✭✭✭
The Lib Dems must be very proud.

( and I'm a lib dem)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for the BBC for showing the upheaval this is having on families.

Well overdue.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised me of the common denominator amongst the type of people shown in the documentry
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long thread on the programme here :-

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1955125
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Surprised me of the common denominator amongst the type of people shown in the documentry

The common denominator seemed to be having more children than they could afford to support. I have sympathy for those with a single child from a failed relationship a father who has done a runner but those with 5, 7 or 9 kids really only have themselves to blame.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The common denominator seemed to be having more children than they could afford to support. I have sympathy for those with a single child from a failed relationship a father who has done a runner but those with 5, 7 or 9 kids really only have themselves to blame.

I would love to see an interviewer make that point!

I didn't see it, but I saw the trailer where someone was told that they cannot afford to live in London. Seems fair enough to me.

I can't afford to live in London, so I don't.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

I didn't see it, but I saw the trailer where someone was told that they cannot afford to live in London. Seems fair enough to me.

1 in 4 households in london claim housing benefit, http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CFwQqQIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Flondonist.com%2F2014%2F04%2Fone-in-four-london-households-on-housing-benefit.php&ei=6AxHU6GuJqPA7AbdmIHQDg&usg=AFQjCNGCzZnGygYpfsMXehagxLVIMJ9QRA&bvm=bv.64507335,d.ZGU&cad=rja
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Up to 80% of housing benefit claimants in some London boroughs are working. You can't just move the low paid out of London and pretend it wont have knock on consequences for the whole city economy. A viable city needs people at all scales of the income and job scale.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree if you are choosing to live in London then i dont see how you can complain. if you were born in London well that's a different matter.
    It would be interesting to know how many homes have been bought under the right to buy scheme and how many homes have been built to replace those homes, add this to the increased population+ more foreigners moving into this country, no wonder rents have shot through the roof. am sure every Londoner would love to pay less rent so i don't see how it's their fault, the fault lays with previous governments, they not only allowed this situation to develop their policies fuelled the massive rent rises.
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

Well overdue.

What about the upheaval this is having on everyone else ? People paying to live in Luton and Birmingham and then having tihis ungrateful lot put in the house next door .
    Some of these people should keep their legs closed .
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Up to 80% of housing benefit claimants in some London boroughs are working. You can't just move the low paid out of London and pretend it wont have knock on consequences for the whole city economy. A viable city needs people at all scales of the income and job scale.

But surely doing that would rebalance the economy as it would force the people who hold the power to deal with the housing crisis.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    I agree if you are choosing to live in London then i dont see how you can complain. if you were born in London well that's a different matter.

If you are born in London then you are free to move away. It's not a prison camp are there is life outside the M25.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    But surely doing that would rebalance the economy as it would force the people who hold the power to deal with the housing crisis.

1 in 4 households in london are claiming HB, that is One in four, or about 843,000, London households currently receive housing benefit to help them pay their rent, says a new London Assembly report. but that is 843,000, households not people so the number of people to rehouse would be a a lot more than that
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    1 in 4 households in london are claiming HB, that is One in four, or about 843,000, London households currently receive housing benefit to help them pay their rent, says a new London Assembly report. but that is 843,000, households not people so the number of people to rehouse would be a a lot more than that

Yes we know you said so in reply #7 and gave a link then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are born in London then you are free to move away. It's not a prison camp are there is life outside the M25.
    There is a shortage of housing, for years the government has not faced up to reality. too many people are moving into London then demanding accommodation, that's wrong, the only point i make is local people should have priority when it comes to housing. it must be a nightmare for cockneys, their children forced out of the area due to lack of affordable housing. am sure the same thing is happening in other cities, the same logic should apply their as well.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

Well overdue.

Perhaps the BBC have realised the tories will screw them over anyway regardless of if their coverage pleases them so has finally started to get its backbone back?
  • Options
    HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are born in London then you are free to move away. It's not a prison camp are there is life outside the M25.[/
    Maybe some of these people would not mind moving out of inner London if the public transport was cheaper to use, as in most other European countries . There will be some that will not want to Move out of London regardless, Somalians etc , as they feel they must be close to their own kind ., basically they want ghettos .
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    There is a shortage of housing, for years the government has not faced up to reality. too many people are moving into London then demanding accommodation, that's wrong, the only point i make is local people should have priority when it comes to housing. it must be a nightmare for cockneys, their children forced out of the area due to lack of affordable housing. am sure the same thing is happening in other cities, the same logic should apply their as well.

And of course the reality of mass immigration having a knock on affect was always something governments found easier not to face up to. Even now they'd rather blame it on foreign cash buyers.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    And of course the reality of mass immigration having a knock on affect was always something governments found easier not to face up to. Even now they'd rather blame it on foreign cash buyers.
    The foreign investors do have an impact on housing in London,so does immigration, but the major issue, and has been for the last 30 years, is a lack of housebuilding and in particular a lack of affordable and social housing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to 80% of housing benefit claimants in some London boroughs are working.
    Please provide a link as I doubt this and have not been able to find where you got that from using google.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But not enough jobs.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it must be a nightmare for cockneys, their children forced out of the area due to lack of affordable housing. am sure the same thing is happening in other cities, the same logic should apply their as well.

That's been happening for at least 150 years. All my great grandparents were born in London and I can trace their families' movements from the centre out over generations. My mother's maiden name lived in Soho in the early 19th century, my surname Bethnal Green in the mid 19th, both can be traced moving further and further out.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good on the BBC for highlighting the level of abuse, and sense of self entitlement by the life style benefits abusers and spongers and assorted lead swingers.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Good on the BBC for highlighting the level of abuse, and sense of self entitlement by the life style benefits abusers and spongers and assorted lead swingers.

Yes it is good that people should now be aware how few such people there are given that the benefits cap will save around 0.05% of the welfare bill in 2013/14 according to government figures. Hopefully this will stop the ignorant comments from some prejudiced individuals who inaccurately try to exaggerate an issue that needs to be dealt with but one that it also relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But should tax money from else where in the UK be siphoned to London simply to subsidise low paid jobs? Surely if companies want cleaners, security staff, admin clerks they should pay a rate that will attract them. If that means paying cleaners £25 an hour then that's what they should do, not expect taxpayers elsewhere in the country to effectively subsidise their low staffing costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    That's been happening for at least 150 years. All my great grandparents were born in London and I can trace their families' movements from the centre out over generations. My mother's maiden name lived in Soho in the early 19th century, my surname Bethnal Green in the mid 19th, both can be traced movingt further and further out.
    To be honest not sure what point you are trying to make, people have been moving into London for centuries and yes this must have affected rents, forcing locals out of the area, this is the very reason councils built affordable housing.