iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy SIII

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I can't vote I had an iphone 4 and recently swapped to a Samsung Galaxy S3 although a nice looking phone and screen I miss iphone and I'm going to get the iphone 5 as I find you have to change settings for the s3 to work properly and the sound quality is terrible making calls its like you're going through a bad signal area when you have fill signal.

Also the websites don't always display properly and if you need to click in a box to fill out a for it doesn't always work properly. I know on iphone it doesn't either but you can tell a lot of work has been put into iphones to make sure they are as compatible as possible.

Again with the S3 you can't hold it comfortably and not feel like you're not going to drop it.

I would say if you like complicated things the S3 is for you if not and you want to be able to pick up your phone and use it quickly and easily the iphone is for you.

I will vote in this poll once I try the iphone 5

None of this makes any sense try explaining what you mean instead of vague references.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Nor do I carry a spare battery around with me i suspect no one does on a daily basis. However when I travel away with work and I know I will be out from about 5am to midnight and watching movies on train using sat nav in the day on top of normal use it is nice to have the option to swap the battery out. Having some charge pack sticking out of your phone etc is not the same nor does it do the same job.

I like to carry a spare with me almost daily. You never know when you might need it. I commute for around 3 hours each way during the week. Somedays I read on my kindle and some days I like to browse the net, watch movies and play games on my phone/tablet. It's nice to know that I can use my phone as much as I want without worrying about the battery. I've only changed the battery a few times in the last 5 months but having The option is important to me.
    Forum Member
    I like to carry a spare with me almost daily. You never know when you might need it. I commute for around 3 hours each way during the week. Somedays I read on my kindle and some days I like to browse the net, watch movies and play games on my phone/tablet. It's nice to know that I can use my phone as much as I want without worrying about the battery. I've only changed the battery a few times in the last 5 months but having The option is important to me.

Fully agree exactly why the option is so important I would say and why I am annoyed at the likes of HTC for ruling out their phones for me.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My power monkey could recharge your phone, tablet or kindle:)
    Forum Member
    If you want to walk around with that hanging out of your phone ;)

Of course with the s3 you have the option of either
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    My power monkey could recharge your phone, tablet or kindle:)

My Android tablet could recharge my phone, your phone, your tablet.......

still easier to carry a spare battery though and charge one whilst the other is in use .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to walk around with that hanging out of your phone ;)

Of course with the s3 you have the option of either

I've used my power money a number of times. I don't ever remember walking around with it 'hanging out of my phone':confused: I plug it in when my phone is sitting there doing nothing.

I do wonder how after a long day, people manage to charge the two batteries, do you need to get up during the night to swap it over in your phone:)

However, enough of this banter. I will stand by my view that for the vast majority of people a phone in which you can change the battery cannot be a priority.
    Forum Member
    I've used my power money a number of times. I don't ever remember walking around with it 'hanging out of my phone':confused: I plug it in when my phone is sitting there doing nothing.

I do wonder how after a long day, people manage to charge the two batteries, do you need to get up during the night to swap it over in your phone:)

However, enough of this banter. I will stand by my view that for the vast majority of people a phone in which you can change the battery cannot be a priority.

I need to use my phone a lot when away certainly cant be having a charging pack hanging out of it :o

As you have never had two batteries obviously the concept is very confusing for I understand that, but there are chargers that charge phone and battery at same time amazing eh.

Not a priority for you no as apple don't give you the option only get what your given.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not the number 1 feature for a phone for most people, sure. But its better to have it than not, hence another advantage of the s3, which is what the thread is about.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    its not the number 1 feature for a phone for most people, sure. But its better to have it than not, hence another advantage of the s3, which is what the thread is about.

This sums it up the best.

Same as having an SD slot.

Oh and using it as a memstick! which i am most looking forward too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    I think for these reasons iphone users are looked upon with such humour, they will try and defend the indefensible because that is the way apple say it should be.

Don't need a removable battery, better without sd slot, widgets are rubbish better not having the option etc. it is very strange behaviour indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to use my phone a lot when away certainly cant be having a charging pack hanging out of it :o

As you have never had two batteries obviously the concept is very confusing for I understand that, but there are chargers that charge phone and battery at same time amazing eh.

Not a priority for you no as apple don't give you the option only get what your given.

Yeah, really confusing:rolleyes: So you buy another battery and another piece of hardware.

Not a priority for me and I don't own an iphone. Would be really interested to know the % of people who carry two batteries around:)
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, really confusing:rolleyes: So you buy another battery and another piece of hardware.

Not a priority for me and I don't own an iphone. Would be really interested to know the % of people who carry two batteries around:)

Did you not read all the posts? People dont carry a spare around all the time. Its very useful however for travelling alot where your not going to be near a power point for a while, and you dont wont a big dongle hanging out the bottom of your phone!
    Forum Member

Some people do yes still cheaper than your travel monkey thing which you buy ;) and have hanging out your phone for a few hours :D

Well for iphone users it would be 0%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if its more or less than the percentage who plug guitars into their iphone, a feature (the only one I recall) cited on DS as something the iphone can do that Android phones can't ;)
    The killer iPhone application [for this person] is the ability to plug a guitar (or keyboard) into it and have all the effets and different amp rigs available with no latency. A handy practice tool.

