Watching films illegally online – Megaupload

Remember Megaupload that was basically just used to watch films/tv shows illegally?

Well the man behind it has set up "Mega" which is basically the same thing.

Do you think it's going to be shut down? It doesn't seem like shutting down Megaupload did anything to combat piracy anyway...

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/news/2013/january/mega-website-to-replace-megaupload/

Comments

• ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if they shut them down then they'd have to do the same to Dropbox, Google Drive etc, as they do the same thing?
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Doubt he or it will last long. US seems pretty intent on bringing him down.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Surely if they shut them down then they'd have to do the same to Dropbox, Google Drive etc, as they do the same thing?

Yes, it's not really offering much that you can't already do with a file server. That's a hell of a lot of free storage though. If I wanted a place to make a secondary backup of, say, all my FLAC files and images, it would be perfect. Note I said secondary, mainly because I'm sure someone will try and close it down. Once you piss off the entertainment sector you are pretty much treated like a terrorist by the US government.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Actually it's not a service that allows you to watch illegal movies, and neither was Megaupload. It's a cloud storage/file locker service. Most certainly you can use it to store illegal movie files but that's no different to Drop Box, Google Drive and the other similar services.

However, as Kim Dotcom has already pissed off Hollywood, and is fighting them at almost every turn it seems so still pissing them off, I fully expect his new service to be a major target.

But the studios have already been making noises about the likes of Drop Box and Google Drive, saying they too can be used for piracy (which of course, is true they can be) and at some stage I expect them to become targets too.

Mega Upload was used by users to store an awful lot of pirated files, that's certainly true, but when it was taken down the studios and their agents made absolutely no distinction and a huge amount of perfectly legal files were lost too. They've done the same with website seizures, instead of taking down the websites that were hosting illegal files they've usually taken down an entire domain taking offline perfectly legal websites hosted on the same servers. And then they wonder why it's also annoying legal webmasters too.