Do you consider yourself violent?

124»

Comments

• fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    Being 'violent' to me means something different to defending yourself or your loved ones.

Being violent is being easily provoked into anger and physical violence e.g if someone cuts you up on the car, you follow them for an argument or if you have a fight in a pub.

I am not violent at all. I am rather a peaceful person.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim_Bolton wrote: »
    As an addition to above post ^^ - what are you supposed to do if you aren't a physically aggressive person? It's all very well trying to turn the other cheek. But what to do when you've been hurt so badly? Words are the only thing left surely?

I quite agree. I don't think 'words' are 'violent' in the same way as violence is:o.

And you do have to have the means to defend yourself.

Being absolutely supine is not the only 'non violent' stance.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizix wrote: »
    Non, I'm very light hearted and chilled out, it takes a lot for me to get properly pissed off too, and then if I do get to that point I'm more likely to tell someone to go to hell and walk away than get confrontational.

And defending yourself if needs be does not make someone violent, that's just silly. Someone is beating the crap out of you; "must not strike back, that would make me violent". Lol

I completely agree.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im gonna go on a slight tangent , with this

i was recently on an nvq level 2 course in adult social care

one of the questions on the coursework was '' what would you do if you saw a fellow care worker hitting a resident ? ''

now my natural instinct would be to step in , and give him a slap , and then report him through the manager etc

now this was discussed by our group (of about 20) and the course teacher

apparently the correct approach is to never step in , no matter the circumstances , but to just report to the care home manager , and for him to go through the propper channels , police etc

so even if you are actually watching first hand , an elderly lady in a wheelchair getting smacked about or molested or such ,,,,,,,,,, you cant step in and use reasonable restraint ?

''no you will lose your job''

utter bollocks ,, and more proof that the world has gone mad in its namby pamby political correctness .

i would have to risk job loss then , because theres no way i could watch an act of violence like that and not give the instigator a taste of his own medicine .

whatever happened to common sense ?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm aware that I have a violent side to me, But I bury it and avoid conflict as I am afraid to let that part of me free.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'm aware that I have a violent side to me, But I bury it and avoid conflict as I am afraid to let that part of me free.

Your user name is a bit of a clue. :p
    Forum Member
    Fizix wrote: »
    Non, I'm very light hearted and chilled out, it takes a lot for me to get properly pissed off too, and then if I do get to that point I'm more likely to tell someone to go to hell and walk away than get confrontational.

It takes a lot to get me really pissed off, but if you are one of those people that does manage to push me over the edge, be somewhere else, as I will rip you to shreds with words.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr mgee , dont make me angry , you wouldn't like me when im angry
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    I get angry which usually leads me to punching a pillow

So I'm probably violent
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get angry which usually leads me to punching a pillow

So I'm probably violent
    Better an inanimate object than a person! :eek:
  • Phaz0rPhaz0r Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really that violent, but probably should be. From some of the comments I make to people I'm probably going to need somebody to fix up my jaw eventually.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Well I once punched someone in the neck at school for being an annoying twonk so yes, I guess I am.
  • giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Well I once punched someone in the neck at school for being an annoying twonk so yes, I guess I am.

Gotta be best post of the week. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha!
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only with objects. I do think I have the potential to be violent though but I keep it under control.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member

I shouldn't laugh but i must admit to a smirk. :D
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    giz a tab wrote: »
    Gotta be best post of the week. :D:D

I note his DS lights have been punched out.:(:D
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would take an awful lot to rise me to the point of violence (rarely if ever happens) and after drink I usually get more jollier with even people I don't like :p
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    It would take an awful lot to rise me to the point of violence (rarely if ever happens) and after drink I usually get more jollier with even people I don't like :p
    I can just picture you dancing to the Irish violin music to someone you usually hate, then giving them a warm hug! ^_^
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Oliver_Ustinov;71278355]I can just picture you dancing to the Irish violin music to someone you usually hate, then giving them a warm hug! ^_^[/QUOTE]
    Ah now that's taking Irish stereotypes a bit far :p
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    no but i usually want to rip people limb from limb when they give me bother but i control myself. I got into a few scraps at school but it was always the others who started it.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No I've never hit anyone in my life even if I get attacked I won't fight back.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    no but i usually want to rip people limb from limb when they give me bother but i control myself. I got into a few scraps at school but it was always the others who started it.

Yeah sometimes I get that feeling as well
    Forum Member
    I got into a few scraps at school but it was always the others who started it.

That's what they all say, you trouble maker. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I grew up with a violent dad, and my older brother, too, became violent. I've seen the result of violence and it's not pretty.

Having said that, if I was in a position where the only thing that would prevent my loved ones or myself from getting hurt then I'd definitely do all in my power to prevent that from happening.