Getting cold called from Club La Costa Timeshare, what to do?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
I had a call last night from number 02089065239. It rang about 4 times then shut off. I stupidly called it back to an automated answer machine message saying it was Club La Costa, all their operators were busy and someone would call me back. I don't want anyone calling me back. They've since rang again twice.

I have not completed any surveys or given my landline number to anyone. AFAIK the only people who have my landline number are doctors/hospital, the vet, my landlord and my family. Oh and of course Sky which I have my phone with. Anything else we usually use our mobile for.

I'm a bit concerned it may be linked to Sky seeing as we moved our phone over to Sky last month. We're supposed to be opted out of marketing calls and were ex directory but that still doesn't stop some companies selling your info. Prior to this we've never had one single sales call in all the years we've lived here while we were with BT. I fear now were gonna get bombarded. I've read posts about people getting 3-4 calls a day. Once you get on a junk calls list it's very hard to get off it and it just gets sold on and passed round to someone else.

Don't know what to do when they ring again. Don't want to answer it and let them know there's someone here. Don't want to register with the TPS as I've heard people say this sometimes causes more problems but I want to know where they got my number from as I don't give it out to anyone unless it's someone important who I can trust. Maybe they got lucky but now i've called them back (even though nobody answered) this confirms this number is live.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Nowadays when the phone rings I pick it up and stay silent until the caller speaks first. If it is a call centre or whatever I stay silent until they hang up. After a couple of times of doing this they get pissed off and give up. If you speak to them it just seems to encourage them even if you are polite and say no thanks. >:(
  • barlimobarlimo Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I had a call last night from number 02089065239. It rang about 4 times then shut off. I stupidly called it back to an automated answer machine message saying it was Club La Costa, all their operators were busy and someone would call me back. I don't want anyone calling me back. They've since rang again twice.

I have not completed any surveys or given my landline number to anyone. AFAIK the only people who have my landline number are doctors/hospital, the vet, my landlord and my family. Oh and of course Sky which I have my phone with. Anything else we usually use our mobile for.

I'm a bit concerned it may be linked to Sky seeing as we moved our phone over to Sky last month. We're supposed to be opted out of marketing calls and were ex directory but that still doesn't stop some companies selling your info. Prior to this we've never had one single sales call in all the years we've lived here while we were with BT. I fear now were gonna get bombarded. I've read posts about people getting 3-4 calls a day. Once you get on a junk calls list it's very hard to get off it and it just gets sold on and passed round to someone else.

Don't know what to do when they ring again. Don't want to answer it and let them know there's someone here. Don't want to register with the TPS as I've heard people say this sometimes causes more problems but I want to know where they got my number from as I don't give it out to anyone unless it's someone important who I can trust. Maybe they got lucky but now i've called them back (even though nobody answered) this confirms this number is live.

Hardly anything to worry about and you certainly shouldn't have wasted money calling them back.

Perhaps the best thing to do if they ring again is to point out they are wasting their time and money as you do not want anything to do with them.

I had a similar problem with calls from the USA trying to sell me a holiday in Disneyland.

As for the TPS - they can't help with overseas calls however registering with them does cut down the number of these nuisance type calls to some extent and I have never had any problem with the service.
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, my sympathy for this trauma. Have a lie down and make yourself a nice cup of tea, you'll feel better :)

My suggestion would be to pick up the phone when it rings, but if its them, simply hang up. Perhaps if you keep doing this, they'll give up.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have caller display and never answer the phone if the number is with held , out of area, private number,or an 0800 no.
    My daughter used to work for CLC a long time ago, it's a holiday time share company. They cold call to try and get leads.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't know where you heard that registering with the TPS causes problems. I would say that the opposite is true. I am registered with both the TPS and the ICO and in the last 3 years I have only once been cold called. When I told them I was registered with the TPS the calls stopped.

It would seem from some Google research that this tactic works with Club La Costa so no reason for you to delay registering.

Have a read of this from Ofcom: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/live-marketing-calls/#tpsreg

p.s. Have you opted out of the Electoral Register, as this could be where they are getting your number?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    I have caller display and never answer the phone if the number is with held , out of area, private number,or an 0800 no.
    My daughter used to work for CLC a long time ago, it's a holiday time share company. They cold call to try and get leads.

