Options

TV host confuses two black actors who look nothing like each other!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Similar to this very awkward John Cusack moment -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXF8Lhvjqa8

Laurence Fishburne looks more like Charlie Brooker.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get Ant and Dec mixed up and they don't even look alike!

People make stupid mistakes in interviews all the time. Someone asked The Corrs how they met LOL

An Irish news station were doing a segment about Enda Kenny (the Irish Taoiseach/Prime Minister) and they had a picture of Victor Garber on the screen. I wonder was it an embarrassing mistake or was someone trolling on their last day.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Recently I confused Thandie Newton with Zoe Saldana.

It happens.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    So rather than laugh it off, he used it to reveal the chip on his shoulder.

Yeah this was what I thought.

Completely over the top reaction. You confused me with someone else so you're just another white man who sees all blacks as just blacks and not as individuals. Erm no... I just made a little mistake. Chill out and lose the chip FFS.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixing actors up is pretty common isn't it, and usually the two people you have a mental block with look pretty dissimilar. I have a problem with Richard E Grant and Rupert Everett. I know they're not alike. I know they're very different. And yet EVERY time I get it wrong. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    That awkwardness is more annoying. Just say black or white next time. Black is a word, it isn't taboo.
    Yes, I know about "next time", it happend 10 years ago, did you not understand my post?...ill explain, I felt such a dckhead, because I realised its just a word and i was being silly.
    You dont have to tell me the obvious.
  • Options
    FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, they do look alike.

There was even a sketch about it on Extras.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Mixing actors up is pretty common isn't it, and usually the two people you have a mental block with look pretty dissimilar. I have a problem with Richard E Grant and Rupert Everett. I know they're not alike. I know they're very different. And yet EVERY time I get it wrong. I don't think race has anything to do with it.

Me too. I always used to get Kevin Costner mixed up with Dennis Quaid. They don't really look alike facially, but they had a vaguely similar look and were in the same kind of movies around the same era. (I'm white, so no race issue).

I can also see why you'd get Richard E Grant and Rupert Everett mixed up too. Even though they don't look alike, they are sort of the same 'type' - similar accents, similar age, similar sort of films etc. It's not just to do with looks.

I agree that Laurence Fishburne and Samuel L Jackson don't look alike at all though - they're not a pair I would get mixed up, but that's because they've been in some of my favourite films so I know their faces well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    The story is incorrect. The reporter was referring to a Superbowl advert for a new Marvel movie, which Jackson features in.Jackson was confused, so got angry with the reporter, who was then himself confused and flustered. Pretty much everyone is reporting this story wrong.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the SLJ/ LF 'confusion' was a long-standing Hollywood cliché anyway? I bet the anchor spent the five minutes before the interview saying "Don't call him Laurence Fishburne, don't call him Laurence Fishburne, don't call him Laurence Fishburne........".

"Hi Laurence....oh f*ck it !" :D
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nothing to do with racism. Take Jamie Fox and Denzel Washington for instance, dead ringers in some films
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    If I ever see Samuel L Jackson I'm gonna call him a random black actors name just to annoy him

Why make it racial? Obviously if you mistake a black actor for another actor they will be black. If he mistook for. White actor he should be really offended

Samuel L Jackson wasn't ared about it. he took it in good humour. it's only in the analysis that other people have said he was angered and that it has been made a racial.

if you are going to misidentify someone you are likely to get the sex and the race right. but this is no more a racial issue than it is a gender one.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Samuel L Jackson wasn't ared about it. he took it in good humour. it's only in the analysis that other people have said he was angered and that it has been made a racial.

if you are going to misidentify someone you are likely to get the sex and the race right. but this is no more a racial issue than it is a gender one.
    SLJ may or may not have been entirely serious, but he made it a racial issue, to wit (my bolding):
    "We don't all look alike! We may all be black and famous but we don't all look alike," said Jackson. "There's more than one black guy doing a commercial."
    He continued: "I'm the 'What's in your wallet?' black guy. He's the car black guy. "Morgan Freeman is the other credit card black guy. You only hear his voice, though, so you probably won't confuse him with Laurence Fishburne,"
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I used to get Ant and Dec mixed up and they don't even look alike!

People make stupid mistakes in interviews all the time. Someone asked The Corrs how they met LOL

An Irish news station were doing a segment about Enda Kenny (the Irish Taoiseach/Prime Minister) and they had a picture of Victor Garber on the screen. I wonder was it an embarrassing mistake or was someone trolling on their last day.

On The One show this week, the ever immaculately reseached Alex Jones mentioned Tell me on a Sunday as one of Elaine Paige's hits, to which Elaine replied with a slightly forced smile "That was Marti Webb"
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I laughed when I saw this thread. I've always mixed up these two!

I swore blind for years that Laurence Fishburne was in Pulp Fiction.

When LF was younger he was much slimmer than he is in that photo and he had the afro hairdo that Samuel L sports in Pulp Fiction. I think that's where the confusion was..for me, anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

:D:D

There's a video somewhere on YouTube in which Keith Chegwin is interviewing Abba while they are promoting their Greatest Hits album.

"How long did this album take to record?"

Agnetha (deadpan): "About two or three years..."

Keith (amazed): "Two or three years - that's a long time!"

It was a Greatest Hits compilation covering their three-year career so far...
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a Staffie who is the image of Samuel L Jackson.
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samnoon wrote: »
    The story is incorrect. The reporter was referring to a Superbowl advert for a new Marvel movie, which Jackson features in.Jackson was confused, so got angry with the reporter, who was then himself confused and flustered. Pretty much everyone is reporting this story wrong.

That's something very different. Do you have any links for that please?
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    samnoon wrote: »
    No, Jackson is in the marvel movie, true, but the host was referring to the kia advert.
    Thats why everyones reporting that as such,
    Dont you think that if the host HAD been referring to the marvel TRAILER he would have said , when Jackson asked him "what commercial", he would have said so?...or at least, if he was flustered, would have said this by now?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sarah Silverman has a great line on mixups
    I was at a fundraiser for Barack Obama in Los Angeles and I wanted to have a really smart question to ask when I met him, so I wandered over and said,

"Senator Obama, when you were a student in Boston, Massachusetts did you encounter racism in any form?"

And his answer was really profound.

He said,

"I'm Kanye West."
    :D
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler mixed up all the time. Am I the only one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    hammerfan wrote: »
    I get Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler mixed up all the time. Am I the only one?

Nazi!

:D

(Just using the Samuel L Jackson approach...)
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get Steve Martin and Leslie Nielsen mixed up all the time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My mum confused River Phoenix with Kiefer Sutherland :p

I get Gene Wilder and Dustin Hoffman mixed up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Hotelier wrote: »
    No, Jackson is in the marvel movie, true, but the host was referring to the kia advert.
    Thats why everyones reporting that as such,
    Dont you think that if the host HAD been referring to the marvel TRAILER he would have said , when Jackson asked him "what commercial", he would have said so?...or at least, if he was flustered, would have said this by now?

The reporter has said that he was referring to the Captain America commercial. And yes it is a commercial, as well as a trailer. It was aired during the commercial break during the Superbowl. He apologised not for confusing Jackson with Fishburne, but for failing to correct Jackson. The story has been widely misreported.