The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    January iPlayer performance pack: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/iplayer/iplayer-performance-jan13.pdf

Africa episode 1 was watched by a massive 2.28m on the iPlayer, Top Gear 1.89m, Miranda 1.83m, The Dumping Ground 1.48m, Mrs Brown's Boys 1.40m, Waterloo Road 1.07m.

Also it shows that 16% of iPlayer usage is through TV, so I would estimate probably about 12% of the above numbers would of been counted towards BARB's consolidated totals.

Pushes Africa episode 1 to above 13m :eek:.

Those figures exclude viewing through Virgin and Sky. Wonder when/if they're going to start including them, should make quite a difference?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    The big question is will it see out the run there?

If it was a Tuesday they'd probably just settle for these figures but it seemed to lose viewers more or less throughout, rating under 2.5m for the last half an hour.

How many episodes are there?

9. I think
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 commissions 'Trauma Doctors' a 4x60 medical ob-doc series from Cineflix Productions for TX in April:

http://about.channel5.com/node/1778
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Food Glorious Food was awful. Patronising concept, lacked any warmth that you would associate with the GBBO (something built up for a good three years), and critcism from the judges was banal. Not least to mention that beehive cow, having a dig at a teenager one minute for making an effort behind her back, yet treating a group of disabled students with a fawning tone.
  • chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Coronation Street ITV 19:30 8159000
    2 Emmerdale ITV 19:00 6719000
    3 Regional News and Weather BBC1 Inc HD 18:30 5869000
    4 BBC News at Six BBC1 Inc HD 18:00 4852000
    5 BBC News at Ten BBC1 Inc HD 22:00 4563000
    6 The One Show BBC1 Inc HD 19:00 3941000
    7 Holiday Hit Squad BBC1 Inc HD 20:00 3840000
    8 Lightfields ITV 21:00 3653000
    9 ITV News London ITV 18:00 3606000
    10 Child of Our Time BBC1 Inc HD 21:00 3563000
    11 ITV News & Weather ITV 18:30 3461000
    12 Pointless BBC1 Inc HD 17:15 3355000
    13 The Chase ITV 17:00 3094000
    14 BBC News at One BBC1 Inc HD 13:00 2828000
    15 Regional News and Weather BBC1 Inc HD 13:30 2773000
    16 Food Glorious Food ITV 20:00 2640000
    17 A Question of Sport BBC1 Inc HD 22:30 2260000
    18 ITV News at Ten & Weather ITV 22:00 2096000
    19 Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners Channel 4 Inc HD 20:00 2048000
    20 One Born Every Minute Channel 4 Inc HD 21:00 1999000

yes ITV does includes HD

ciao :)

Not great when the BBC's highest non-news rating of the day is The One Show!
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisr21 wrote: »

Absolutely - but I don't think ITV has much to crow about, with FGF already looking dated before it even aired and Lightfields a pointless retread of Marchlands. A distinct lack of imagination all round, really. :rolleyes:
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Absolutely - but I don't think ITV has much to crow about, with FGF already looking dated before it even aired and Lightfields a pointless retread of Marchlands. A distinct lack of imagination all round, really. :rolleyes:

It is amusing to see ITV doing copycats of its own shows as well as other peoples!
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    Apart from having the 2 top rated shows of the day, and beating BBC1 at 9....yes
    Come on Gary, ITV launched two big new shows last night and both were way down on what they would have expected. FGF lost over 5m from it's Corrie lead-in and Lightfields is down nearly 3m on it's first incarnation.

Even Jenny Cummins hasn't found the will to tweet about ITV's victory in the 9pm hour.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought everyone had stopped trusting and watching BBC News post-Savile, at least acording to the Daily Wail.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Crikey looking at ITVs ratings for new shows there, you would be forgiven for thinking that they had aired on Tuesdays flopzone. Those are horrible ratings especially when you consider the competition.
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very slow start for Food Glorious Food which could only muster 2.74m / 12.7%. It came in well below itv's benchmark share for the slot of 21.6%.

I know it's easy to post this after the event but it was never going to be a hit, though. What it reminds me of the most is the Trinny and Susannah shows they did when they joined ITV which were blatant attempts to do shows that were almost but not quite like What Not To Wear. This is the kind of format you might have got had ITV poached Paul Hollywood or Mary Berry and tried to find a vehicle for them, it is not in the slightest bit distinctive and massively derivative.

