Options

Is David Jason right to reject any new Del/Rodney series?

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK i understand how he feels, original writer is gone, but it seems a real shame not to get further adventures of Del and Rodney, there are brillant writers out there, there is no reason why this cannot be expanded.

Comments

• Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    OMG Yes. He is way too old now. I'm sure he should seek out other roles. Frost was stretch.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with him.

OFAH was great in its day, and "ended" when they became the millionaires of their dreams. What came after was truly awful, and I think DJ realises it too.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    100% right, as far as I recall he is pushing or past 70 now, would just not be believable and Nick Lyndhurst hasn't aged well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I agree with him.

OFAH was great in its day, and "ended" when they became the millionaires of their dreams. What came after was truly awful, and I think DJ realises it too.
    I understand David is old now, nobody is saying he holds a episode like in the 80's, but just to completely dump the entire comedy idea and characters seems wrong.
  • Options
    Gerry MandarinGerry Mandarin Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    100% right, as far as I recall he is pushing or past 70 now, would just not be believable and Nick Lyndhurst hasn't aged well.

What makes you think that, he looked fit and healthy in New Tricks..
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimmie wrote: »
    I understand David is old now, nobody is saying he holds a episode like in the 80's, but just to completely dump the entire comedy idea and characters seems wrong.

both them look too old now. didn't seem right seeing them on the market last night. which is what ofah was all about.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100%
    woeful return last night, he can't even get the voice right now
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant and the best sitcom ever, but they don't quite pull it off at their age now.

Although I kinda want to watch more :)
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how much further they can go with Only Fools now.

The dynamic between the characters, particularly Del and Rodney, can never be recaptured because of their ages. Rodney trying to be the 'dopey younger brother' is just going to look strange for a man of 52.

And Sir David cannot be expected to be chasing about with a suitcase at the age of 74!

The 1996 episodes were spot-on. After bringing it back to life in 2001 they do not seem to know how to close it out.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Only Fools and Horses should have ended in 1996. Becoming millionaires was the natural ending that enhanced the rest of the series, knowing they would eventually achieve their dream.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    No Mike, No Trigger....And that is before the ones that say no to any more episodes. Leave it where it is please
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think there's room for one more special. They're still a great double act.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Nostalgia" can make even a pretty rubbish revival of anything, seem like a good idea.
    But really, you can't go back, as the world has moved on.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be just like reforming an old pop group. A brief bit of nostalgic interest and then you soon realise that "they're no good anymore".

The actors are probably past their best and don't fit the material as well, being nearly 20 years older.

They'd have to find a decent scriptwriter (know any?) to match Sullivan.

They'd have to find some storylines which haven't already been done, or mimic older ones.

You'd have a new generation watching these episodes, who probably wouldn't appreciate the humour. For example I find 50's post war comedy incredibly tame. Not saying it isn't funny, but it's not to my taste.

Modern humour tends to have a lot more innuendo and double entendres, swearing etc. OFAH isn't really any of that
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,552
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    Only Fools and Horses should have ended in 1996. Becoming millionaires was the natural ending that enhanced the rest of the series, knowing they would eventually achieve their dream.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK guys i agree with most all on here, i would not want them to return if viewers expect the same as 80's, that is not going to be case, but perhaps, perhaps maybe a series that says goodbye to del and rodney proper, i should guess that is what John Sullivan would have approved. Provided best writers and production no cost, i imagine actors would be agreeable.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK guys i agree with most all on here, i would not want them to return if viewers expect the same as 80's, that is not going to be case, but perhaps, perhaps maybe a series that says goodbye to del and rodney proper, i should guess that is what John Sullivan would have approved. Provided best writers and production no cost, i imagine actors would be agreeable.

Why do we need to say goodbye? We've already done it.. several times. They're not real people. It's a series that had it's day and was brilliant. But now whenever I see David Jason try to be Del Boy or Granville.. he just looks old. And it makes me feel old. And it just looks naff. As if they're trying to recapture the past.. which is never possible. They should just let it be and if they want to bring it back.. show some more repeats.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    They should have ended it in 1996 as was originally intended. The episodes after that were dreadful.

I really don't see how it could possibly come back. No Uncle Albert, no Trigger and no Mike... and the guy who wrote it is dead. It's a non-starter. The show was great in its day, but without the writer and several integral, much-loved and irreplaceable characters, any attempt to resurrect it would be a pitiful shadow of its former self.

Some things are better left in the past.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Yes. All too old now.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they had ended with Del and Raquel finally getting married :(
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    The whole concept and why it worked was that Rodney was a thick teenager and Del Boy was his older wide-boy brother.

They pushed that far too long and now it just doesn't work.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it seem wrong? Do you expect David Jason to keep playing a tired old version of the same character until he drops?
  • Options
    Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member

But a lot of characters are now dead
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it seem wrong? Do you expect David Jason to keep playing a tired old version of the same character until he drops?

When he was on Michael MacIntyre's chat show he still seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm for the character. One final special would have been great. I reckon it definitely would have happened if John Sullivan hadn't tragically died...
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole concept and why it worked was that Rodney was a thick teenager and Del Boy was his older wide-boy brother.

They pushed that far too long and now it just doesn't work.

rodney was never a teenager in ofah. he was 23 in the first series