I could never not answer the phone just because I don't recognise the number. It could be a hospital calling to tell me somebody close is ill or has been in an accident. Or any one of a myriad of legitimate other reasons. Cold calls are a bloody nuisance but it only takes seconds to get rid of them. Better than missing something important.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    p.s. Have you opted out of the Electoral Register, as this could be where they are getting your number?
    As far as I know, it doesn't contain phone numbers. Could be one of those random dialers that just happened to pick the OP's number.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, no indication that they even know your name, OP? Could easily be a wrong or random number they've dialled. I suspect you're over thinking this.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never not answer the phone just because I don't recognise the number. It could be a hospital calling to tell me somebody close is ill or has been in an accident.

They'll leave a message. Cold callers won't.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    They'll leave a message. Cold callers won't.
    Not on a landline (and on my mobile, voicemail is turned off). I had a friend who never answered her mobile if the number was withheld or unknown to her. This happened one time and it turned out to be the hospital about her mum. (We only found out because they phoned me next. My phone ringing is such a rare event that it's a pleasure to answer it, whoever it is.) There were many other instances, when I insisted the ringing phone was answered, which turned out to be important calls.

The point is there are many calls from withheld/unknown numbers who can't or won't leave a message, yet can be important. Or even if they leave a message, getting back to them is not so easy (engaged or gone out or on hold, or perhaps they've phoned someone else instead, if they are offering work).
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm registered with TPS and have never had any problems - if I do get any calls I ask how they got my number as I'm registered with TPS and usually the call ends there.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find telling cold callers to "**** off" is quite effective...
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    The TPS have been brilliant for me. I work from home and would get five or six nuisance calls every day, and they completely stopped when I registered. I've heard some people say that the TPS didn't help them much(and they can't do anything about calls from overseas), but I've never heard anyone claim that registering with them has made things worse.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rang again yesterday at 12.30pm and again tonight. This time they let it ring until it went to my voicemail. The message played and the phone went silent for about 5 seconds then they hung up. I still don't know if it's worth answering it and asking how they got my number or whether that will make it worse. Mind you how can it be worse. They obviously aren't giving up. Tw*ts! How can anyone work for a company that uses such dirty tactics of harassing people and making peoples lives a misery.

My son has just gone to bed. It's a good job the phone never woke him up as this is a ridiculous time to call someone.

It's very much of a coincidence how I've not had one single sales call in 7 years yet a month after my move to sky I'm now getting these. To answer an above post we are opted off the electoral register but as far as I know they don't have my phone number anyway.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have some fun with them.. tell them your interested they begin thier speel, put the phone down on the chair and walk away.. after a few times they get the hint. or just ask them to stop calling you in a polite manner with out getting shitty. works for me.
    How much of your life is it making a misery over a whole day? Are you living in fear of them?
    Yes its sales tactics and they are annoying just speak to them next time in a calm collective manner and say please remove me from the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    have some fun with them.. tell them your interested they begin thier speel, put the phone down on the chair and walk away.. after a few times they get the hint. or just ask them to stop calling you in a polite manner with out getting shitty. works for me.

I was thinking of telling them that this is a business or office so hopefully it will put them off.

I'm currently on hold to sky so I can ask about my privacy settings and if there's anything they can do to block unwanted calls. I'm not holding out much hope though.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking of telling them that this is a business or office so hopefully it will put them off.

I'm currently on hold to sky so I can ask about my privacy settings and if there's anything they can do to block unwanted calls. I'm not holding out much hope though.
    If they are a legitimate UK company they have to abide by certain regulations. Which includes not calling you if you specifically ask to be removed from their lists. They are also obliged to filter their call lists by the TPS database so it is worth signing up with TPS (it's free after all).

You may have to write to them to confirm you want your number removed and the operator has to give you details of who to contact.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/live-marketing-calls/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If they are a legitimate UK company they have to abide by certain regulations. Which includes not calling you if you specifically ask to be removed from their lists. They are also obliged to filter their call lists by the TPS database so it is worth signing up with TPS (it's free after all).

