Options

Have you ever met any of your heroes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few weeks ago I was up at the Edinburgh Fringe watching the live stage version of Whose Line Is it Anyway a show of which I was a massive fan in my youth

Although for legal reasons it had to be called What Does The Title Matter Anyway

On the panel that night were Greg Proops Mike McShane Lee Simpson and Stephen Frost and Paul Merton even made an appearence for one of the rounds

I Met most of them and also met the one and only Clive Anderson

I could not have wished to meet a nicer bunch very gracious all of them

Have you ever met celebs you admire and had a good experience

Comments

• Options
    robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was up at the Edinburgh Fringe watching the live stage version of Whose Line Is it Anyway a show of which I was a massive fan in my youth

Although for legal reasons it had to be called What Does The Title Matter Anyway

On the panel that night were Greg Proops Mike McShane Lee Simpson and Stephen Frost and Paul Merton even made an appearence for one of the rounds

I Met most of them and also met the one and only Clive Anderson

I could not have wished to meet a nicer bunch very gracious all of them

Have you ever met celebs you admire and had a good experience

How was greg proops? I'm a huge fan and have always found him incredibly warm and friendly.

Hero wise I met arsene Wenger, robert pires, viera, petit and David seaman. Alo met Chris Eubank a fair few times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    How was greg proops? I'm a huge fan and have always found him incredibly warm and friendly.

Hero wise I met arsene Wenger, robert pires, viera, petit and David seaman. Alo met Chris Eubank a fair few times.

I found mr Proops exactly as you describe him no egos airs or graces from any of them
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I haven't but a mate of mine was lucky enough to meet David Attenborough in Africa "how do you do, I'm David". He said he was amazing and just like he is on the telly with the energy and enthusiasm of someone a fraction of his age.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes!

My lifelong hero, Thijs Van Leer from the Dutch prog rock band, Focus.

I saw them for the first time on The Old Grey Whistle Test in 1972 when I was 16 and it was love at first sound, I became obsessed and have been the same ever since.

In 2008, as a surprise, my brother bought tickets to take me to see them in concert. Not only was the show amazing, but the band invited fans to meet them to chat and get autographs. I got two lots of autographs, photos taken of us together, met all the band and I told him, my hero, completely unashamedly, that I love him.

It was better than it could ever have been in my wildest dreams. Who ever said 'Don't meet your heroes'!?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an Everton fan I have met Howard kendall at Manchester Airport, and have had drinks with Fleetwood Mac. But never in a million years would I call or refer to any celebrity that I am a fan off a hero, it's an insult to the word and people who are genuine heroes.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!!! Tori Amos, she was everything I had hoped she would be and more..lovely woman who was wonderful to chat to. It was all a blur, I wish I could remember every last detail. I met her just as I was finishing my degree, at the start of it I had a really really rough time and her music got me through it. (I am aware that sounds cheesy) I thanked her and she replied with "we did it together" as well as other stuff.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    As an Everton fan I have met Howard kendall at Manchester Airport, and have had drinks with Fleetwood Mac. But never in a million years would I call or refer to any celebrity that I am a fan off a hero, it's an insult to the word and people who are genuine heroes.

I disagree with that.
  • Options
    lustyrustylustyrusty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    My dad was a huge fan of Norman Wisdom and as a kid we met him on holiday. My dad sent me to get his autograph and as he signed it for me he threw himself down the stairs! Everyone started clapping and yelling. I have never seen my dad looked more thrilled. However since I was a small child and didn't know who Norman Wisdom was (or what he was famous for) I just stood there and cried. To this day old men near stairs freak me out........ My parents still find it hilarious.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lustyrusty wrote: »
    My dad was a huge fan of Norman Wisdom and as a kid we met him on holiday. My dad sent me to get his autograph and as he signed it for me he threw himself down the stairs! Everyone started clapping and yelling. I have never seen my dad looked more thrilled. However since I was a small child and didn't know who Norman Wisdom was (or what he was famous for) I just stood there and cried. To this day old men near stairs freak me out........ My parents still find it hilarious.

LOL that's hilarious. He's one of the best, what a legend :D

I've been around a few celebrities but never had the courage to say hello -- I always get the feeling I'd be annoying them! Though I once got an autograph off the Chuckle Brothers when I was ten - do they count?
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone on here ever meet their idol & get terribly, dreadfully disappointed & disillusioned? I have no experiences one way or another with my heroes.