Electronic cat deterrent in neighbour's garden

Juliet_G_Juliet_G_ Posts: 426
Forum Member
My mum's cat has not been seen since the morning on Thur 25, completely out of character so we're really worried, especially with hot weather. We've done flyers, posters, online campaigns, knocked on close neighbour doors. Immediate neighbour said she was sure he wouldn't be in her garden because she has recently installed an electronic cat deterrent.

In my panic and grief, it's taken a couple of days for that information to fully sink in and I am only now making the link and wondering if it's a factor in Charlie's disappearance.

For sure I am going to ask them to turn down the frequency and range to make absolutely sure it is only affecting their garden but would be grateful for any anecdotes on how these devices have affected your pets, or advice on our rights to have a say on what they do it their garden. I plan to be completely reasonable when I approach them but if it comes down to it, if Charlie is still missing in the days ahead, I want to know I can flat out ask them to turn it off, even temporarily. Mum is absolutely heartbroken and I want to do everything I can to get him home. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen they work pretty well. I doubt you have any legal right to stop them using it though if it's in their garden. I know people across the back of us have one and cats avoid their garden and about 6 foot of the communal gardens here but make a bee line for our flats as it's obviously not reaching us.
  • Juliet_G_Juliet_G_ Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    That's my concern, if they've set the frequency so our garden is in scope, which surely isn't right. Certainly there's been a general absence of cats in our garden recently, not just Charlie. We've now asked them to turn off entirely for a few days then reset to a shorter range. We can only hope.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck hope he returns.