How much revenue is lost from Blue Badge free parking?i

radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I Understand that the Blue Badge helps people with mobility problems to use parking spaces nearest the shops etc.; however I do find the parking on double yellow lines dangerous. Some blue badge holders think their blue badge entitles them to park half in the road and half on the pavement over double yellow lines. This is selfish and does not help visually impaired people or parents with buggies to pass by.
Why when councils are struggling to find millions, should they allow blue badge holders to park free in council car parks?

Comments

• haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of having a blue badge is that it is for disabled people who can't just park in a car park a long distance away from the shops!

Why should any of us care about lost council revenue? They make enough hounding the rest of us. Do you not have any sympathy for people who find it difficult to walk?
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Understand that the Blue Badge helps people with mobility problems to use parking spaces nearest the shops etc.; however I do find the parking on double yellow lines dangerous. Some blue badge holders think their blue badge entitles them to park half in the road and half on the pavement over double yellow lines. This is selfish and does not help visually impaired people or parents with buggies to pass by.
    Why when councils are struggling to find millions, should they allow blue badge holders to park free in council car parks?

I have a Blue Badge and it does not entitle you to park dangerously or obstruct the traffic. You can still be ticketed and towed if you do. Common misnomer for some badge holders. However it does flipping annoy me when I see a woman in 4x4 park in a disabled bay because she can't manoeuvr the thing into a normal one making me park on a yellow line.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be quite a bit when one considers the morons who park in these spaces that have not got a blue badge and are not disabled.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    The whole point of having a blue badge is that it is for disabled people who can't just park in a car park a long distance away from the shops.

Not just in car parks however on double yellow lines also...
    Whilst I fully accept the need to provide dedicated spaces in council parks - i do not see why the normal parking tariff should not apply.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Is this supposed to be a thread for giving disabled people a kicking?

Obvious troll is obvious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be a thread for giving disabled people a kicking?

Obvious troll is obvious

What the hell you talking about? I mentioned blue badge pavement Parkers blocking visually impaired pedestrians.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just in car parks however on double yellow lines also...
    Whilst I fully accept the need to provide dedicated spaces in council parks - i do not see why the normal parking tariff should not apply.

Because they can't use public transport as an alternative anything like as easily as the rest of us.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i do not see why the normal parking tariff should not apply.

Because by definition they are less able to walk/cycle/catch the bus as an alternative.

Anyway, in many places they do have to pay, it's up to the council. If you are aggrieved by the tariffs you could always lobby your local councillors about it.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    What the hell you talking about? I mentioned blue badge pavement Parkers blocking visually impaired pedestrians.

Most the cars i come across pavement blocking DONT have a blue badge in the car. Also blue badge scheme is a government scheme, which also can be used in other countries, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fblue-badge-scheme-information-council&ei=vf0VVLKJENDwaKPSgdAN&usg=AFQjCNGORj6RI--ll70ODOYmGpNU0AjsSw&bvm=bv.75097201,d.d2s
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I am fully aware of the agenda of the OP, it does pee me off when I see people with blue badges just choosing to park anywhere they like, regardless of the needs of others.

In our village, the problem is mainly caused by the elderly. Some just park in the middle of the road, six feet from the kerb (no hyperbole) causing gridlock. When they are challenged, they try to use their blue badge status as an excuse, to hold up the entire village, whilst they do their shopping. But it is the ones who park on zig-zag lines causing a serious danger to everyone that are the worst.
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I am fully aware of the agenda of the OP, it does pee me off when I see people with blue badges just choosing to park anywhere they like, regardless of the needs of others.

In our village, the problem is mainly caused by the elderly. Some just park in the middle of the road, six feet from the kerb (no hyperbole) causing gridlock. When they are challenged, they try to use their blue badge status as an excuse, to hold up the entire village, whilst they do their shopping. But it is the ones who park on zig-zag lines causing a serious danger to everyone that are the worst.

I'm pretty sure that's a ticket, blue badge or not.
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's a ticket, blue badge or not.

Parking on zig-zag lines is actually a criminal offence and attracts at least three penalty points. But it doesn't stop the beggars from trying to use the badge as an excuse.

I pointed one them out to a local PCSO and she came back and said that they have a blue badge and she can't put a ticket on it. It took me nearly ten minutes to to explain that the blue badge is not some sort of shield to protect them from prosecution for motoring offences. >:(
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    From the official rules
    A Blue Badge will help you to park close to your
    destination, either as a passenger or driver.
    However, the badge is intended for on-street
    parking only. Off-street car parks, such as those
    provided in local authority, hospital or supermarket
    car parks are governed by separate rules.
    Badge holders may park on single or double
    yellow lines for up to three hours but in general
    not where there are restrictions on loading or
    unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes
    and/or signs on plates.
    The Blue Badge is not a licence to park
    anywhere.
    Here is a list of places where
    you must not park.
    Pedestrian crossings (zebra, pelican,
    toucan, and puffin crossings), including
    areas marked by zig-zag lines.
    School ‘keep clear’ markings during the
    hours shown on a yellow no-stopping plate
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I can understand the zig-zags but the BIB is just made up.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    You also had a whinge about them using cark parks for free.

