Athletics 2014

ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
seeing as it's not 2013 anymore...

2014 will be an exciting year in athletics - commonwealth games and the world relays, and of course the diamond league.

one of the first pieces of news this year is that kelly ann baptiste's doping hearing is set for the end of january.

anyway, let's discuss!

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll post a list in a couple of days, the action starts next weekend with the Edinburgh Cross country and then the indoor season starts in a few weeks.
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll post a list in a couple of days, the action starts next weekend with the Edinburgh Cross country and then the indoor season starts in a few weeks.

much appreciated!
    oh yes, so it does! it's rolled around quickly.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    seeing as it's not 2013 anymore...

2014 will be an exciting year in athletics - commonwealth games and the world relays, and of course the diamond league.

one of the first pieces of news this year is that kelly ann baptiste's doping hearing is set for the end of january.

anyway, let's discuss!

Also the European Athletics Championships (Zurich) in mid August.

Should be a good year. :)
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    My main hope is that Gemili builds on last yesr and can start to regularly hit below 10s and 20s - a genuine British sprint star would be a huge boost for UK athletics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, as promised, the key dates for the year.

Winter season

11 Jan - Edinburgh Cross Country
    25 Jan - Glasgow International Match
    15 Feb - Birmingham Grand Prix
    7-9 Mar - Indoor World Champs, Poland
    16 Mar - Cross Country World Champs, Spain

Summer Season

9 May - First Diamond League, Doha
    21 June-22 June - European Cup, Germany
    27 July-2 Aug - Commonwealth Games, Glasgow
    12-17 Aug - European Champs, Zurich
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a bump reminding everyone about the Edinburgh Cross Country tomorrow.

And news this morning that Jess Ennis will be taking out this season to have a baby. Good news for her and Katrina Johnson Thompson, not such good news for BBC ratings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christina obergfoll the world champion has announced she's pregnant too. interesting!

what do you make of KJT's chances at a commonwealth medal now?

by the way did anyone see usain bolt on that jamie oliver show last night? he's so great. can't help but love him. what a character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    christina obergfoll the world champion has announced she's pregnant too. interesting!

what do you make of KJT's chances at a commonwealth medal now?

Dead cert for Commonwealth gold, I'd have thought, but it would be more interesting to see if she does the Europeans as well.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dead cert for Commonwealth gold, I'd have thought, but it would be more interesting to see if she does the Europeans as well.

Not sure about that - should be a close battle between her & Brianne Theisen the world silver medalist. I think that Theisen-Eaton is probably at the upper limits of her abilities though whereas KJT is a few years younger and improving all the time.

I believe KJT plans to do the Hep in Glasgow & the Long Jump in Zurich. They are only a couple of weeks apart so too close together to do 2 Heptathlons really.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Not sure about that - should be a close battle between her & Brianne Theisen the world silver medalist. I think that Theisen-Eaton is probably at the upper limits of her abilities though whereas KJT is a few years younger and improving all the time.

I believe KJT plans to do the Hep in Glasgow & the Long Jump in Zurich. They are only a couple of weeks apart so too close together to do 2 Heptathlons really.

Also don't forget the other Canadian, Jessica Zelinka who has confirmed she will be doing the heptathlon this year and is targeting the Commonwealth Games.

I wonder if Morgan Lake, although still very young, will be considered for a berth in Glasgow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Also don't forget the other Canadian, Jessica Zelinka who has confirmed she will be doing the heptathlon this year and is targeting the Commonwealth Games.

Had forgotten that the Canadians were in it, was just thinking she'd easily beat the Aussies or New Zealanders.:blush:

Anyway, Saturday's cross country races were very enjoyable. The British women's middle and long distance team is getting to be incredibly strong.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder will Canadians see Glasgow 2014 Commonwealths as important as Toronto 2015 Pan American Games?

In the Commonwealths they don't have the USA. but in the Pan Americans no UK teams. Australia. South Africa.

But Pan Americans has USA and Brazil
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right, as promised, the key dates for the year.

Winter season

11 Jan - Edinburgh Cross Country
    25 Jan - Glasgow International Match
    15 Feb - Birmingham Grand Prix
    7-9 Mar - Indoor World Champs, Poland
    16 Mar - Cross Country World Champs, Spain

Summer Season

9 May - First Diamond League, Doha
    21 June-22 June - European Cup, Germany
    27 July-2 Aug - Commonwealth Games, Glasgow
    12-17 Aug - European Champs, Zurich

Thank you grassmarket. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so usain bolt (no surprise) will be running in ostrava on june 29th. this is where, last year, he pulled out due to injury. he then made his debut in rome and was beaten by justin gatlin :( still annoyed about that, as it is what ultimately allowed for gatlin to win the diamond. no more of that this year hopefully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three PB's for KJT today at the Northern Indoor Championships.

SP - 12.49m, 60mh - 8.40s and 60m - 7.51s. Good to see improvement in two of her weaker events, Shot and Hurdles.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news . Chris Chattaway has died

Former British athlete Sir Chris Chataway has died at the age of 82.
    Chataway, who broke the 5,000m world record in 1954, is more famously remembered as the man who helped pace Sir Roger Bannister to breaking the four-minute mile barrier the same year.
    He was named the first-ever BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1954.
    Chataway, who also won the Commonwealth Games three miles title in 1954, was knighted for his services to the aviation industry in 1995.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/25801188
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »

Chataway, who broke the 5,000m world record in 1954, is more famously remembered as the man who helped pace Sir Roger Bannister to breaking the four-minute mile barrier the same year.
    He was named the first-ever BBC Sports Personality of the Year in 1954.
    Chataway, who also won the Commonwealth Games three miles title in 1954, was knighted for his services to the aviation industry in 1995.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/25801188

Yes, plus Newscaster, TV reporter, MP, Businessman, Executive of Charity organisations and still finding time for two wives and six children.
    Honestly what a full life! Makes me feel tired just reading it :D

Some people do pack a huge amount into life, and it does make me feel uncomfortably inadequate at this moment in time.

Hopefully it will pass :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »

]

Aha, just realised that I have been mixing him up him all weekend with Chris Brasher, who also was in the 4 minute mile race, and then went on to win Olympic Gold in the Steeplechase and to create the London Marathon :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few track athletes have managed to qualify in Bobsleigh for the upcoming Sochi Olympics. The best known:

Lauryn Williams (USA 100m and 4x100)
    Lolo Jones (USA 100m hurdles)
    Jana Pitmann (Australia 400m hurdles)
    Craig Pickering (UK, 100m)
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the start of the televised indoor athletics season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News about the competitors in Glasgow tomorrow.

http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/media/news/2013-news-page/january-2014/21-01-14-preview-release/

GB's Team is captained by William Sharman, so expect plenty of interviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another preview here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/25875897

Holly Bleasdale will be back in action in the pole vault after a couple of seasons where she hasn't really lived up to the hype.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB's Team is captained by William Sharman, so expect plenty of interviews.

Be grateful that unlike the team we don't have to sit through his captain's speech:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can't say i'm loving jonathan's glasses...
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no. I missed the start. Have I missed anything apart from the usual chat?