Options

Notice of Intended Prosecution

Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few weeks ago when I was coming off a motorway slip road at Gatwick someone cut in front of me and clipped my wing, I stopped and he said I had pulled in front of him and he was "indicating" although how I was supposed to see that when he came up from behind me to my right I dont know, There was minimal damage to the car, just a scratch and as cars were whizzing past and I wasnt the place to hang around, I jus drove away.

Yesterday I get a letter from Sussex Police saying they intend to prosecute me for Failing to Stop, Failing to Report an Accident, Careless or Inconsiderative Driving - WTF:o

How can this be so, this bloke who was quite old has obviously taken my reg no and reported me but how can they put the blame on me on his say so? I dont particularly like one of my neighbours - does that mean I can go to the police with hs reg no and say he cut in on me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you stated you "just drove away".
    did you exchange details before doing so? if you didn't then you left the scene of an accident, and it is that you are being summoned for.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, you can't 'just drive away' from an acccident. You need to exchange details with the other driver.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you stated you "just drove away".
    did you exchange details before doing so? if you didn't then you left the scene of an accident, and it is that you are being summoned for.

This exactly, driving away and not reporting is what's been taken into account in the terms of careless/irresponsible I'm afraid. This is a real tricky one for you now, because by not reporting the incident, it's really gonna look bad. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I know, but I'd never, having been involved in an incident, not take the other details and report it, you can't trust other people, strangers essentially. I've known people who have tried to sort out a cash in hand situation after a minor bump to only then get a call from their insurance company because the other party have went on to report etc, and they've been in that difficult situation of having not reported the incident at the time.

You might be in for an ordeal with this, hope you get it sorted, but it a cruel lesson :(
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know there was "minimal damage" to the other car? Since you didn't stop, you could only have assessed the damage to your own car well after the event.

You didn't stop. You drove off. You didn't swap details. And you're being prosecuted for it.

Learn from it!
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You failed to stop at the scene of an accident or attempt to exchange insurance info with the other driver...that is an offence which by your own admission here you are guilty of....and I would have reported you to the cops too.

As to who was at "fault" for the original incident...don't be surprised if there was a camera covering that slip road so they may have you bang to rights on the "careless driving" one too.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    You didn't stop
    You failed to stop at the scene of an accident
    Maria says that she did stop and even spoke with the other driver.
    I stopped and he said....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Maria says that she did stop and even spoke with the other driver.

she also said
    There was minimal damage to the car, just a scratch and as cars were whizzing past and I wasnt the place to hang around, I jus drove away.

the OP needs to clarify what she means by that.
    did she swap details or not. if she didn't then she left the scene of an accident.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a woman thing? It's hard to imagine a man just driving off after an accident.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Is this a woman thing? It's hard to imagine a man just driving off after an accident.

Nonsense.
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha-Ha. Its hard to imagine a more absurd statement!
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she also said

the OP needs to clarify what she means by that.
    did she swap details or not. if she didn't then she left the scene of an accident.

Quite...I doubt merely stopping (ceasing movement) alone does not qualify as the proper procedure at the scene of an accident...I suspect getting out, inspecting damage and exchanging information or reaching agreement with other driver on how to deal with damage will ALL have to be done to comply.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, you can't 'just drive away' from an acccident. You need to exchange details with the other driver.

You CAN just walk away as long as you're both in agreement and nobody is hurt. The trouble is these days you can't trust the other person not to make out they are the innocent party when they're not.

I have a dash cam...then there can be no dispute whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    You CAN just walk away as long as you're both in agreement and nobody is hurt.

there clearly wasn't agreement though, as stated in the original post.
    I stopped and he said I had pulled in front of him and he was "indicating" although how I was supposed to see that when he came up from behind me to my right I dont know,

the OP still hasn't clarified if they exchanged details or not.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago when I was coming off a motorway slip road at Gatwick someone cut in front of me and clipped my wing
    Others have already covered the main issue but I have another question.

People on motorway slip roads should be giving way to everyone they meet. How exactly did someone 'cut in front of you'?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the OP still hasn't clarified if they exchanged details or not.
    Or if she simply got back in and just drove away without an agreement.
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few weeks ago when I was coming off a motorway slip road at Gatwick someone cut in front of me and clipped my wing, I stopped and he said I had pulled in front of him and he was "indicating" although how I was supposed to see that when he came up from behind me to my right I dont know, There was minimal damage to the car, just a scratch and as cars were whizzing past and I wasnt the place to hang around, I jus drove away.

Yesterday I get a letter from Sussex Police saying they intend to prosecute me for Failing to Stop, Failing to Report an Accident, Careless or Inconsiderative Driving - WTF:o

How can this be so, this bloke who was quite old has obviously taken my reg no and reported me but how can they put the blame on me on his say so? I dont particularly like one of my neighbours - does that mean I can go to the police with hs reg no and say he cut in on me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My father in law was in a similar position (except that he was 82 and the other guy was in his thirties). Essentially you are stuffed unless you claim not to have been involved in the accident (which would be a lie and is not advisable, particularly if there were witnesses / cameras about).

If you had exchanged details with the other driver then you would probably be in the clear (although he could still report the accident to the police it would be his word against yours that you hadn't agreed to settle and the police wouldn't proceed).

Basically the police have got an easy conviction - you might get off on the careless charge but you get more points on a failure to stop / report charge anyway. If you are lucking you'll get 8 points and a moderate fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eh? And the random post award goes too

That junction will almost certainly be covered by CCTV and it's almost certainly the source of your NIP
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    That junction will almost certainly be covered by CCTV and it's almost certainly the source of your NIP
    It certainly is covered, but they don't normally seem to look at the slip roads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/surrey/trafficcameras/highwaysagency/13429
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did stop. There was extremely little damage. Which you and the other drive agreed. You were standing in a dangerous situation with heavy traffic passing constantly so you did not want to hang around to exchange details over such a minor bump. Also the accident was caused by the other elderly driver who cut in front of you when there was not enough space in front of you. The whole incident maybe on cctv so you will be fine if it comes to court.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did stop. There was extremely little damage. Which you and the other drive agreed. You were standing in a dangerous situation with heavy traffic passing constantly so you did not want to hang around to exchange details over such a minor bump. Also the accident was caused by the other elderly driver who cut in front of you when there was not enough space in front of you. The whole incident maybe on cctv so you will be fine if it comes to court.
    Are you coaching the defendant?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me 3-4 years ago. Woman just drove into me as I was exiting a roundabout - she simply did not stop at the give way. We were lucky not to be hit by other vehicles.

I pulled over, she pulled over. Came over to the car - did a '1 second long visual inspection', jumped into her car & drove off!

I had 2 little ones strapped in the back - she didnt give a toss!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    You should have exchanged details and not just driven off. Its not soley down to you to decide the damage was minor enough not to worry about.

The police have you bang to rights. However due to circumstances i expect a small fine and few points is all you will get.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry but that doesn't really wash with me, in a world were everyone has smart phones. Takes to seconds jumping out vehicle, quick photo, photo contains registration plate, and get name and number, could have been done in seconds... People have accidents are in all sorts of places, you could have both agreed to pull into hard shoulder to exchange info if time was an issue or location was extremely treacherous imo.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would tell your insurers right now and let them sort it out..you shouldn't have driven off and you should have reported the accident as soon as you got in regardless of whose fault your think it is...

The summons seems a bit harsh, usually a letter from the other insurers confirming your involvement is the first stage... However it's clear this old boy has gone straight to the cops..

All this is common sense really, driving off is not the thing to do.....