Options

The Tegan And Sara Appreciation Thread

P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
Forum Member
✭✭
Love these two, they have a great and unique sound.
Also love their new single closer.

Heartthrob is released on February 11th (January 29th in the USA and Canada)

I can't wait :)

Anyone else a fan on here?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heartthrob is released today in the USA and Canada :)

And even Katy Perry tweeted saying how she loved "Closer".
    And of course Paramore are great friends with Tegan and Sara so there's a lot of celebrity love for them.

I know that I'm probably typing this to myself as there have been no replies but just in case there are any lurkers that are also fans...
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like you're on your own. Not any more, though! I've been a big fan of theirs for about ten years. Almost no-one I speak to knows who they are, unfortunately.

I was a bit disappointed with Sainthood, as it was their first album that didn't have any songs that really jumped out and grabbed me. I'm enjoying Heartthrob much more, even though its really very different to their early stuff. There's an unusual (but good) 80s electro-pop quality to it. Stand-out track to me is "Now I'm All Messed Up."
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the new album on a recommendation from a friend and I absolutely love it. Best record I've heard in a long time. Greg Kurstin worked on it who is an amazing songwriter and producer.
    I have to admit I wasn't that familiar with their earlier music. I take it had more of an indie rock/folk sound. It takes a lot of guts to take a risk and change your sound like that. Sometimes it doesn't work but it works great for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Heartthrob is brilliant. Have it on repeat.

Only had the odd song from them before, but this album has prompted me to check out all their stuff. Sainthood so far seems the weak link.

Hope big things happen for them. One of the best pop albums in a long time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I got the new album on a recommendation from a friend and I absolutely love it. Best record I've heard in a long time. Greg Kurstin worked on it who is an amazing songwriter and producer.
    I have to admit I wasn't that familiar with their earlier music. I take it had more of an indie rock/folk sound. It takes a lot of guts to take a risk and change your sound like that. Sometimes it doesn't work but it works great for them.

Yeah, their older stuff sounds very different. But there is a noticeable progression in their sound through their albums. Each one is somewhat different to the last.

For an idea of the changes, listen to;

Under Feet Like Ours
    Our Trees
    This is Everything

This Business of Art
    Superstar
    The First.

If It Was You
    Monday Monday Monday
    Living Room

So Jealous
    You Wouldn't Like Me
    Walking with a Ghost

The Con
    Relief Next to Me
    Like O, Like H

I've missed Sainthood, as I wasn't that keen on it and can't really pick out any songs. It was where their sound made a shift away from Indie and more to Pop, but it didn't turn out that well. The big change was that previously, Tegan and Sara always wrote songs individually and then the albums would be made of songs written by each. Sainthood was the first time they actually wrote everything together and I think it made it all a bit "samey" and lacking in distinctive tracks. I think Heartthrob has gone back to them writing individually, but with the new sound - and its worked a lot better.

I think the tracks above show how they have progressed in style, but there has been a big leap recently. Whilst "Superstar" might be miles away from "Closer," even "Relief Next to Me "or "Like O, Like H" are not like anything on Heartthrob.

Of course there was always "softer" tracks going right back to the beginning. See something like My Number, from This Business of Art, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so relived that there are finally replies!

I'm quite a new fan though :o

So far I only own their three most recent albums...

I do really like songs like Northshore and Alligator on Sainthood though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P_P wrote: »
    I do really like songs like Northshore and Alligator on Sainthood though :)

I might have to give Sainthood another go. I was so disappointed with it first time round, I only listened to it a couple of times. Usually their albums grab me (at least on a few songs) immediately and I play them on repeat for ages. Sainthood didn't do that to me and it was a massive anti-climax (as I'd been eagerly awaiting it for ages).

But perhaps its time for a re-listen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Been listening to I'm Not Your Hero/I Was A Fool for the past three days non-stop haha. I think they could be big hits if they promote them. Looking forward to checking out their previous albums :)
  • Options
    spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Heartthrob, I think it's fantastic.

I love every song spart from I Couldn't Be Your Friend and the bonus tracks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tegan and Sara have announced UK tour dates. Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and London :) Tickets go on sale on Friday at 9:00 :)

http://www.teganandsara.com/more-tour-dates-in-europe/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me again :D

In case anyone is interested Tegan and Sara were on Jo Whiley's radio 2 show on Thursday so here's the link if anyone wants to take a listen. (They come on around 35:00)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020t3kl

They were also on Sunday Brunch on C4 yesterday :)
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sunday-brunch/4od