Options

How do you know you have a Nail Varnish problem?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'm sure there's plenty that's dodgy in the formula, I'm pretty sure Barry M isn't free of formaldehyde or tuolene or the other nasties that companies are trying to get rid of these days. But the recall is nothing to worry about - the nasties are all perfectly legal. The recall is just because they overfilled some bottles so the glass was cracking.

ok thanks.

Do you use Barry M polishes?

In my opinion the polishes containing the 'nasties' have better staying power :o
    I used formaldehyde, toulene and DBP free polishes whilst pregnant, and found they chipped very easily.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi there- on Barry M's FB page they have explained that it was a problem with the glass bottles. Some had been overfilled and were cracking. they weren't willing to take risks and so did a full recall, as Elanor has said.
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and on a Barry M note- I'm really looking forward to all their new releases in early June :)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I use Barry M quite regularly. I don't find that 3-free polishes chip more than non 3-free for me, I just use whatever ones I like at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the quality of topcoat makes a bigger difference than the polish used. Nothing seems able to get through my Illamasqua topcoat...no idea if thats 3 free or not though!

OPI are these days though aren't they? They last well on me too haha
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am so pleased to finally be able to post on this thread!

I've been a nail biter for circa 20 years.. But I now have proper nails, that I can file and shape and paint having finally successfully kicked the habit and grown them for the last month or so.
    I'm honestly over the moon :D:D and went out today to celebrate by purchasing 2 new varnishes (I've worn false nails on/off over the years and painted them so have loads of nail varnishes but it always looked ropey, and some of them now are ropey and glunky).

Anyway, last night I filed/buffed etc my nails, and applied just a base and top coat. Didn't fancy a colour as
    was waiting to purchase a nice new one today. Problem is, my top coat is a boots own one (No.7 I think) that's old, and although it still goes on well I find that the shine/gloss finish isn't enough and it chips.

I tried finding a new top coat today but came home empty handed, can anybody recommend a good one that's not too expensive (don't really want to pay over £10 for a top coat).

Thanks in advance :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always found Rimmel WearMax (i think it it) in clear to work really well. Shouldn't be too expensive either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite topcoats are Seche Vite, Sally Hansen Insta Dri, and Sally Hansen Mega Shine. If you want a super shiny one that doesn't chip, and aren't bothered about a quick dry one, then Mega Shine is excellent.
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have you got on with your UV gels?

Really sorry just seen this had a rough few weeks at work, had to apply for my own job etc... so nails have been last thing on my mind!

Actually did them for the first time today and they were so easy to do!! First hand i did looks a little thick so made sure my layers were thinner on my other hand!! Looks amazing so shiny and feel really smooth!!

Will see how it lasts!

I bought a few new colours so now got rubble and a gold glittery one too but used pop pink today.

Also got some konad stamping stuff been experiment on nail pops which polishes will work as dont really want to start having to buy special polishes for stamping!

Won an essentials nail training hand on ebay for £8 so going to start practising!

will post a pic once i figure out how to do it from my kindle xx
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I use an H&M topcoat which was only a couple of quid and have never had a problem with it. Use their base coat too which I really like as I think it makes the polish dry quicker.

I bought a Layla hologram effect polish the other day called Emerald Divine and I absolutely adore it. I will try take some photos tomorrow in the sun as it is just gorgeous, have ordered some more to try out as well.
  • Options
    chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Joolz1975 wrote: »
    Really sorry just seen this had a rough few weeks at work, had to apply for my own job etc... so nails have been last thing on my mind!

Actually did them for the first time today and they were so easy to do!! First hand i did looks a little thick so made sure my layers were thinner on my other hand!! Looks amazing so shiny and feel really smooth!!

Will see how it lasts!

I bought a few new colours so now got rubble and a gold glittery one too but used pop pink today.

Also got some konad stamping stuff been experiment on nail pops which polishes will work as dont really want to start having to buy special polishes for stamping!

Won an essentials nail training hand on ebay for £8 so going to start practising!

will post a pic once i figure out how to do it from my kindle xx

Oh I hope you have got on ok at work, Ive been through the reapply thing before, its awful.
    Im glad you got on with your nails, they look so good when done, I love the fact that they are dry instantly, no smudging.

Im addicted to konad! when I put the UV gel on I just stamp over the finished nail so I can keep changing the design but still have the perfect polish underneath.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the top coat recommendations, I bought the seche vita one (plus the ridge filling
    base coat) from amazon yesterday, arrived today and I love them!

