Do you consider yourself violent?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    not really but i have had moments:blush:.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    not at all for myself probably wouldn't even defend myself if someone went to hit me.

for my kids however I could maim, torture and probably kill lets hope the circumstances never arise where I have to find out
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I'm glad I read the thread before replying as it's given me pause for thought seeing Benji and Kate's posts.

I've always thought of myself as non-violent and I know others regard me in this way too but I HAVE lashed out at people when they have been harming others.
    Admittedly it was more to stop them, but I still have that instinct in me to grab someone away if they are beating someone up.

I've never hit anyone in temper and I really do try to talk, although I got injured by some guy once when I put my hand on his shoulder trying to placate him and he shoved it away.

The force he used (probably in anger) to move my hand away resulted in him breaking my wrist.

Ha Joni I could write a book a out violence , or lack of it. I, to my eternal shame held my little and beautiful. Daughter in front of me when she was 3 years old to prevent a battering. On one occasion tried to get out the door to escape violence and my husband actually bit my thigh and ripped a hinge chunk of flesh to prevent me from opening the door. On another occasion he had me pinned to the floor punching me and my wee son jumped on his back and was battering him with the phone. ,. In those days phones were fixed.:)
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Ha Joni I could write a book a out violence , or lack of it. I, to my eternal shame held my little and beautiful. Daughter in front of me when she was 3 years old to prevent a battering. On one occasion tried to get out the door to escape violence and my husband actually bit my thigh and ripped a hinge chunk of flesh to prevent me from opening the door. On another occasion he had me pinned to the floor punching me and my wee son jumped on his back and was battering him with the phone. ,. In those days phones were fixed.:)

I was telling my OH about you the other day and why you couldn't leave him. Not in a pitiful or patronising way, just about the sheer desperation and upset.

I admire you for what you have come through.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or are you more calm and relaxed? I would say I'm more calm and relaxed, I don't usually get violent unless something really pi*sses me off^_^

No, not violent. I abhor violence, except in pure self defence.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Christ Almighty :o

Hope you're OK nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I was telling my OH about you the other day and why you couldn't leave him. Not in a pitiful or patronising way, just about the sheer desperation and upset.

I admire you for what you have come through.

Get away. I was a coward. I live with that all the time. But life is not very black and white. It's a bit grey and when we are young it's tough . I would not be young now for all the world. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Christ Almighty :o

Hope you're OK nowadays.

I'm fine. I'm a survivor. I refuse to be a victim. I was a victim for too long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone tried to beat me up, I wouldn't try and knock them out, just restrain them and get them to bugger off

It's much harder to restrain someone than it is to fight someone. Ask any police officer. That is why you will see multiple officers restraining a violent prisoner. They (Police) arent allowed to have a free for all punch up - they have to try to restrain, detain, contain. It's really difficult to restrain someone who wants to fight. Have u ever tried to restrain a struggling child? Quite difficult, so imagine an adult in that situation.

Me-I'd either fight back or run away if someone came for me. Depends on what I thought my chances were.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get away. I was a coward. I live with that all the time. But life is not very black and white. It's a bit grey and when we are young it's tough . I would not be young now for all the world. :D

We've been here before :D You weren't, you survived it and you did what you had to do to survive.

Aye, the grey areas all mingle to the point it's easy to lose sight of the best thing to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is pretty terrible. I think boys suffer long term more from a violent childhood than girls. I expect I will get pasted for that statement.:)

I've never really thought about that so I am not sure. My mother experienced an unspeakably horrific childhood which would seriously damage anyone tbh.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Or are you more calm and relaxed? I would say I'm more calm and relaxed, I don't usually get violent unless something really pi*sses me off^_^

I once swore out of frustration at work.
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously respect anyone who has come out of a violent relationship and taught their children that violence is not the way forward.

That is got to be the most forward way.

However, no matter how we try to control those situations, children will have their own way of dealing with the inadequacy or feelings of despair.

Like I said before, if all those inadequacies can be channeled into positive energy like good marriages or relationships that can keep you focused on positive things....then all is going to be ok for those once damaged children that escaped the damage of their childhood.

But for others....then this is where the problems are always going to be.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not violent. I've never been in a fight, never hit or been hit.

I'm physically and verbally assertive and confident though, and have prevented violence on occasion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not violent. I've never been in a fight, never hit or been hit.

I'm physically and verbally assertive and confident though, and have prevented violence on occasion.

That's brilliant Rhumbatuuger.

What about a scenario that many of us have put to you, would you feel or act different?
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    No. I have boiled over a few times, but it's always been verbal and usually directed at myself or the world in general. A few maths book were thrown around when I couldn't do the homework. It seems a bit a pathetic now.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

My father beat my Mother and I used to try and defend her, my thoughts and my unrequited anger are with you benji. :cry: and those are real tears.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a child I used to be very volatile but as I got older much less so...

Despite that I've never thrown the first punch or raised my hand to a woman and those that do I have the utmost contempt for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    As a child I used to be very volatile but as I got older much less so...

Despite that I've never thrown the first punch or raised my hand to a woman and those that do I have the utmost contempt for.

You probably went on to join the secret services, didn't you?
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate03 wrote: »
    That's brilliant Rhumbatuuger.

What about a scenario that many of us have put to you, would you feel or act different?

Sorry kate, what scenario have you put to me?

I had a proper look at the thread and it's heartbreaking what people have gone through. But they have found the strength to get out of it and keep out of it.

And it will not happen to them again.

For the same reasons as it has not and will not happen to me.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    No, I'm not violent physically, only with words on occasions.

Unfortunately, I can't say the lack of physical violence applies to quite a few other members of the human species that I've met in my travels. Mostly under the effects of drink. If you're going to get violent or aggressive when drinking, don't drink, or cause the A&E department at the local hospital to be cluttered up with your victims, after you've been an arsehole towards them in your cowardly way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    No, I'm not violent physically, only with words on occasions.

Unfortunately, I can't say the lack of physical violence applies to quite a few other members of the human species that I've met in my travels. Mostly under the effects of drink. If you're going to get violent or aggressive when drinking, don't drink, or cause the A&E department at the local hospital to be cluttered up with your victims, after you've been an arsehole towards them in your cowardly way.

BIB - me too, and I'm heartily ashamed of it. It's my way of striking back but so wish I hadn't said the things I said. Words can be so utterly devastating and you can never take them back. You can apologise, feel utterly sorry, but they will never be forgotten. I honestly don't know what's worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    My father beat my Mother and I used to try and defend her, my thoughts and my unrequited anger are with you benji. :cry: and those are real tears.

The children suffer a lifetime of emotional trauma if they witness violence between the 2 people they love and trust. Some cope better than others, but it leaves scars. Thoughts with you Richard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an addition to above post ^^ - what are you supposed to do if you aren't a physically aggressive person? It's all very well trying to turn the other cheek. But what to do when you've been hurt so badly? Words are the only thing left surely?
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Non, I'm very light hearted and chilled out, it takes a lot for me to get properly pissed off too, and then if I do get to that point I'm more likely to tell someone to go to hell and walk away than get confrontational.

And defending yourself if needs be does not make someone violent, that's just silly. Someone is beating the crap out of you; "must not strike back, that would make me violent". Lol