BUT more than that - you can record the guitar onto it via Garage Band which then can import into Logic Pro.
    However, it is because of this feature that I lean to the iPhone. It is something that the Samsung - currently can't do. Just as I'm sure the iPhone can't do things that the Samsung can
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if its more or less than the percentage who plug guitars into their iphone, a feature (the only one I recall) cited on DS as something the iphone can do that Android phones can't ;)

I agree. Not really into what each of the phones do as I've struggled to find anything that either iOS or Android does that would make me choose one over the other (and do stand by my view that the S3 is too big, a view I've had from many people and it will be interesting to see if Samsung release a s3 mini). Widget are a function on android which seem like a good idea but if I'm honest I haven't found one for my Ace 2 which makes me scream wow. All information I want immediately are things like emails, message, missed calls and both my Ace and my wife's ipad are capable of showing me those things when I switch them on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I was prepared to give the SIII the benefit of the doubt and went into an o2 store to have a play. I'm sorry to say that first impressions last and if you are used to handeling a cheap phone then go ahead and enjoy. I felt like I was stood in "toys r us" and having a go on some Fischer Price item... Not for me thank you!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impreza wrote: »
    I was prepared to give the SIII the benefit of the doubt and went into an o2 store to have a play. I'm sorry to say that first impressions last and if you are used to handeling a cheap phone then go ahead and enjoy. I felt like I was stood in "toys r us" and having a go on some Fischer Price item... Not for me thank you!

Pretty much how I felt when I saw the iphone 5;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Pretty much how I felt when I saw the iphone 5;)

Anika, what can I say, except you'd settle for a Skoda instead of a BMW ;):D
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My issue with Android is the store, the Nexus 7 is great but many apps are either not their, buggy or don't work at all.

I tried Text Twist 2 which didn't work, then Chuzzle, also didn't work.

Apps like TuneIn I can't seem to add my own radio stations which is annoying.

Many other games just aren't there at all and if they are they are in such a poor resolution, like a low quality phone app blown up.

I also can't find equivalents to iMovie, iPhoto, garage band...

The sad thing is jelly bean is an amazing OS, so much better than iOS6!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I tried Text Twist 2 which didn't work, then Chuzzle, also didn't work.

Many other games just aren't there at all and if they are they are in such a poor resolution, like a low quality phone app blown up.

Not my experience at all, particularly as most phone apps on Android are already designed for similar resolutions to the Nexus 7. Of course, I'm sure if you're determined enough, you can find some games that don't work, but off the top of my head....all the Angry Birds games (I think), Cogs, Temple Run,Plants v Zombies, World of Goo, Nova 3, Mass Effect infiltrator, Grand Theft Auto 3, Max Payne all run fine on Nexus 7, and look great, not at all like low quality phone apps blown up.

The only one I can remember trying that looked rubbish is Game Dev Story.
    I also can't find equivalents to iMovie, iPhoto, garage band...

you'll have to elaborate on what functionality you're missing - e.g. for iphoto, what do you want that the default Gallery app doesn't give? I use it for my DSLR photos and it works great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not my experience at all, particularly as most phone apps on Android are already designed for similar resolutions to the Nexus 7. Of course, I'm sure if you're determined enough, you can find some games that don't work, but off the top of my head....all the Angry Birds games (I think), Cogs, Temple Run,Plants v Zombies, World of Goo, Nova 3, Mass Effect infiltrator, Grand Theft Auto 3, Max Payne all run fine on Nexus 7, and look great, not at all like low quality phone apps blown up.

you'll have to elaborate on what functionality you're missing - e.g. for iphoto, what do you want that the default Gallery app doesn't give?

Plants vs Zombies especially the main menu does not look as good as the iPad version, I also found it laggy at times.

I want a video app where I can see the time line in a nice interface and cut it up to choose the best bits and so forth.

For photo I want an app with good editing tools, where I can automatically fix saturation, white balance, red eye... With a few clicks.

Games wise many games I play from Gamehouse, Playrix, Big Fish... Just aren't there at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    For photo I want an app with good editing tools, where I can automatically fix saturation, white balance, red eye... With a few clicks.

Can't help with the movies but a good starter for this would be Photoshop Express (free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.psmobile

CameraZoomFX is very popular too, but not tried it myself
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help with the movies but a good starter for this would be Photoshop Express (free)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.psmobile

CameraZoomFX is very popular too, but not tried it myself
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slide.cameraZoom

I will give them a go and say how I get on.

I must admit Android is akin to being let out the house on your own for the first time :D
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Given that quite a few people on this thread are saying that they like to have a 2nd battery at least 25%.