Options

E-cigs - Should they be included in smoking ban?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this rigmarole over smoking and drinking etc and all of the rules,regs, not being allowed to smoke when you are out at the pub etc, (all the pubs then closed down) has led me to think I may as well take up drugs - they are easy to get hold of and once dropped your away with the faeries for hours on end.
    As the government make legal naughty stuff harder to utilise the kids may as well just get hold of the far easier to use and source illegal alternatives... oh they already are !! doh!

Well that's that plan scuppered - they beat me to it !!

Well done government, you have saved a generation (from your legal alternative hassle) !
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Tests have been done on passive vaping and found that no detectable carcinogens where to be found at all, whatsoever, entirely.

However lots were found beside a normal road.

But why let facts get in the way of the rabid control freaks?

Will patches also be banned as they contain nicotine and so do tomatoes. (However, nicotine has NEVER been found to be a carcinogen)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because they're not cigarettes, duh.

These health experts spend their time in the wrong way, instead of looking for cures to groundbreaking diseases we'll just ban something else :rolleyes:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that I only really took up vaping because you can do it in the pub, I may as well just start buying tobacco again if I'm gonna have to go outside anyway...
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Yes ... sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though I was correcting you! :o

I just imagined those of a "nervous disposition" might seize on the fact that glycol is used in anti-freeze and start panicking! :D
    No probs - I probably typed back slightly snappy because I had one of the dogs barking for no reason.

The "vinegar" used in chippies is more commonly non-brewed condiment. Non-brewed condiment is actually acetic acid and you should see what that stuff can be used for! A mate of mine has actually started only using proper vinegar since she read what it was and it's applications lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Given that I only really took up vaping because you can do it in the pub, I may as well just start buying tobacco again if I'm gonna have to go outside anyway...

Even though I vape I still spend most of my time outside with the smokers as there are sod all people left in the bar including the bar staff.

That really is when you appreciate the full ridiculousness of the smoking ban. There we all are, everyone, and none of us can legally step inside.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though I vape I still spend most of my time outside with the smokers as there are sod all people left in the bar including the bar staff.

That really is when you appreciate the full ridiculousness of the smoking ban. There we all are, everyone, and none of us can legally step inside.

Well the point of the smokng ban is to protect the staff, not the customers. Nothing ridiculous about that.

However I don't see any health issues with the e-ciggs being smoked indoors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BMA has called for e-cigarettes to be banned in public places.

"Our concern with the use of e-cigarettes is that it normalises behaviour that has become socially unacceptable," says Dr Moorthy.

"Our biggest concern is that something that looks like smoking becomes glamorous again and may be attractive to children."

So absolutely no medical grounds, so what the hell are the BMA passing any comments for?

Smoking was/is the 'behaviour' that has allegedly become 'socially unacceptable'.
    Vaping has not.

Shall we ban food as children may think it looks like chewing tobacco and we don't want to glamorise that now do we?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So absolutely no medical grounds, so what the hell are the BMA passing any comments for?

Smoking was/is the 'behaviour' that has allegedly become 'socially unacceptable'.
    Vaping has not.

Shall we ban food as children may think it looks like chewing tobacco and we don't want to glamorise that now do we?

I figure they believe making e-ciggs seem more acceptable might sway people back to normal smoking.... can't say it myself but I guess that's their argument
  • Options
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Well the point of the smokng ban is to protect the staff, not the customers. Nothing ridiculous about that.

However I don't see any health issues with the e-ciggs being smoked indoors.

And when all the staff and landlord smoke and are standing outside with you, it becomes ridiculous that none of us, including the PRIVATE OWNER of the building, can't go inside whilst smoking.

It then goes so far beyond ridiculous that a word haven't been invented for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I figure they believe making e-ciggs seem more acceptable might sway people back to normal smoking.... can't say it myself but I guess that's their argument

Shall we also ban food?
    Shall we ban children from pubs?

If they have a valid argument then so are my arguments.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    Because they are mainly used instead of having a cigarette- I just don't get using them in places you wouldn't have a cigarette. Surely that ups the amount of nicotine taken in? I only use mine in place of a cigarette

My OH got into the habit of constantly puffing on his and it was costing a fortune as he was using the e cig about four times as much as he would smoke. He's cut back now

100% BOLLLOCKS.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when all the staff and landlord smoke and are standing outside with you, it becomes ridiculous that none of us, including the PRIVATE OWNER of the building, can't go inside whilst smoking.

