' or 'liberals' who haven't a clue about the reality of the world and they're responsible for all the ills in the world. The Labour supporters call the Tories 'right wingers' and they're cruel, uncaring and snobs who hate the poor and are responsible for all the ills in the world.

In reality it doesn't seem to matter a jot who's in power.
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    The Tories call Labour supporters 'lefties' or 'liberals' who haven't a clue about the reality of the world and they're responsible for all the ills in the world. The Labour supporters call the Tories 'right wingers' and they're cruel, uncaring and snobs who hate the poor and are responsible for all the ills in the world.

In reality it doesn't seem to matter a jot who's in power.

Course it matters Labour wreck the finances of the country,
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lesley365 wrote: »
    Course it matters Labour wreck the finances of the country,

And what are you? The Chancellor or something? :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    And what are you? The Chancellor or something? :yawn:

No just someone thats read the news.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Awaits the dog-eared old Churchill quip*
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,778
    Forum Member
    Between Real Labour and The Tories there are loads of differences.

Between Tony Blair "New Labour" and The Tories, not much difference. Its why I wish uber Blairities would leave the Labour Party.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    OK, not heard this one. So what are the main differences between the Conservatives and Labour?
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I see, not much difference at all and Tony Blair proved that.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Labour hasn't represented the working class in years. Truth be told there is no one who truly represents the working class.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference tonight is 13%.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    lesley365 wrote: »
    No just someone thats read the news.

News as in "real news" or the bullshit that passes for tabloid toilet paper?
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, TS. And I guess whatever the incumbent party says, the opposition says, well, the opposite.

If the Tories decided to give every family £1m each, Labour would oppose it. And if Labour gave tax breaks to the rich the Tories would oppose it.

Its a strange world is opposition.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour pretend to be interested in representing the 'working man' whilst lining their own pockets and doing as the corporate lobbyists want.

Tories dont give enough of a shit to pretend.

The outcome is the same regardless.
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    The names are different.

That's it, I'm out.

Regards,

Cypher
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly not a great deal, they both suck corporate c*ck, they both put profit before people,
    anyone who thinks 'new' Labour represent the working class were probably first time voters in 1997,

If anything it's the general 'tone' that I despise about the Tories,
    Labour have certainly changed with the times and moved more towards the 'centre'

The Tories and most of their supporters and backers have hardly moved at all in the past 50-60 years,
    They still pretty much blame the poor for being poor, They despise trades unions or any organisation that supports a level playing field, (while never, or rarely, openly admitting it of course)
    The current lot are hell bent on attacking and scapegoating the 'new enemies' (after castrating the unions the last time they held power) they are, the welfare system and those who depend on it, They have managed, in a little under two years to do something which I would have thought impossible just 10 years ago,
    and that is to turn huge numbers of the British public against the sick and disabled, and everyone on the dole,

A large percentage of the public actually believe that,
    A/the current economic crisis was CAUSED by the sick the disabled and the unemployed,
    and, B/ that the current economic crisis will be resolved by 'punishing' the sick the disabled and the unemployed,

This has been done deliberately and cynically by this government in order to deflect public attention away from those who actually DID create this mess,

and THAT is why I shall continue to reluctantly vote Labour, Because sadly at the moment they are the only party who can rid us of the Tories.

These are MY opinions based on MY life and experiences, other opinions and experiences are also available,
    :cool:
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    The main difference is that the Labour Party pretends to care.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the layman, is it suffice to say Labour represents the working classes and the Conservatives the middle classes?

Is it really that simple?
    Once upon a time the differences were more clear. Not so much nowadays.
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour pretend to be interested in representing the 'working man' whilst lining their own pockets and doing as the corporate lobbyists want.

Tories dont give enough of a shit to pretend.

The outcome is the same regardless.

Not quite. While both are on the corporate payroll, Labour still has some compassion. They reversed the extremism of Thatcher and Major, in that, e.g. where the former abolished wages councils Labour bought in a minimum wage and signed up to EU Social Charter.
    About 1994 my local hospital took self governing status under the NHS management policy of Majors government. The hospital managers then gave themselves an 11% pay rise, and sent me and others a letter informing us we would now have to pay £80 a year for a vital treatment without which we would die.
    The latter example perfectly illustrates the differance between Conservative and Labour. Labour were as content as the Conservatives with 'top' people, hospital managers or anyone else in the most senior of posts, filling their boots at the publics expense, but they outlawed the treatment charge I referred to above.