And of course while the Bake Off got huge ratings on BBC2, that is not primetime ITV and like when they put Trinny and Susannah there, they have no tradition of that kind of show in primetime. People don't watch ITV for that kind of thing.

Well, it is, because BBC1 were showing three programmes in primetime, one of which was opposite the soaps, one of which was a bit of PSB science programming opposite a flagship drama and one of which was a rather dull magazine show opposite a new Cowell-produced programme. Not only were they competitive, one won its slot and another one was only beaten by 10k. And the news counts as well because despite a worse lead-in, BBC News thrashed the ITV News which illustrates continual viewer loyalty.

A real pro-BBC agenda in this thread, I can see.

In other news, both Mayday and Broadchurch have excellent reviews in the Radio Times and it'll be fascinating to see how well they fare. Let's hope they both do well, we need as much popular drama as we can get.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is amusing to see ITV doing copycats of its own shows as well as other peoples!

I read a comment yesterday with someone saying Simon Cowell has basically sold them Britain's Best Dish.

Very disappointing night for ITV, the two shows were plugged quite heavily and with one being a Cowell show and the other being the successor of one that got 6m last time, its obvious they had higher hopes for both.
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hadn't realised the food flop was the much hailed Eggs Factor!

Well they have well and truly buried that then!

Excellent stuff, Cowell truly is now the man with the Reverse Midas touch!

In other news, I see David Brent returns in The Office Ten Years On for Comic Relief night. The clip on the BBC news website (for this surely must be news... ;)) looks hilarious.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor night for ITV, particularly FGF. The risk with that 8pm slot is that if whatever is in it flops like this then your 9pm drama doesn't have a lead-in. So it all becomes a bit Tuesday-like. All Star Mr and Mrs was doing 4m+ towards the end of last year so entertainment can work in that slot, just not this particular show.

Although on the negative, ASMM was doing well in the big number but pretty badly in ABC1/16-34's and the 9pm dramas generally look for those ABC1's. Generally entertainment probably isn't the best lead-in for drama.

I wonder if ITV might be interested in experimenting with the US idea of 2 hour reality slots? 2 hours of FGF might not have solved their problems last night but in terms of getting the best audience for their dramas, it might be an idea. The challenge is finding those rare reality hits. I think the US networks have typically done it with shows that were already successful then got an extended slot.

Although what I think the 8pm Wednesday hour is really crying out for is a Waterloo Road/Holby City/The Bill type "continuing drama" (although I accept WR isn't quite at that length yet!).
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5's evening shaped up like this...

8pm: Born to Kill [rpt]: 1.36m / 6.3%
    9pm: NCIS: 1.56m / 6.8%
    10pm: Law & Order S.V.U. [rpt]: 875k / 5.1%
    10.55pm: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation [rpt]: 649k / 6.9%
    11.55pm: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation [rpt]: 370k / 8.1%
    12.50am: True Crimes [rpt]: 211k / 7.1%

Channel 5 had a good night with NCIS holding up well, interesting that the Born to Kill repeat did over a 1m. Think they'll do good tonight since the competition is pretty poor.
  • chrisr21chrisr21 Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it is, because BBC1 were showing three programmes in primetime, one of which was opposite the soaps, one of which was a bit of PSB science programming opposite a flagship drama and one of which was a rather dull magazine show opposite a new Cowell-produced programme. Not only were they competitive, one won its slot and another one was only beaten by 10k. And the news counts as well because despite a worse lead-in, BBC News thrashed the ITV News which illustrates continual viewer loyalty.

A real pro-BBC agenda in this thread, I can see.

I have absolutely no agenda whatsoever, and I don't see how you can come up with that from the post I made.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We gave Food, Glorious Food all of 15 minutes and realised it was a clone of every other such show and switched off. Probably would not have given it that but for the Cowell link - which as far as I can see was only evident in the 'new idea' of the prize.

For Britain's Got Talent = Half a million and a spot in front 0f millions on the Royal Variety show.

For Britain's Got Pies = Twenty thousand and a spot on the back shelves at Marks and Sparks.

