Options

pc to tv connection

i have a sony kdl32v5500 and my pc has a nvidia 7600 gt with dvi connection and an s-video whats the best way to connect this to watch movies stored on pc :confused:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    dvi to hdmi cable
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,528
    Forum Member
    DVI lead to HDMI - S-Video would be absolutely appalling quality.

Depending on exactly what the DVI socket is, a DVI to VGA lead might be needed instead - and may well work better, 'plug and play' seems to work better with VGA than HDMI.
  • Options
    Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget audio. You will need a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to same or two phono plugs depending in the TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    Don't forget audio. You will need a 3.5mm stereo jack plug to same or two phono plugs depending in the TV.

Or an RCA to RCA cable if your PC an SPDIF output to connect to a home cinema amp :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    martysport wrote: »
    Or an RCA to RCA cable if your PC an SPDIF output to connect to a home cinema amp :)

Why RCA? - very few computers use RCA (phono socket) for SPDIF, usually it's a 3.5mm stereo jack.
  • Options
    andy173andy173 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    i have bought a dvi to hdmi cable and have conected this realy happy with pic quality just wondered if there is a way to get my tv speakers to handle the sound instead of pc speakers :confused:
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy173 wrote: »
    i have bought a dvi to hdmi cable and have conected this realy happy with pic quality just wondered if there is a way to get my tv speakers to handle the sound instead of pc speakers :confused:
    Have a look round the back of the telly, or if your really desperate fish the manual out of the bin, wipe off last nights beer and curry and read that :D

One of the HDMI sockets may have an audio input socket alongside it. Sometimes it will be a mini jack socket or it could be a pair of phono sockets. Should be easy to identify as the HDMI socket and the audio socket should have a box round them to show they are associated with each other.

You then take a lead from the Line Out of the PC, where the PC speakers are currently plugged in to this socket. Either mini jack to mini jack or mini jack to phono as appropriate.

Another option is to use your video card. And that is not a typo. Some DVI video cards can take a digital audio signal from the PC sound card and push that out of the DVI connector so that is hooks up with the audio pins on the HDMI plug. Advantage of that is you don't need to faff around with extra bits of wire. But not all video cards support it and it does depend on having a digital audio output on the soundcard that you can hook up to.

And it may well involve getting inside the PC to make the connection, not sure how you feel about opening up the case and poking about inside. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

If I remember correctly, that Sony TV has multiple HDMI sockets, and one of them has a separate 3.5mm stereo jack socket for separate sound input for exactly this purpose.

So you need a 3.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stero jack lead as well, and make sure you use the correct HDMI socket.
  • Options
    andy173andy173 Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    ah works now was hdmi2 was using 1 :) is there any reason i cant use a double adapter on my sound card so both tv and pc speakers are connected:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ah works now was hdmi2 was using 1 :) is there any reason i cant use a double adapter on my sound card so both tv and pc speakers are connected:confused:

Not as such - but it may not work very well, you may have a delay in the TV speakers.