It then goes so far beyond ridiculous that a word haven't been invented for it.

You can't legislate for that possibility. For a start, it would mean the landlord couldn;t hire a non-smoker... against HR laws to discriminate on those grounds. Secondly, a small enclosed, unventilated space is far is much more of a health risk than standing outside. Even if a bar tender smoked 10 a day, they could potentially put a case forward that spending 8 hours in an unventilated room with a high concentration of cigarette smoke has had a much more damaging effect than their 10 ciggs a day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall we also ban food?
    Shall we ban children from pubs?

If they have a valid argument then so are my arguments.

How's food or children posing a health risk to staff?!??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How's food or children posing a health risk to staff?!??

Kids running round and round the restaurant causing people to avoid them and the waiting staff to be in fear of dropping half a ton of boiling hot chicken nuggets on the little buggers heads after which their negligent parents will attempt to sue the establishment could be a reason.

People with their filthy hands grabbing food from buffets and likewise also pose a health hazard to other people with better hygiene. I saw one little kid take some cake eat a bit, decide he didn't like it and spat it back onto the cake plate where others take the cake from....

Oh and NO.... leave e cigs alone. Is there nothing the holier than thou brigade will not stick their smug little noses into?
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The argument for banning them is so frustrating to anyone who reads any of the research.

It looks like smoking - well drinking water looks like vodka, shall we ban water too then? Better think of the children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what if it 'glamourises' the smoking of ecigs? It does absolutely no bloody harm to anyone at all. Ever.

I smoke them and personally think they look a bit bloody daft, far from glamorous, but each to their own. I guess we can't drink water from a bottle in case it appears similar to glugging vodka?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    My husband thinks mine smells like candy floss

What about your e-cigs?
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    There must be some sort of lobbying going on in the background because if they were serious about people giving up smoking and reducing the costs of the health service and improving the health of the nation, which they are, they would be encouraging people to use e-cigs in every health promotion possible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    My husband thinks mine smells like candy floss

Propylene glycol contains a sugar group and is heated by the coil and vaporised in the air to make the cloud look more dense.

Candy floss is sugar that is heated and then flung out at high speed to spin it into candy floss. Some particles becoming airborne and producing the smell.

So there is a connection.

Propylene glycol is considered food safe and used in many things including toothpaste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hammerfan wrote: »
    The argument for banning them is so frustrating to anyone who reads any of the research.

It looks like smoking - well drinking water looks like vodka, shall we ban water too then? Better think of the children.

Basically they don't have any valid medical argument and so only have the scaremongering "Won't someone think of the children" hysterical argument to abuse. But as there are no medical reasons, I have no idea why the BMA are shouting their mouths off. Butt out! It's nothing to do with the BMA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    100% BOLLLOCKS.:)

Confirmed.

I vape constantly! Now

I used to spend £75 a week on cigarettes and that was 5 + years ago (A lot more now).

Now I spend about £6.66 a week. I'm a heavy user and I simply could not in any way vape £75 worth of produce a week. (even without sleeping)

As for vaping them places where you can't have a cigarette: Well yes! Because we can! Because it's not smoking! Because it's no in any way illegal to do so. - So I vape when I wish to vape as I'm legally allowed to.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will patches also be banned as they contain nicotine and so do tomatoes. (However, nicotine has NEVER been found to be a carcinogen)

Coming soon to the produce aisle of your local Tesco

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wu-Jr_vEXoo/UO7xJQDghRI/AAAAAAAAOKY/hVMiCFeRAIo/s640/tomacco.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D:D Good find!

As an aside: For a college video editing project we made a short piece of film fiction called "Pot Plants: The Movie" all and a guy who smoked tomato plants like you would cannabis. :D
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why have we become such pushovers in this country? If everybody took and stand and said no we're not gonna put up with these ridiculous bans and be told what to do then what exactly are they gonna do about it? Take the entire nation of smokers/vapers to court?

It's about time we had a backbone in this country instead of lying back and allowing government do gooders to dictate what's good for us all. But instead as usual we'll just sit there and accept it then moan about it on discussion forums and on Facebook and nothing will ever get done about it.

It's about time we had a complete change of government in this country and one that's capable of some common sense. I think I'm gonna vote UKIP next time.