Why axing BBC 3 could be a good thing.

Comments

• bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes and no. Technically you can legally if you are in a European country as it comes under Article 14 of the European Convention on Human rights (Again no one has to like it, but thats what it says). In practice though broadcasters will invariably cite 'rights issues' to absolve themselves from legal responsibility. There are ways around it but you'll have to Google them as I'm most likely not permitted to give out that information. Big companies hate freedom of speech and will do anything to deny one that right.

Oh, so not just the BBC who discriminate online then?
    Bit dumb to roll that arguement out, when it is not a unique BBC issue.

Mind you dosen't BBC Worldwide have a General Entertainment channel across Europe? I assume that is not blocked.
    Unlike BBC World News which is blocked in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Oh, so not just the BBC who discriminate online then?

Oh goodness no. 90% of major networks in the U.S do as well though i'm not sure about relevant law there. I would have to research legal precedent cases with regards to the equivalent law, the First Amendment. As for the UK and Europe Google allows it and even blocks content themselves in the Play store and on Youtube and as they have a UK base so are in violation. I don't know about commercial broadcasters here either. I would have to run through a U.S proxy and test it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adamsk wrote: »
    What was the last show what made a big impact on BBC Three.

It could lead to better tv than a water down production.

In response to the OP.

Pramface.

Bad Education.

Little Britain.
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to get all indignant about the Beeb making Three online only but then realised, all I ever watch on it is Family Guy and American Dad. I can watch those on FOX. So, at least in my house it won't be missed,
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mRebel wrote: »
    And when it's online only those of us without a tv licence will be able to watch it live, legally.:D

Danny Cohen apeared on Richard Bacon's show on R5 today, and confirmed that the BBC intends to ask the government to make it necessary to have a tv licence to use the iPlayer.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how axing the channel is going to be a good thing. It is not really the channel we are losing but the investment the BBC is making in programs that it aimed at BBC3 viewers.

They are actually replacing BBC3 with the BBC+1 so for a start they are keeping the channel open so not saving an costs from that route. Then 30 million of the 100 million from BBC3 is going into BBC one drama (why does this not go into BBC 1 / 2 comedy). So for them to making any savings from axing BBC3 you have to ask just how much money are they going to invest well in BBC3 online programs. The answer is going to be not very much 10-20 million so you will end up with 10th of the current BBC3 content.

Good news is we may get more drama on BBC so the Tories can recall what it was like in t he good old days(1700's) went they did not have to worry about the riff raff quite so much.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Danny Cohen apeared on Richard Bacon's show on R5 today, and confirmed that the BBC intends to ask the government to make it necessary to have a tv licence to use the iPlayer.

Did he actually say that?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    "Our War" possibly. Or any of these.
    The channel has had critical and popular successes, winning more awards in its eleven-year history than its commercial rivals (Sky1, Sky Living, E4, ITV2, Channel 5 and Comedy Central) have won in their combined 25-year history.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »

Yes he did. The BBC will argue for it to be included in the next Charter (which comes into effect on 1 January 2017).

Listen from 01:28:40:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03wnxbf
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Yes he did. The BBC will argue for it to be included in the next Charter (which comes into effect on 1 January 2017).

Listen from 01:28:40:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03wnxbf

Good, I hope it does. Ideally stretching to all of the on-demand services provided by the broadcasters.

Not including the likes of Netflix though.

Although I know already that it won't get approved, the Tories want rid of the BBC to aid Murdoch so they aren't going to do something to help them.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Just to correct you, as far as we know it''s not being axed, it is simply moving to an online distribution model via iPlayer (so even if its linear schedule disappears, the programming will still be there, albeit without repeats).

Just to correct you, Tony:

It's The British BROADCASTING company not the Pick 'N' Mix On-Line-Only Bodge It And Run Mob.

It should be printed on your ID card if you forget.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    IThey are actually replacing BBC3 with the BBC+1 so for a start they are keeping the channel open so not saving an costs from that route.
    On teh broad assumption that the BBC was already planning a +1 lauch (in fact, they were) then they are now re-using space so saving on having to lease additional space elsewhere for that launch. The partnering assumption is taht the BBC would be unable (prevented?) from leasing out the old BBC Three space as it has to be used by the BBC. So the Three space would have been lying idle anyway.
    Then 30 million of the 100 million from BBC3 is going into BBC one drama (why does this not go into BBC 1 / 2 comedy).
    Presumably because Hall sees quality drama as something that they need to beef up (and drama costs a lot of money to produce).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to correct you, Tony:
    Since you quoted my post, I presume that you are addressing me, not Tony (whoever he is). My name is mossy2103, or mossy. for short.
    t's The British BROADCASTING company not the Pick 'N' Mix On-Line-Only Bodge It And Run Mob.

