Options

Texting on New Year's Eve into New Year's Day at midnight

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it a myth or truth that people receive texts hours later from people because of the amount of people texting at that time?

I guess the only way I could get someone to receive my text at midnight is to text an hour or two early, but even then they may receive it before midnight... whereas if I text at midnight, they may not receive it until like 8am.

Anyway, myth or fact?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I text the family about 11.30 ish..incase it dont get sent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    It's not a myth. Some networks do slow down, but it all depends on where you are, what network you're with and how lucky you are.

It happened last year, I had texts coming through in the early hours of the morning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    It is true that if you text ad midnight it probably wont get through at that time i normally text at around 11pm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    It is true. I gave up trying to send texts around midnight on Hogmanay years ago as either the network was too busy or the texts wouldn't actually be received until later on New Years Day.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Apart from the Millennium mine always arrived instantly.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally save my texts until the following morning.

No chance sending them at midnight. Anyway, chances are at that time I'm too drunk to be legible, as are most of the people who'd be texting me.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I got the texts around 4am onwards and no I wasn't up at that time but looked the following morning. Seemed odd knowing that they'd been sent at midnight.
  • Options
    Lobelia OverhilLobelia Overhil Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I text on Jan 1st because the texts sent at midnight don't get through
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true!.. Happend during 9/11 and 7/7 too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...back in the old days when we used to phone up friends and relatives after the bells, it was often impossible to get through as the phone lines were absolutely jammed .

I remember spending what seemed like hours trying to get through, out in the hallway stuck to the (non- cordless) phone... while the whisky flowed freely in the living room...and others would impatiently be trying to get you off the phone so that they could get their turn.

At least now with texts the recipient knows youve tried!
  • Options
    BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to be true a long time ago but I think its a myth now. I know this doesn't happen on O2 anyway

Over the past few years most networks have more robust systems which are capable of handling such events.
    Considering the amount of texts we send double every year they have the servers & machines to handle it now.

The past 2 years my texts went out and were received instantly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I pretend I sent the texts and then just blame it on the network being slow for them not arriving.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im still waiting to receive all mine from last year :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm usually trying to ring my Mum just after midnight to wish her Happy Birthday as well as Happy New Year - sometimes it takes a while to get through but only 10 mins or so. I don't usually have a problem getting texts though.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a myth. Last year I sent my texts about half an hour before midnight because the year before I just couldn't text all and kept getting a message saying "line busy", one of my friends did get my Happy New Year text, at about 5am!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I bet its a pain..Sending someone a Happy New Year to you all etc, and then waiting all night for a reply

:D