You may have to write to them to confirm you want your number removed and the operator has to give you details of who to contact.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2012/10/live-marketing-calls/

Thanks. Sky have just said that they don't share my number with 3rd parties and suggested the TPS but also said they operate a number barring service which I can bar up to 10 numbers but at a cost of £3.50 per month. He suggested the first thing to do is speak to them and tell them not to ring again. If they continue to do so they are then breaking the law and can report them to the TPS or direct to offcom. However the Offcom kink you provided said that TPS doesn't cover silent or abandoned calls which so far this has been the case. They either ring a few times and hang up and when I called back it went to an automated message with no option to opt out. They said instead to call Offcom direct to report them which I will do tomorrow as well as register with the TPS.

I explained that I don't give my number to anyone and he said they've most probably been phishing and because I rang back to see who it was that called then it may have registered on their system as a live address.

Also I was just advised that if possible I record the conversation and inform them that the call is being recorded so they can't deny that I've asked them to stop calling.

The only problem I have with registering with the TPS is who has access to that list of numbers. I want as few organisations knowing my number as possible. Once my number is on a list then who knows who has access to it, whether they're allowed to call me or not.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Sky have just said that they don't share my number with 3rd parties and suggested the TPS but also said they operate a number barring service which I can bar up to 10 numbers but at a cost of £3.50 per month. He suggested the first thing to do is speak to them and tell them not to ring again. If they continue to do so they are then breaking the law and can report them to the TPS or direct to offcom. However the Offcom kink you provided said that TPS doesn't cover silent or abandoned calls which so far this has been the case. They either ring a few times and hang up and when I called back it went to an automated message with no option to opt out. They said instead to call Offcom direct to report them which I will do tomorrow as well as register with the TPS.

I explained that I don't give my number to anyone and he said they've most probably been phishing and because I rang back to see who it was that called then it may have registered on their system as a live address.

Also I was just advised that if possible I record the conversation and inform them that the call is being recorded so they can't deny that I've asked them to stop calling.

The only problem I have with registering with the TPS is who has access to that list of numbers. I want as few organisations knowing my number as possible. Once my number is on a list then who knows who has access to it, whether they're allowed to call me or not.
    The TPS list is available to all tele-sales companies. It has to be otherwise there is no way it would work. But why would they bother trawling through it to find your number? In any case how would they know it's yours? The list is just numbers, no other data is provided.

http://corporate.tpsonline.org.uk/index.php/tps/technical
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They rang again today and managed to get someone to speak to me who informed me they had my number from Hustyns which is owned by CLC which was a hotel I stayed at in Cornwall last year. However if I ever have to give my number to anyone like that to confirm a reservation I always ask to opt out of marketing calls. I've since called the hotel who said they will remove my details from their system but I'm not holding out much hope that they do but fingers crossed. Lets see whether they keep ringing.

I remember specifically asking them not to pass my number on to anyone or use it for marketing calls and the guy on reception told me that my number was only used to confirm my booking or in case there was a problem with my payment and they needed to get in touch with me. Yeah right! Thank God they never had my mobile as I may be getting junk texts as well.

Thanks CLC because you've just managed to do yourself out of any further business from me. I don't deal with people who use harassment to sell me things. It has the opposite effect.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets see whether they keep ringing.

Just say it's a private number and they shouldn't be using it. That should be the end of the conversation; no need to go into further explanations.

Alternatively just say the person they want is not available, or hasn't got any money.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter used to work for CLC, they're given a page of the telephone directory and told to cold call everyone on it.they gradually work their way through the whole directory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    greengran wrote: »
    My daughter used to work for CLC, they're given a page of the telephone directory and told to cold call everyone on it.they gradually work their way through the whole directory.

We're not in the telephone directory.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have smashed the phone up with a baseball bat by now and got a new one, but that's me!
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I suggest you post a review of Hustyns on Trip Advisor saying what has happened and make your point succintly in the first 2 sentences. Looks like there's a good chance they will reply and the calls will stop: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g315947-d451061-Reviews-Hustyns_A_CLC_World_Resort-Wadebridge_Cornwall_England.html