Childrens TV on BBC1-days numbered?

Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
Forum Member
✭✭
There is a report in todays Express suggesting there may be moves to kill off Blue Peter by "stealth" and there are quiet plans being made to shift all BBC1 and BBC2 childrens tv onto CBBC and CBeebies.
Looking at the top ten childrens programmes for week ending 28/9/08, not one of them broke a quarter of a million viewers which does suggest little point of having them on the main channel. In cold share terms the childrens segment is now having quite a serious impact on BBC1 which may be whats driving any moves.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Yet The Sarah Jane Adventures on Monday 29th got 0.7 Million viewers.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    There is a report in todays Express suggesting there may be moves to kill off Blue Peter by "stealth" and there are quiet plans being made to shift all BBC1 and BBC2 childrens tv onto CBBC and CBeebies.
    Looking at the top ten childrens programmes for week ending 28/9/08, not one of them broke a quarter of a million viewers which does suggest little point of having them on the main channel. In cold share terms the childrens segment is now having quite a serious impact on BBC1 which may be whats driving any moves.
    Any thoughts?

CBBC Channel and CBeebies channel dont break 1/4 million

CBBC on BBC ONE tops 2 million with Newsround at 5.00

Whoever has been in charge of decisison making at CBBC over the past 10 years is to blame for falling audiences.

Firstly, they say they are no longer catering for 13-16 years olds- a large part of their audience ignored. So out go Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Documentaries and Dramas (and yes they do want to ge trid of BP as well! And then they have the audacity to say no ones watching lets scrap it altogether from BBC1

Saturday mornings have been a mess for years since moving to BBC2. And CBBC on BBC ONE ends at 5.15pm (previousy 5.35pm)

I doubt CBBC on BBC1 & 2 will be axed altogether unil 2012.

CBeebies on BBC2 has been extended til 11am in the morning (prev 10.30am)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the doom & gloom merchants take over, once DSO has arrived across all regions, then there is no reason at all for childrens' programming to appear on BBC1 or BBC2, as everyone will have access to Cbbc and Cbeebies, and (if the BBC is able to get additional capacity) the broadcast hours will have been increased (allowing for a greater range of programming). And as childrens' programming is a major part of PSB, then of course it is going to remain.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's what happens when society changes, concepts that seemed impregnable just fade away.

The "TV channel" that people just sit and watch is of the past, children/young people will be the ones more likely to involved in a change to a new way of doing things.

Creating more channels to try and reach viewers is just moving the deckchairs on that big ship, the concept of the channel to deliver TV is DEAD.

If broadband were already in every home then conventional channels would already have died for a younger generation anyway. The channel concept is incredibly frustrating. What is needed is "programmes on demand" with great ease of use, not computer based.

I'm sure the BBC realise this. The problem is, of course, that a move towards unlimited programmes on demand would spell the end of the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Before the doom & gloom merchants take over, once DSO has arrived across all regions, then there is no reason at all for childrens' programming to appear on BBC1 or BBC2, as everyone will have access to Cbbc and Cbeebies, and (if the BBC is able to get additional capacity) the broadcast hours will have been increased (allowing for a greater range of programming). And as childrens' programming is a major part of PSB, then of course it is going to remain.

Would you also say that there is no need for Breakfast, News at 1, 6 and 10- because of the BBC News Channel?

There'll be some major holes in BBC ones shedule.
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    fugitive wrote: »

Whoever has been in charge of decisison making at CBBC over the past 10 years is to blame for falling audiences.

Firstly, they say they are no longer catering for 13-16 years olds- a large part of their audience ignored. So out go Grange Hill, Byker Grove, Documentaries and Dramas (and yes they do want to ge trid of BP as well! And then they have the audacity to say no ones watching lets scrap it altogether from BBC1

Saturday mornings have been a mess for years since moving to BBC2. And CBBC on BBC ONE ends at 5.15pm (previousy 5.35pm)

It all a part of the general decline and dumbing down by the BBC.

The BBC used to be well know for providing a wide range of quality TV programes many of which had some educational value. The BBC seems to have dropped all such programes and is focussed on producing cheap programes for under 5's
    It could really ditch one of the childrens channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you also say that there is no need for Breakfast, News at 1, 6 and 10- because of the BBC News Channel?
    No, purely because they are tailored for a specific aidinece at that time (in my view, although it's a view not necessarily shared by others)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob22A wrote: »
    It all a part of the general decline and dumbing down by the BBC.

The BBC used to be well know for providing a wide range of quality TV programes many of which had some educational value. The BBC seems to have dropped all such programes and is focussed on producing cheap programes for under 5's
    It could really ditch one of the childrens channels.
    So you have not watched some of the output from CBBC then? Or is that yet another one of those all-encompassing broadbrush statements (with little substance) that some here are so fond of?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, purely because they are tailored for a specific aidinece at that time (in my view, although it's a view not necessarily shared by others)

and CBBC on BBC one isnt tailored for a specific audience?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have not watched some of the output from CBBC then? Or is that yet another one of those all-encompassing broadbrush statements (with little substance) that some here are so fond of?

There are one or two good programmes on CBBC.

But the general dumbing down of programmes is hard not to notice.

And so are the presenters . Compare Andy Crane to Ed Petire for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and CBBC on BBC one isnt tailored for a specific audience?
    As I said
    (in my view, although it's a view not necessarily shared by others)

Childrens programming is extremely audience-specific (in terms of a very tight age range), the news is most definitely not. Now you can argue the toss all you want on that one.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i woundered why BBC schools programmes had been moved to 11am rather than the prevous 10.30am
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said

So your happy for CBBC to to be ckicked off BBC ONE because there is a CBBC Channel which everyone will have access to from 2012.