I reckon a lot of the whinging about blue badge holders is down to envy of the preferential treatment given and they are jarred off because they don't get it too.
  • CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had to renew my blue badge. Last year I had to renew my passport(lasts 10 years); I filled in a new form, and send it, two photographs and a large cheque to the passport office, and within two weeks I had my new passport. To renew my new badge (lasts 3 years)I had to fill in the form, get copies of my council tax bill, my Mobility award letter and my passport, take the whole lot to the library to get it 'verified' and certified, send two photos, pay £10 and then wait eight weeks!

We don't have free parking in this authority. I don't actually drive myself, so I only use the badge if I'm with someone in their car. Basically it allows me the space to get a wheelchair to the side of the car. When I had a moan I was told that the new rules were because of all the fraud. I'm rather surprised that it's easier to get a new passport than badge:confused:
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Cythna wrote: »
    I've just had to renew my blue badge. Last year I had to renew my passport(lasts 10 years); I filled in a new form, and send it, two photographs and a large cheque to the passport office, and within two weeks I had my new passport. To renew my new badge (lasts 3 years)I had to fill in the form, get copies of my council tax bill, my Mobility award letter and my passport, take the whole lot to the library to get it 'verified' and certified, send two photos, pay £10 and then wait eight weeks!

We don't have free parking in this authority. I don't actually drive myself, so I only use the badge if I'm with someone in their car. Basically it allows me the space to get a wheelchair to the side of the car. When I had a moan I was told that the new rules were because of all the fraud. I'm rather surprised that it's easier to get a new passport than badge:confused:

I think in your instance the blue badge does what its designed for, aid those with mobility issues. There are so many these days that abuse the privilege, people are becoming rightly concerned about it, I know of situation where a family has two severely autistic children, yet they apparently qualify or need a blue bladge. These said children are fully mobile, can get in and out of a car with no assistance able to walk many hundreds of yeard if not further, but for some reason they are entitled to it. I understand the nature of varying disability, but people that can walk should not benefit from this privileged scheme. I think your personal circumstances illustrates the need for for disabled parking, its just everybody else abuses it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks. You have put it more eloquently than I ever could.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »
    I think in your instance the blue badge does what its designed for, aid those with mobility issues. There are so many these days that abuse the privilege, people are becoming rightly concerned about it, I know of situation where a family has two severely autistic children, yet they apparently qualify or need a blue bladge. These said children are fully mobile, can get in and out of a car with no assistance able to walk many hundreds of yeard if not further, but for some reason they are entitled to it. I understand the nature of varying disability, but people that can walk should not benefit from this privileged scheme. I think your personal circumstances illustrates the need for for disabled parking, its just everybody else abuses it.

A lot of autistic people have very poor spatial awareness. ie they can't work out where they are in relation to other things. This can put them in a lot of danger when it comes to traffic etc, so they need to be as close as possible to where they are going. Especially if they need to be led around.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Aye Up wrote: »

*sigh* autism is an invisible disability, it is hard enough for families to live with the condition, without people telling us what we need or dont need to make every day living just a tiny bit easier.

We have 2 blue badges, for my 2 autistic children, we need to park as close as we can for the safety of them and others, both have massive issues with cars, and awareness of danger,and can pull away from us at any time, the risk is lowered the nearer we can park to the shops

Come and live with us for a week and you will soon see why the blue badges are vital for every day living with autism

The lack of understanding of invisible disability gets me down :(
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some blue badge holders think their blue badge entitles them to park half in the road and half on the pavement over double yellow lines. This is selfish and does not help visually impaired people or parents with buggies to pass by.

Some non-blue badge holders do the same thing.

That's up to them, some do, some don't.
  • stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again lets find something else to whine about.
    I have had a disabled badge for twenty years,to some people I look normal no disabilities.But I have various mobility issues.
    What really pees me off is cashpoint cripples,that is able bodied people who park in disabled bays at supermarkets to get their cash from the hole in the wall.They cant be bothered to park a couple of metres away and walk to the cashpoint.
    >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevejk75 wrote: »
    Here we go again lets find something else to whine about.
    I have had a disabled badge for twenty years,to some people I look normal no disabilities.But I have various mobility issues.
    What really pees me off is cashpoint cripples,that is able bodied people who park in disabled bays at supermarkets to get their cash from the hole in the wall.They cant be bothered to park a couple of metres away and walk to the cashpoint.
    >:(

And the supermarkets could not give a toss. No wonder some people want camera based parking enforcement ceased. Illegal and inconsiderate (half in road, half on pavement; and double yellow) parking should be stamped out.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Strictly speaking they have not lost anything - that said parking part on a pavement is arguably an offense anyway (Road Traffics Act) - in which case blue badge or not it should be dealt with.

As for yellow lines there is far too many of these anyway and it is arguable if they are all needed anyway. This is having an adverse effect on high street sales as people cannot park within a reasonable distance of the high street - hence the rise of out of town shopping centres.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    And the supermarkets could not give a toss. No wonder some people want camera based parking enforcement ceased. Illegal and inconsiderate (half in road, half on pavement; and double yellow) parking should be stamped out.
    Well saying that a blue badge has no legal standing in supermarket carparks anyway, And most the cars i come across parked on the pavement dont have a blue badge in them. To stop blue badge holders parking on double yellow lines then you would have to change the rules that allow blue badge holders to park on double yellow lines