Options

Jonathan Durden's Novel: Essex, Drugs, & Rock 'n' Roll

blackrockblackrock Posts: 3,873
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anybody read it?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/entertainment/books/2008/06/19/review-essex-drugs-rock-n-roll-by-jonathan-durden-89520-20613935/

I remember him saying on live feed "I just want to sell my book," so this is not unexpected, I suppose.

I'd love a review if anybody has looked into it.

Summary from Amazon:

Product Description
Mark Cohen is a 40-year-old family man, with all of the designer evidence to pass any Essex surface-wealth audit. He returns home after a business trip to find that his wife is close to death and his daughter has just attempted suicide. All fear of consequences now lost, Mark writes a list of reasons why he would come back to haunt this world if he were to die, and sets out to explore them. In one amazing year, Mark gets to discover the best and the worst life to offers. By Jonathan Durden, the Big Brother 8 contestant who walked out after the death of his 104-year-old grandmother.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Yes, you can download the first chapter here: http://www.jonathandurden.tv/aboutthebook.html

Click on the panel in the right column...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't this be on the off topic forum. Are you his agent?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Jonathan, shame he had to go the way he did. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    This must be his agent. Stop advertising this drivell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vincy82 wrote: »
    dsbbds wrote: »
    This must be his agent. Stop advertising this drivell.

What are you two on about, he was a BB8 contestant. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said in another thread, I completely forgot about Jonathan until I saw the book advertised on the telly. Not read it yet but hoping to read it soon :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like an interesting read. I love this bit.
    Hoping that someone, anyone, had witnessed this minorcircus, he was gratified to see a small boy aged about ten on a BMX bike staring at him from the road. Even though it was dark, Mark kept his sunglasses on as he got out, knowing the gesture was pathetic, but powerless to his Essex roots.

‘Nice car mate,’ the boy said, taking Mark by surprise, given how shy he had been even at twice this kid’s age. ‘Thanks son, it’s a BMW.

’‘I know,’ said the oiky kid. ‘My granddad’s got one like it,14 but his is the V8 Alpina version. Pisses on your one.’
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you can download the first chapter here: http://www.jonathandurden.tv/aboutthebook.html

Click on the panel in the right column...

Thanks, mikieboston. Jonathan seemed like an intelligent man, and I'm curious about his writing talent. I'll just go check it out now!:)
  • Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beer wrote: »
    It seems like an interesting read. I love this bit.

I just read the first chapter online. This is not literature as I know it. In fact, the writing in that chapter is pretty dire. Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, and Will Self won't be losing any sleep over this one.

I'm disappointed, actually. :(
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Check what's written at the top of the thread

Big Brother For discussion of UK and international versions of Big Brother, as well as past series.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have trouble remembering him .. there was something about farting .. that's all I remember (I didn't watch much of BB8 tbh)
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blackrock wrote: »
    I just read the first chapter online. This is not literature as I know it. In fact, the writing in that chapter is pretty dire. Martin Amis, Ian McEwan, and Will Self won't be losing any sleep over this one.

Talking of Will Self (very cheekily and before it get's noticed) .. how did you get on with 'The Book of Dave' ... it hurt my brain trying to work out that dialogue (and I didn't notice for ages there was a dictionary at the back).

uhm, I'm sure Jonathan's effort is good .. for a first effort ... don't give up the day job tho' (it's not his day job is it?)
  • Options
    AggyAggy Posts: 4,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Jonathan, he was hilarious in the Nominations Masterclass in BB8 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blackrock wrote: »

I doubt he was hoping to be compared to that lot. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Talking of Will Self (very cheekily and before it get's noticed) .. how did you get on with 'The Book of Dave' ... it hurt my brain trying to work out that dialogue (and I didn't notice for ages there was a dictionary at the back).

uhm, I'm sure Jonathan's effort is good .. for a first effort ... don't give up the day job tho' (it's not his day job is it?)

I absolutely loved The Book of Dave! The language in the future portions ("Mokni") becomes more and more familiar as you read, and the "Mokni" contains many clever references to the characters and events of the present-day portions. All the parts of the book are beautifully interconnected.

Here's Will Self chatting about the original idea behind the book to the Guardian last year:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/jun/16/willself

That said, I did recommend The Book of Daveto my sister, and she just couldn't get into it the way I did.

Jonathan's fiction debut is quite amateurish, but maybe he just wanted to get his ideas across and didn't care about style at all.

Edit: I'm an American, and even for me the "Mockni" was familiar from years of reading books and watching movies and TV shows set in London. If you're English, you might catch on even more quickly to the Cockney-based future dialect. You should give it another shot!
  • Options
    Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's a first time poster, so that's a fair assumption.
  • Options
    Itchy NiagrasItchy Niagras Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »

Big Brother For discussion of UK and international versions of Big Brother, as well as past series.
    ... but not specifically for the promotion of someone's wares.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    I have trouble remembering him .. there was something about farting .. that's all I remember (I didn't watch much of BB8 tbh)

He left early because his Mum died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aggy wrote: »
    I liked Jonathan, he was hilarious in the Nominations Masterclass in BB8 :D

He was very witty and a great games-player. He had all the housemates going with his promises of employment, use of a holiday villa, plastic surgery, and capital for a new business. He was playing them all.

Once he even said "I hate you all and will nominate you all in turn," or wtte, and everyone laughed!:D