Options

Gerbil sexual frustration

RedOctopusRedOctopus Posts: 328
Forum Member
Hey all and thanks for any advice in advance.

I have had two boy gerbils for about four years. One of them has often seemed to be somehow trying to mount the other. Recently this has become more frequent. Looking through internet pages, it would appear that this is quite common when one gerbil is trying to achieve dominance over the other. For this reason, I haven't worried too much about it.

However, lately, it is happening much more often. Today I took the 'mounting' gerbil out of the cage as it looked like it was getting a bit too much for the other one. I noticed a lot of redness around his genital area and was really alarmed as I thought he was bleeding. It turns out that this was his penis, to be blunt, which was obviously out for activity.

As the other gerbil has started squeaking when this happens, I can't believe it is much fun for him. So has anyone got any suggestions as to how to calm the horny gerbil down? It has been months now and doesn't look as though it will just go away.

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short of splitting them up, which if their not fighting isn't advisable, the only thing you can do really is have him neutered to calm him down. You would need to find a very good small animal vet for this, but bear in mind a vet may well say their too old. Surgery on any rodent is tricky and not without risk anyway even in a young animal, and four is a pretty remarkable age for a gerbil! Otherwise as long as there's no aggression or fights I would leave them be, try adding more stuff for them to chew on and play with to distract them. The best thing about gerbils is their so cheap to entertain, bung them in a load of cardboard out of your recycling box, it'll keep them occupied for ages:D.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send for Richard Gere?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if this or "Dogs anal gland emptying" is the thread title of the year so far....