Options

What is the biggest win you have had when betting on Sport?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
never betted myself but what has been your biggest win?

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1976, I had a nice double on the winners of The Lincoln and another hurdle race the same day

The Hertford 25/1 and Manzoni 100/6 which won on a D/Q. Best picks I ever had. I got the 1-2 in Grand National a few years later.

Researching this, I just noticed that the Lincoln winners from 1926 to 1937 are the horses in the Waddington's Game, Totopoly.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is between two

One was a place pot at the Cheltenham festival which included a few shock placing and the other was a lucky 15 I did one day whilst bored at home. All 4 won and a couple weren't favourites or second favourites.

Best on a single race was a good bet on Red Maurader in the 2001 Grand National. It was 33/1. Normally I wouldn't back a longshot to win but I really fancied it strongly.

Won't mention amounts as that's irrelevant and it's obviously all in scale to what you can afford to lose
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forget names, but I have had a couple of 50-1 winners.

One in the early 90s and one again around 2007.
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't bet all that often but mine would be when I backed Neptune Collonges to win the national in 2012, won at 33/1 by a nose don't think I've ever shouted as much at the end of a race! Was a real favourite horse of mine as I'd had a win on him at Cheltenham the year before.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest win was a 50p EW yankee at York about 20 years ago ...it was one of the years that Ezzoud won the International

I had 3 winners, all at decent odds, think one was 12/1 and 6/1 and can't remember the other......

More recently.....a couple of years ago, I had some free bets after winning a competition and my first two free bets both won at 33/1......on consecutive days
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    2000 euro,i bet 15 games to go over 2.5 goals and it came in.withdrew some and was kind enough to give the rest back to them via trying it again many times:p:(
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Thursday of the 2012 Cheltenham Festival I had 5 winners in various combos. These included Sir Des Champs, Riverside Theatre and Cape Tribulation. I won about 5k that day which has swirled in my betting account since.

Odds wise, easy. Scatter Dice in the 2013 Cesarewitch. £1 ew at 66/1.

Big miss was Mon Mome in 2009 National. I got 26/1 on a place through Betfair but did not back it to win at 100/1. I thought it was stunningly overpriced.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,168
    Forum Member
    I got £10 on Wolves to be relegated when they were 40/1. Laid a bit off but still made £200.
  • Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My most frustrating betting moment was losing out on over £700 from a £1 treble after my first two horses won and the last was beaten by a nose.

I'm a complete wimp when it comes to betting, normally going up to £5 at most, and even that is quite rare :blush:

My two best were £50 from a each-way bet in last year's Ayr gold cup, and the same amount from a win bet in the Scottish Grand National.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm a complete wimp when it comes to betting, normally going up to £5 at most, and even that is quite rare :blush:

/QUOTE]

I'm the same......a small stakes johnny !

:D

I did have 12 quid to win on a horse yesterday but that was another 'free bet'......(it won !).....but normally a tenner is my maximum and I quite often just do a pound EW......:o
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Thursday of the 2012 Cheltenham Festival I had 5 winners in various combos. These included Sir Des Champs, Riverside Theatre and Cape Tribulation. I won about 5k that day which has swirled in my betting account since.

Odds wise, easy. Scatter Dice in the 2013 Cesarewitch. £1 ew at 66/1.

Big miss was Mon Mome in 2009 National. I got 26/1 on a place through Betfair but did not back it to win at 100/1. I thought it was stunningly overpriced.

Place only is really good value though. Better than ew, i think. I had 10/1 lord atterbury place only on 1999.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet long-odds on golf all the time, and with Betfair, so I only recently picked up 189-1 winner Larrazabal, I layed off a little though.

I've picked up a fair few 125s too, with webster and Kingston and others.

Should be said that these bets come along very infrequently, and it often means I go months without winning.

In fact I was down to my last two pounds on Betfair, put it on Loius Oosthuizen, for a slightly shorter priced winner than normal 14s, it won, and with that money I was able to back Larrazabal, and next week Jessica Korda at 89s all fairly atypical though after going through a trough that made me think of giving it up entirely.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Place only is really good value though. Better than ew, i think. I had 10/1 lord atterbury place only on 1999.

I was kicking myself for not doing it to win, not because I had a place bet of poor value. I thought it would win but I basically bottled it.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At work picking horses for the Grand National. A quid a time.
    I got Earth Summit 7/1 favourite in 1998.
    No chance I said, but got more than £30. It wasn't done again.

I'm not a big better.
  • Options
    MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a fiver on the Liverpool v Chelsea CL semi a few years ago to finish 1-1 with Dirk Kuyt first scorer, 50/1. As I was putting the bet on, my computer crashed, so had to reload everything and try again. When I got to the bet page, it had gone up to 60/1, my eyes lit up, so put my original fiver on.

Got to the game, Kuyt scored first, Liverpool 1-0 up.
    Got to the 93rd minute, my head in my hands, another fiver wasted, John Arne Riise scores an own goal, Chelsea equalise. Whistle goes and I'm dancing round my room, £305 better off. (Despite the fact I am a Liverpool fan!)

Come to withdraw my winnings, and thought there must be some mistake, there was £560 in my account. After a few minutes, I realised that before my computer crashed, my original bet had gone through also. Happy days. Paid for my trip to Perpignan for the Warrington v Catalans game. Never won anything like that since!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I was quite fortunate with mine. Recently at the snooker shoot out tournament Dominic Dale was getting beat by Mark Allen and his odds lengthened to 120/1. Dominic Dale came back and won but Sky Bet didn't decrease his odds quick enough and I mange to get £2.50 E/W before his odds shortened again. Dominic Dale went on to win the event and I won nearly £500.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 40/1 winner at an Ascot meeting back in 1995. It was called Night Dance and it won a 6F sprint.
  • Options
    Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    won £2500 from a £1 12 fold football accumulator bet :D
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Had a very lucrative spread bet on Pantani in the Tour de France he won. Good job the drug tests weren't effective.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    garthy1706 wrote: »
    I was quite fortunate with mine. Recently at the snooker shoot out tournament Dominic Dale was getting beat by Mark Allen and his odds lengthened to 120/1. Dominic Dale came back and won but Sky Bet didn't decrease his odds quick enough and I mange to get £2.50 E/W before his odds shortened again. Dominic Dale went on to win the event and I won nearly £500.

How is £380 returns "nearly £500"? :p:p
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is £380 returns "nearly £500"? :p:p

If it was 1/2 the odds its £450. If a 1/3 then £400
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the National, and back when I used to study form, I spotted a horse that was rubbish in anything but a mudbath at 200-1 and had a fiver each way. It rained solidly for the next few days and I think it went off at 20/1 or something. It came second by a length, gutted. Still my biggest win at 1/4 the odds, I'm a betting wimp too.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,008
    Forum Member
    2013 Grand National winner, Auroras Encore at 66-1. Put on a tenner to win then used my tenner free bet for each way. Won about £850.