Macbook Pro

BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a macbook pro, my laptop blew up a few weeks ago and I've been borrowing my partner's macbook since. In the past 5 years, I've had 2 laptops (low end, basic spec) and so I'm seeing this as an investment as I've heard they last!

I'm going from a Dell 15R - which is too big in terms of screen, I've looked at lots of 15.6 inch screens and not found anything I like, plus I've had a few plays on windows 8 and 8.1 and really really don't like it!

I can get this model with educational discount for £844.80, plus a £60 apple voucher (which I would put towards Office for mac)

For the machine and what I'm getting for my money, what do you guys think?

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/buy-mac/macbook-pro

It's the model on the far left.

Comments

• Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, if you like it and want it, go for it! But don't base this solely on the assumption that it's bullet proof and cannot go wrong. Every brand can have its lemons, including Apple.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13'' model? They don't mention the screen resolution, is it 1280x800? That's a bit low IMO.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    13'' model? They don't mention the screen resolution, is it 1280x800? That's a bit low IMO.

It's 1440x900
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    It's 1440x900

No, it's 1280x800. It's the old model they keep around to fill the bottom of the range spot.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/specs/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a low end 8'' tablet with that resolution, it's so so. Nowadays I'd expect full HD on 13''. But if the OP is used to the resolution and it's okay then... And maybe I'd want SSD instead of 5400rpm disk. But then a classic disk can remember data too, just not that fast :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had another look at that list. I think these days £844.80 is a rip off for those specs. If you can spare a hundred more, I'd go for the 128GB SSD Pro with retina display next to it. If you updated the specs of the other one to match RAM and disk, you get £1,033.20 and you are still stuck with an outdated screen. I think I'd pay £939.60 for the other laptop and be happy with what I got for it.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a macbook pro, my laptop blew up a few weeks ago and I've been borrowing my partner's macbook since. In the past 5 years, I've had 2 laptops (low end, basic spec) and so I'm seeing this as an investment as I've heard they last!

I'm going from a Dell 15R - which is too big in terms of screen, I've looked at lots of 15.6 inch screens and not found anything I like, plus I've had a few plays on windows 8 and 8.1 and really really don't like it!

I can get this model with educational discount for £844.80, plus a £60 apple voucher (which I would put towards Office for mac)

For the machine and what I'm getting for my money, what do you guys think?

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/buy-mac/macbook-pro

It's the model on the far left.

You haven't said what you intend to use it for.

I'm not an Apple basher, but you can get a very nice PC for £800. You can alter the look and behaviour of Windows 8 with software that costs a few quid.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that's putting me off the retina is that it doesn't have a disk drive, are mac external disk drives expensive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean optical drive? It's around £55 at Amazon. It's a trend to remove any moving mechanical parts from laptops. I have 2 laptops without DVD drive and an external Blu-ray writer, I may have used it a couple of times. It's just downloads and streaming now. But if you want to use it on the way, then yes, it's better to have it integrated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an ipod that most of my music is from cds, I'd need to import them somehow
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fewer moving parts inside, the greater the reliability. I'd go for the external optical drive. I've also (always) bought second-hand Macs. Usually, the Hard Drive needed replacing, however, so I factor that in to the total. (Typical life of a Hard drive is 3 years if you watch/record a lot of movies on it.)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends on budget and preferences, but I think the extra for the retina display is definitely worth it. Is there a store near you where you can look at them side by side to see the difference?

One option might be trying the refurb store, eg:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FE865B/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-24ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever Mac you get buy it from John Lewis for the 2 year guaranty
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was me i would keep away from that entry pro, and go for the Macbook Air , that way you get the SSD which makes a huge performance increase. Get a refurb from Apple, they have a 256GB SSD version of the 13" Air for £799 http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/13

You cannot tell its not brand new apart from the box. We have bought lots of these recently at work so i can vouch for the refurbs. Just get the Superdrive which is the external DVD drive for those odd times they get used which is very rare.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    What ever Mac you get buy it from John Lewis for the 2 year guaranty

There isn't a john Lewis near me, plus I don't get the educational discount - getting it directly from an apple store is my only option
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the retina now. Refurbished is £929, new is £939 plus a £60 voucher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the retina now. Refurbished is £929, new is £939 plus a £60 voucher

That refurb model has 256GB of memory compared to 128GB, so its more comparable to the model at £1199.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    That refurb model has 256GB of memory compared to 128GB, so its more comparable to the model at £1199.

256GB storage i assume mean rather than memory.
    256GB of memory would be rather large and expensive.
    2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage
    Intel Iris Graphics
    Built-in battery (9 hours)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't a john Lewis near me...

They do deliver...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    256GB storage i assume mean rather than memory.
    256GB of memory would be rather large and expensive.

D'oh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    They do deliver...

Yeah, but I'd prefer to buy it direct - same reason I'm going to the apple store rather than online.

And again, I wouldn't get the educational discount and I wouldn't get the £60 apple voucher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found out, on top of the educational price, I can get an extra 15% off with my NUS card, which brings the retina down to £700. Looks like this is the option I'll be going for :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out, on top of the educational price, I can get an extra 15% off with my NUS card, which brings the retina down to £700. Looks like this is the option I'll be going for :)

That's nice. You can consider doubling the RAM to 8GB now :D But even as it is it should be fine.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder if your 15R failed for similar reasons why the 2011 Pros are failing, that being a discrete GPU adding to the heat destruction mix.

I'd investigate Dell forums to see if there is enough evidence petition to get something done. One thing for sure, Dell will not let on about any high failure rates.

Regarding the Pro, take my note on long standing comment on laptops, that being that the slower the model(in same class), the less heat you get, and the more reliable it should become.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I do wonder if your 15R failed for similar reasons why the 2011 Pros are failing, that being a discrete GPU adding to the heat destruction mix.

I'd investigate Dell forums to see if there is enough evidence petition to get something done. One thing for sure, Dell will not let on about any high failure rates.

Regarding the Pro, take my note on long standing comment on laptops, that being that the slower the model(in same class), the less heat you get, and the more reliable it should become.

What does this mean?

And I don't understand your comment about the pro? As you can tell, I'm not computer-savvy.

I'm looking at the pro retina now :)