I cannot get over how fab the top coat is, they are so shiny and hard/strong its as if I'm wearing false nails :D

Am super chuffed, thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I hope you have got on ok at work, Ive been through the reapply thing before, its awful.
    Im glad you got on with your nails, they look so good when done, I love the fact that they are dry instantly, no smudging.

Im addicted to konad! when I put the UV gel on I just stamp over the finished nail so I can keep changing the design but still have the perfect polish underneath.

Hi, yeh got my job just battling out to keep my current work pattern! Its not a nice situation.

The no smudging is a definate plus! Everybody is commenting on my nails at the moment at work!

I need to change them tommorow as at a wedding saturday and want to try the rubble colour!

Will it just come off by soaking in acetone?? (Will polish remover containing acetone work??)

I really need to practice the konad a bit more, some of the discs i have are a bit....meh!

Want a good animal print one!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you need to soak it off with pure acetone, nail varnish remover won't be strong enough. you can buy it on ebay in big bottles but if you ask in a chemists they will.sell you a little bottle.
    The best way is with cotton wool and foil look on YouTube.
    the best konad animal print plate is M57. Its my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need to soak it off with pure acetone, nail varnish remover won't be strong enough. you can buy it on ebay in big bottles but if you ask in a chemists they will.sell you a little bottle.
    The best way is with cotton wool and foil look on YouTube.
    the best konad animal print plate is M57. Its my favourite.

Hi. Had an horrendous job soaking it off!! I was in a rush though and made a right mess of it. It didnt seem to want to budge!!

Ive put a different colour on and gping to leave it on for a week or so now and take more time next time i remove.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Just spotted that nails inc are doing a luckly dip
    7 nail polishes (full size bottles) for £18 might be good for some of you nail polish addicts.

Unsure whether to buy or not though as I don't like a lot of nail polish colours (teals yellows oranges ect)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire77 wrote: »
    Just spotted that nails inc are doing a luckly dip
    7 nail polishes (full size bottles) for £18 might be good for some of you nail polish addicts.

Unsure whether to buy or not though as I don't like a lot of nail polish colours (teals yellows oranges ect)

I suspect it's an opportunity for them to get rid of colours that aren't selling. Maybe I'm a cynic. But if it isn't, why can't they let you pick the colours?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I suspect it's an opportunity for them to get rid of colours that aren't selling. Maybe I'm a cynic. But if it isn't, why can't they let you pick the colours?

That's very good point you make! Hadn't thought about that thanks. don't think I will now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean - don't let me put you off! You might get loads of beauties, I know many people online have done. I don't do things like that because I have so many colours already I'd be bound to get duplicates.

If you want cheap Nails Inc though, have you tried TK Maxx? They often have sets for really good prices, sometimes old ranges too, which you can't find elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    I love Sally Hansen top coats, I can't believe I did without them before! I love Barry M's colour range, but I find the staying power shocking, I don't usually get through the day without them chipping, even with a great top coat. The gelly ones especially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooops! I seem to have come home from town with two bottles of Dior! EIGHTEEN pounds each too. I have Delice (shimmery orange-coral) and the Gel Topcoat. They'd better be amazing.
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to say that the Sally Hansen top coat suggestion has changed my life! And no i dont feel i'm being over dramatic saying that! Lol! It's the best one of it's price range, so thank you!

Also Social Discount Network have Opi Nail Polishes going live today for £4.49 each at 12pm. Have a google and you'll find them, or find them on facebook. Just thought some may want a heads up on this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joolz1975 wrote: »
    Hi. Had an horrendous job soaking it off!! I was in a rush though and made a right mess of it. It didnt seem to want to budge!!

Ive put a different colour on and gping to leave it on for a week or so now and take more time next time i remove.

How are you doing with the UV gels:)
  • Options
    lionsof66lionsof66 Posts: 4,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In response to the original question "how do you know if you have a nail varnish problem?"

Well, it's simple really, I'm male, currently sat on my bed, and I can see 8 different bottles of polish from here. Haha.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shellac fan here. I normally used to stick to white tip, but recently been experimenting with different colours. Had a hot pink, then bubblegum pink, and yesterday got this gorgeous baby pink, unfortunately it doesn't show that we'll in the pic:

4A29DF4E-6E00-4F4B-9C66-79FE3378B1C1-165-000000688A246CFC_zps7e61c7bf.jpg

I'm gonna get the luminous neon yellow next I think.