If his 'Saturday Night family entertainment' format reported last week is up to this standard expect Britain's Got Noel's Generation Party = Fifty quid for the family to buy luxury goods in Poundland.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 27th February 2013:

BBC One:
    13:00 - BBC News at One: 2.83m
    13:30 - Regional News & Weather: 2.77m
    13:45 - Doctors: 1.54m (23%)
    17:15 - Pointless: 3.36m
    18:00 - BBC News at Six: 4.85m
    18:30 - BBC Regional News: 5.87m
    19:00 - The One Show: 3.94m
    20:00 - The Holiday Hit Squad: 3.84m
    21:00 - The Child of our Time: 3.56m
    22:00 - BBC News at Ten: 4.56m
    22:30 - A Question of Sport: 2.26m

BBC Two:
    19:30 - Great British Menu: 1.59m (7.2%), +120k on HD
    20:00 - Hairy Bikers Everyday Gourmets: 1.96m (9.1%)

ITV:
    17:00 - The Chase: 3.09m (3.4m inc.+1)
    18:00 - ITV News London: 3.61m
    18:30 - ITV News & Weather: 3.46m
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 6.76m (32.7%), +1: 235k
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 8.16m (36.9%), +1: 380k
    20:00 - Food Glorious Food: 2.64m
    21:00 - Lightfields: 3.65m
    22:00 - ITV News at Ten: 2.1m

Channel 4:
    18:30 - Hollyoaks: 881k (4.4%)
    20:00 - Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners: 2.05m
    21:00 - One Born Every Minute: 2.0m

Channel 5:
    13:45 - Neighbours: 740k (11.1%)
    17:30 - Neighbours: 901k (5.9%)
    18:00 - Home & Away: 657k (3.6%)
    20:00 - Born to Kill [rpt]: 1.36m (6.3%)
    21:00 - NCIS: 1.56m (6.8%)
    22:00 - Law & Order S.V.U. [rpt]: 875k (5.1%)
    22:55 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation [rpt]: 649k (6.9%)
    23:55 - CSI: Crime Scene Investigation [rpt]: 370k (8.1%)
    00:50 - True Crimes [rpt]: 211k (7.1%)

Sources: Mike Teevee, Dancc & DS Soaps
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    So Corrie is down over a million on Mondays episodes
    and rated similar to EastEnders on Monday
    Barely over 8million on a cold Wednesday in Feb (Corrie's natural home) can't be good surely
    I think had this rating been on a Thursday we would have heard 'People forgot' its not Wednesday...........;)

And Emmerdale below 7million:eek::eek::eek:

Funny how nothing gets said now but had it been EastEnders we would have 10 pages by now:rolleyes:
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,134
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 6.76m (32.7%), +1: 235k
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 8.16m (36.9%), +1: 380k

I must be the only one who sees those shares as abnormally high. At this time of year 6m would be less than 30%.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Was it a 'cold Wednesday in February'? The weather is picking up here now. It was quite nice yesterday (and today).
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    Was it a 'cold Wednesday in February'? The weather is picking up here now. It was quite nice yesterday (and today).
    Oh yeah of course it's been 20oc :D

Not hear it's freezing last week in the daytime it was sunny and warm but from about 5:00pm the temp falls but looking at things that's pretty much like everywhere.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    Only for ITV viewers (or non-viewers to be precise) I suspect. EastEnders viewers obviously all took a 30-minute break from their BBQ to watch.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Barely over 8million on a cold Wednesday in Feb (Corrie's natural home) can't be good surely
    I think had this rating been on a Thursday we would have heard 'People forgot' its not Wednesday...........;)

Funny how nothing gets said now but had it been EastEnders we would have 10 pages by now:rolleyes:
    It's only down 300k week on week and had a big +1 figure. Still higher than EE:p

FGF's next 2 episodes face EastEnders, they should have aired it at 5pm maybe they'll switch it with the Chase:D

Lighfields deserved more, it was good enough and the first ITV drama I've watched this year.

I didn't see the DS article until it was too late to edit.

Some more ratings:
    Derek: 1.12m (6%)
    TOWIE: 769k (4.4%)
    MasterChef: The Professionals: 1.45m

The Lady Vanishes airs in week 12. Looks like it'll air on St. Patrick's Day (Sun 17th).
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »

I confess soap ratings are not really my thing but I'm not sure what your point is? That Corrie rated badly last night but still better than Eastenders highest rating of the past week? For an EE fan that seems an unusual thing to draw attention to.
This discussion has been closed.