Options

If Scotland vote no

Comments

• Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    If they Vote No then Salmond will blame companies and politicians for lieing etc etc and demand a referendum every few years until he gets the answer he wants, maybe he will drop the votoing age to 10 and offer free sweets to the kids next time round .

Salmond is going to blubbing no matter which way the vote goes. If its yes he still complain that Scotland aren't being given all of their demands...
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salmond is going to blubbing no matter which way the vote goes. If its yes he still complain that Scotland aren't being given all of their demands...

And your evidence for stating this is what?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know. I fear that all of this is going to/has already caused long-term divisions.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. I fear that all of this is going to/has already caused long-term divisions.

I think if it's a No vote there will be a period of licking of wounds and then gradually the independence movement will stir back into action and we may well be back here in 20 years.

I think it if it's yes, the no voters in the main will sit back and be saying/thinking, "Go on....let's see it happen". Followed by years and years of Holyrood politicians saying how great it all is and how different whilst the Scottish populous look on and gradually realise very little has changed and Holyrood is no better (or worse) than Westminster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a personal level though, there has been a lot of bitterness and precriminations. I just made that word up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    On a personal level though, there has been a lot of bitterness and precriminations. I just made that word up.

I think when you name your campaign "Project Fear" you really have decided that its not going to be all fair and proper..
  • Options
    Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why all these powers , in the case of a no vote, were talked about before the referendum. The government must be worried.
    I agree with the football ⚽ analogy ie if a footballer wants to leave a club and the manager doesn't allow him to leave that player will not play well and will still want to leave.
    As long as he doesn't bite Cameron 😃
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    I think when you name your campaign "Project Fear" you really have decided that its not going to be all fair and proper..

I really don't think you're daft enough to bestow purity and dignity on the Yes campaign. Unless you live indoors or are blind and deaf you will have heard the abuse in the streets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think you're daft enough to bestow purity and dignity on the Yes campaign. Unless you live indoors or are blind and deaf you will have heard the abuse in the streets.

I believe i was talking about the NO campaign in that post?

and I have seen no abuse in the streets:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    I believe i was talking about the NO campaign in that post?

and I have seen no abuse in the streets:confused:

I'm aware that you were talking about the No campaign. I was offering the counterpoint that the Yes campaign has hardly been sweetness and light.

The refrain that, "We are simply offering information and hope versus the No campaign offering fear," is oft heard at the moment. Today from Peter Mullan [in the company of Nicola Sturgeon] for example.

Surprised you haven't heard abuse in the streets. Heard plenty from the Yes voters. Last time at Loch Lomond at the weekend at some woman who was handing out No leaflets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm aware that you were talking about the No campaign. I was offering the counterpoint that the Yes campaign has hardly been sweetness and light.

The refrain that, "We are simply offering information and hope versus the No campaign offering fear," is oft heard at the moment. Today from Peter Mullan [in the company of Nicola Sturgeon] for example.

Surprised you haven't heard abuse in the streets. Heard plenty from the Yes voters. Last time at Loch Lomond at the weekend at some woman who was handing out No leaflets.

I live rural, all i ever see is huge great signs in fields
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't subsidise any of that. You do realise they work and pay taxes that go into a big pot and then just get redistributed back right?

They choose to give their citizens free education and free prescriptions over other things.
    Yes, but I am with Speak Softly on this. I have never seen a satisfactory answer to it. What goodies do we get in England that Scottish people don't get, if it is just a matter of resources being allocated differently?

:D A very fine word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but I am with Speak Softly on this. I have never seen a satisfactory answer to it. What goodies do we get in England that Scottish people don't get, if it is just a matter of resources being allocated differently?

lol...It's quite good isn't it? With a slight twist of the neck and a narrowing of the eyes it pretty much makes sense.

*starts referendum for inclusion in next dictionary*
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    So now you decide what is my opinion or not and base it on the fact I made a joke as well , get over yourself.

It is not proper to make joke of Herr Salmond and soon zu vil be shot for mention hiz name vithout salute.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It had to happen eventually.:D

Agreed totally with your post in the other thread as well.
    It's really tempting to say "well to hell with the lot of them" but the results of this referendum are going to be horrendous if it's "yes".
    And a close "no" victory won't be much fun either.

If I don't get an answer I might start a thread asking the same question.

What is it that the government of the UK pays that Scotland doesn't have to therefore they can have free Uni and prescriptions ect.

In the debate the other night it came out that 1,400 college places have been cut in Scotland, is this to pay for free Uni tuition?
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read this a lot.

What are the "other things" that elsewhere in the UK need to be paid for but in Scotland they are not?

Because it seems to me that any political party, either right or left, would ever have introduced prescription charges or tuition fees if they had the choice.
    It's a no brainer.
    They need votes to stay in power and if they had the money to bribe people they would.