But the News must stay on BBC1 at 1,6 & 10 - even though every one wil have the BBC News Channel from 2012.

How very dare you!:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i woundered why BBC schools programmes had been moved to 11am rather than the prevous 10.30am

Oh yes- theyll be getting rid of schools altogether in a few years too.

It gone from 6 hours a day in 1985 to 1 hour in 2008.

What kind of dumb asses are in charge at the bbc these days.
  • well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes- theyll be getting rid of schools altogether in a few years too.

It gone from 6 hours a day in 1985 to 1 hour in 2008.

What kind of dumb asses are in charge at the bbc these days.

So what about the progs that run for several hours through the early mornings for pupils/schools/teachers to record and use?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well2do wrote: »
    So what about the progs that run for several hours through the early mornings for pupils/schools/teachers to record and use?

I dont see anything like the classic we used to get.. Music Times, Look & Reads, Scenes, Ghostwriters, You and Mes, Watch, Zig Zags

No wonder kids turn to crime - the bbc (and itv) doesnt care abvout them anymore.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that schools programmes are broadcast during the day at all nowadays. The chances of a particular programme's transmission time fitting in with the timetable of the class the school wishes to see it must be very small, so the programme will almost inevitably be recorded to be shown later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your happy for CBBC to to be ckicked off BBC ONE because there is a CBBC Channel which everyone will have access to from 2012.
    I did not state whether I would be happy or unhappy. I was stating an opinion as to what might be a sensible move.
    But the News must stay on BBC1 at 1,6 & 10 - even though every one wil have the BBC News Channel from 2012.
    Er, did you READ my last post at all? I thought it unnecessary to spell it out in very very simple terms, but I will do so if needed.
    How very dare you!:mad:
    Why the rather aggressive tone there? Am I not allowed an opinion on a discussion forum at all? You express anger because I have an opinion and dare to express that opinion?
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    well2do wrote: »

Ah so the real PSB content is pushed out to the middle of the night so the BBC can focus on its commercial activties during the peak times.

Just adds more strength to the case for the BBC to largely go to a subscription model. Any real PSB content has ben pushed to the middle of the night and cut back drastically but the BBC can run to plenty of repeats during peak hours .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so the real PSB content is pushed out to the middle of the night so the BBC can focus on its commercial activties during the peak times.
    Well, that has to rank as some of the most creative spin ever on these forums.

Schools record the programming to show at the times that suit their curriculum, so why not screen it at a time when there are less viewers. But of course that is far too sensible to be the real explanation for some on here are are intent on following their own blinkered agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see anything like the classic we used to get.. Music Times, Look & Reads, Scenes, Ghostwriters, You and Mes, Watch, Zig Zags

No wonder kids turn to crime - the bbc (and itv) doesnt care abvout them anymore.

i will agree with ,however i will give them some credit,watch & zig zag are still getting aired even after all these years .as with channel 4 they threw there learning progammes to the wall. lets look at one exsample THE DAY I GOT THE SACK this is suppused to be a schools tv programme aimed at 14 + year olds which is along with others some times anywhere from 30 mins to over an hour long. i mean i am not sure how the system works today but who is going to sit in front of a class room tv for that lenth of time ? in my day you watch around 15-20 mins of a tv programme then back to the classroom to work on what you just saw on tv. channel 4 also do this in the mornings but there programmes here are more 5-8 + year olds & all done in blocks .a whole series of programmes in one night. i tend to record these & show them as it is to my 9 year old .these are only aired 2 days a week. the BBC do theres in reverse order doing there 14-16 etc during the night ,but again these are just like channel 4 from 9.30-12noon all in 60min slots ,schools programmes are never that long. & to my last point channel 4 9.30 schools airing is ever more confusing as they slot it all in from 7am on channel 4 mornings til 12 noon with other shows from the USA that are not uk education based. this has been like that for the last few years. what has happened here?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i will agree with ,however i will give them some credit,watch & zig zag are still getting aired even after all these years .as with channel 4 they threw there learning progammes to the wall. lets look at one exsample THE DAY I GOT THE SACK this is suppused to be a schools tv programme aimed at 14 + year olds which is along with others some times anywhere from 30 mins to over an hour long. i mean i am not sure how the system works today but who is going to sit in front of a class room tv for that lenth of time ? in my day you watch around 15-20 mins of a tv programme then back to the classroom to work on what you just saw on tv. channel 4 also do this in the mornings but there programmes here are more 5-8 + year olds & all done in blocks .a whole series of programmes in one night. i tend to record these & show them as it is to my 9 year old .these are only aired 2 days a week. the BBC do theres in reverse order doing there 14-16 etc during the night ,but again these are just like channel 4 from 9.30-12noon all in 60min slots ,schools programmes are never that long. & to my last point channel 4 9.30 schools airing is ever more confusing as they slot it all in from 7am on channel 4 mornings til 12 noon with other shows from the USA that are not uk education based. this has been like that for the last few years. what has happened here?:confused:

its the tv mags that list 7-12 as "mornings" to save space.

c4 no longer specify 9.30-12 as "schools"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its the tv mags that list 7-12 as "mornings" to save space.

c4 no longer specify 9.30-12 as "schools"

yer i know that ,they now call it 4 learning,but don't use it in the tv scedules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah so the real PSB content is pushed out to the middle of the night so the BBC can focus on its commercial activties during the peak times. .

Know what you're talking about before making comments like that, the majority of those progs are 3-4 hours long each and would not be suitable for peak times or even daytime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see anything like the classic we used to get.. Music Times, Look & Reads, Scenes, Ghostwriters, You and Mes, Watch, Zig Zags.

I suggest you look closely at the content of CBeebies on 2 during the week, similar progs are shown.

Now that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read here at DS, the Mail wouldn't even come out with nonsense like that.