Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    But once the race and you got to Brits in the top three there is generally a thaw at least for the lap of honour etc...

Gee, the lengths some people will go to to find something to nit pick our successful sports people about....
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    But once the race and you got two or moreBrits in the top three there is generally a thaw at least for the lap of honour etc...

He's got his arm around Mo now so I hope that makes you happy. :p
  • Options
    BaccattackBaccattack Posts: 2,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Did anyone see what happened to the Swiss?
    I only caught a brief flash from the head on replay of the start, she stopped after a few meters and I don't recall seeing a baton in her hand :o I didn't catch it properly so guess she thought it was a false start as someone else mentioned.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    A really brilliant championships. A lovely blend of youth and experience in that GB team at the moment. Established names like Farah and Rutherford producing the goods, new names like the mens and women's sprinters really stepping up.

I'm particularly pleased by the relays. It's almost as if we've realised that if we can nurture significant depth in those events, then put lots of practice into the changeovers - then medals are there for the taking. Obviously, both sprint teams have yet to come up against the Jamaican's and US - but if they can keep building and improving, then they can at least throw themselves into the mix come 2016/17.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Gee, the lengths some people will go to to find something to nit pick our successful sports people about....

Wow, can't I ask a question...It is not like I am stating it as a matter of fact!
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British track & field is the most exciting it has been for years.

Track, certainly. Field, not so sure.

Desiree always runs so wide on the bend! A few hundredths to be gained there!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Bolt says he'll go after 2017 season but may go earlier if Rio doesn't go that well. Blake and Weir will still be around though as will Bailey-Cole who beat him in Glasgow. Bound to be a couple of Americans come through plus other Caribbean athletes. So it will be difficult but then that's life as a sprinter. I don't think we'll see some one all dominant after Bolt for some time.
    I know Bolt has run th 400m and set a time and it's been suggested that he might move up but hasn't it also been rumoured that he would have a crack at the longjummp?

I know there is technique involved but that runway speed would be a good advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Track, certainly. Field, not so sure.

it saddens me to see our lack of competitiveness in the mens javelin...:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil Black looks delighted :D
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we doing better because of CVC or better without him?
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swiss girl dropped the baton after about 3 strides.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make it even better, I'm pretty sure ALL the French silvers were won in races where the Brits beat them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Are we doing better because of CVC or better without him?

Personally, I think he did more harm than good, he wasn't a good people manager at all.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I know Bolt has run th 400m and set a time and it's been suggested that he might move up but hasn't it also been rumoured that he would have a crack at the longjummp?

I know there is technique involved but that runway speed would be a good advantage.

Well, Carl Lewis has done it. No reason why Bolt couldn't have a crack.
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swiss girl dropped the baton after about 3 strides.

Poor girl looked so nervous before the start! The pressure was on.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To make it even better, I'm pretty sure ALL the French silvers were won in races where the Brits beat them!

no not all of the French silvers were in events that Britain beat them.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Did anyone see what happened to the Swiss?

Opening girl lost baton. I think when transfer from one hand to the other...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Well, Carl Lewis has done it. No reason why Bolt couldn't have a crack.
    Yes but he trained and learnt the technique at the same time as sprinting.

For Bolt it may be an afterthought and just something to do to pass the time when he retires from sprinting and he might not put the same amount of effort into it.

Saying that, will the speed makeup for the lack of technique?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I think Usain wants to play cricket too, would be an interesting career switch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    France beaten by the Germans again. It's like deja vu all over again. :D
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When's Michael Johnson coming back to the commentary team?

Denise and Colin tend to talk in platitudes. Paula Radcliffe is a bit better, but they've really been missing Michael's no-nonsense style and technical insights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He could barely fit the medal over Harry AA's head. :D
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've still got Greg and the 4x100 girls to come with their medal ceremonies.
  • Options
    ory26ory26 Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Congratulation Team UK, little sad France (i'm french in London) is not first for gold medals, but with 9 gold and 23 medal overall, it's our best athletics european championships ever.

Start of the european aquatics championships tomorrow, i will cheer both teams, as i made during this week ;-)
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    When's Michael Johnson coming back to the commentary team?
    Probably not until the 2015 World Championships (just over a year away now).