It should be printed on your ID card if you forget.
    You really do have a problem don't you. I beginning to find your inability or unwillingness to engage in a mature discussion rather endearing.

I don't have an ID card btw, I don't know why I would need one. :confused:
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On teh broad assumption that the BBC was already planning a +1 lauch (in fact, they were) then they are now re-using space so saving on having to lease additional space elsewhere for that launch. The partnering assumption is taht the BBC would be unable (prevented?) from leasing out the old BBC Three space as it has to be used by the BBC. So the Three space would have been lying idle anyway.

Presumably because Hall sees quality drama as something that they need to beef up (and drama costs a lot of money to produce).
    Then why should it just be for BBC1? Let's face it apart from a few exceptions BBC1 is the home of the bland and safe. Why not give some of it to BBC2 to make more challenging drama?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then why should it just be for BBC1? Let's face it apart from a few exceptions BBC1 is the home of the bland and safe. Why not give some of it to BBC2 to make more challenging drama?
    I would guess that Hall feels that it's drama on the flagship channel that needs improving (your comment about the bland & the safe seems to suggest that as well), Let's hope that it does the job.

I think that, broadly speaking, and as far as challenging drama goes, BBC Two does pretty well. It has a good track record in that area, unlike BBC one (Hunted anyone?)
  • arista_tibb7arista_tibb7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    JVD wrote: »
    Hope to see a reduction in the TV license if 3 and 4 do go.

No as BBC3 Online goes on after 2015

And BBC4TV goes on
    but will less budget

So they are not Killing BBC3
    just moving it to
    what they see as its market - Online 24/7

No Reduction
    the BBC is angry that the BBC Tax is frozen
    and can not go up,
    but Life is tough in these years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And BBC4TV goes on
    but will less budget
    I haven't seen any quote which says that BBC Four's budget will be reduced :confused:
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess that Hall feels that it's drama on the flagship channel that needs improving (your comment about the bland & the safe seems to suggest that as well), Let's hope that it does the job.

I think that, broadly speaking, and as far as challenging drama goes, BBC Two does pretty well. It has a good track record in that area, unlike BBC one (Hunted anyone?)
    Which is my point. BBC1 drama isn't non challenging because of lack of funds it is because it is more obcessed with ratings than other BBC channels.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It could lead to better tv than a water down production.

BBC Three has produced some good serious programmes, I always though Kara Tointon's programme on Meares Irlen should have got an award but most of the complaints seem to be about loss of some cheap American cartoons, hardly the way to influence the people who make the decisions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is my point. BBC1 drama isn't non challenging because of lack of funds it is because it is more obcessed with ratings than other BBC channels.

I see your point, - challenging drama can be popular, but sometimes it's risky on BBC one, More money = more dramas (and hopefully of a higher quality with better production values). But much lies with the commissioning process, as very often the best ideas on paper simply don't work on screen or don't click with the viewer.

And sometimes the people who commission the programmes seem to live in some strange land with a real-world disconnect (Exhibit 1 - Don't Scare The Hare. Exhibit 2 - That Puppet Game Show - who ever gave the green light to these should never be allowed near the commissioning process again)
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I don't have an ID card btw, I don't know why I would need one. :confused:

To get into Broadcasting House! Or have you also cutback on security there, Tony?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get into Broadcasting House! Or have you also cutback on security there, Tony?
    You must be amused by that - never mind.

If you have nothing constructive to add to a discussion, then it's always a good policy to stay silent,
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously this is just pathetic...
  • mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »

He said exactly that. It'll be on the iPlayer now, Richard Bacon show of Thursday, at about 3.25pm when he speaks.
  • BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    BBC3 won't be axed, this is a political masterstroke by Tony Hall.

He knows that it will start a campaign similar to the "Save 6 Music" one, and the Labour Government will put the licence fee up as soon as they are elected next year.

This will allow them to keep all of their channels and launch BBC1+1.

The Trust won't allow them to scrap BBC3 - it performs an important public service role in programming for young people.

I don't think we're going to get a repeat of what happened with six music this time around.