What is Scotland currently not paying for so that they have the money for free this, that and the other?

I think the overall Scottish GDP per capita is higher than the overall English GDP per capita. Only London and the parts of the South East have a higher GDP per capita than Scotland,
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    I think the overall Scottish GDP per capita is higher than the overall English GDP per capita. Only London and the parts of the South East have a higher GDP per capita than Scotland,

OK, so I live in the south, used to live in London. If that's the answer, why are we paying for prescriptions and tuition fees?
  • Options
    rtavy73rtavy73 Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    If Scotland vote a huge No then all the Westminster politicians will go back on there word, Westminster is promising them heaven and the earth so if I was an undecided and voted no because what all the Westminster politicians were promising then Westminster will take that as a pro union vote and Scotland will get bugger all, after all its got to go through parliament in London and the MPs will reject any more devo because London won't give up anything,

I live in Wales and we get the Scottish cast-offs crumbs regarding devolution we are told by Westminster and our unionists A.M's that we are incapable of governing ourselves we are poor Etc... but it makes you think that being governed by London makes us Welsh poor and independence at least would put our priorities forefront, remember we give large parts of England free water (our bill are more expensive) so we Welsh are subsidising Birmingham, Liverpool and the like so they can have cheap water (the Reservoir in Birminham gets 99% of it's water from an underground pipe from a Reservoir in Wales FYI) and also we produce twice as much electricity than we need, Wales is energy rich even USA government via wiki-leaks acknowledges that we in Wales are energy rich, (the problem is we are told that we need England to look after us because we are piss poor!
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    OK, so I live in the south, used to live in London. If that's the answer, why are we paying for prescriptions and tuition fees?
    Most people in England aren't paying for prescription fees. The vast majority of prescriptions in England (something like 90%) are 'free'. It's just not yet at the 100% level of Scotland/Wales/NI. There were more exceptions due to be introduced, but they were cancelled by the current government when the coalition took office.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    rtavy73 wrote: »
    If Scotland vote a huge No then all the Westminster politicians will go back on there word, Westminster is promising them heaven and the earth so if I was an undecided and voted no because what all the Westminster politicians were promising then Westminster will take that as a pro union vote and Scotland will get bugger all, after all its got to go through parliament in London and the MPs will reject any more devo because London won't give up anything,
    It will be very hard for Westminster to renege on the promise of more devolved powers in the event of a NO vote, and if they do they would just be guaranteeing a YES vote further down the line.

The more interesting knock-on effect will be with the other nations in the UK asking "Hang on, if the Scots are getting that what are we getting?" DevoMax for Scotland could well lead to more powers for Wales too, and a serious tackling of the West Lothian question to allow English MPs to deal with their own matters in Westminster.
  • Options
    floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose in the case of the London and the South East it's because they do spend it on other things that other parts of the UK don't get e.g. far more being spent on large infrastructure projects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    It will be very hard for Westminster to renege on the promise of more devolved powers in the event of a NO vote, and if they do they would just be guaranteeing a YES vote further down the line.

The more interesting knock-on effect will be with the other nations in the UK asking "Hang on, if the Scots are getting that what are we getting?" DevoMax for Scotland could well lead to more powers for Wales too, and a serious tackling of the West Lothian question to allow English MPs to deal with their own matters in Westminster.

My problem is that the Conservatives are offering a referendum on the EU, what if England vote out and Wales votes to stay in, that will mean a Welsh vote is worthless,

in other words democracy ends at the Severn bridge, that I find truly frightening , I am pro EU but against unions within unions ,
    just imagine if the USA was like - New York State lording it over Main and Connecticut,

The future IS the United States of Europe and I want a future Welsh republic to be at the forefront of that, so i'm NOT nationalistic just being a realistic (Cardiff = Brussels) not via Westminster

so I will not put up with this British nationalist crap we are better together
    "Europe IS better together" vote YES for a Federal Europe,
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be business as usual. The Government will forget all about the promises it made, the momentum from the referendum will carry on until the next one in a couple of decades and a new vote will be held. The vote will be a yes, much like the referendum in 1997 and independence will become a reality. By then the current batch of politicians will either be pushing up daisies or requiring help to defecate from their nurses at the care home.

Let's be honest, Cameron whole strategy was never about keeping Scotland as part of the union for the long haul, It was all about not being the Prime Minister who was in charge when the split happened.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not Scottish but it would be a shame to see Scotland break away from us, however as a political exercise to make the government realise that people live up north defiantly has worked. Now time for cornwall to ramp it up as government investment (except MP's 2nd homes) is seriously lacking...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Im not Scottish but it would be a shame to see Scotland break away from us, however as a political exercise to make the government realise that people live up north defiantly has worked. Now time for cornwall to ramp it up as government investment (except MP's 2nd homes) is seriously lacking...

Perhaps Kernow can be as one with Wales, we have so much in common