Bloody Gregg Wallace

pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
Forum Member
I'd better say upfront that I can't stand the guy, but my question isn't why is he such a tit, but what on earth qualifies him to pass judgment as he does in Masterchef? He made his mint with a string of greengrocer's, then had a series called Veg Talk on Radio 4. Then he turns up on TV, pontification as though he were an expert. Why. Anyone here like him and care to defend him.

Comments

• PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Probably the same reason half the X Factor 'experts' aren't really experts. They're TV personalities, hired for their ability to attract an audience.
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    He is smugly revolting too.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tragedy is of all the people to leave Masterchef.... it's Michel. :( The best thing to happen to it in years. I still can't believe it. The BBC would rather lose a chef legend like Michel over a silly sponsorship issue yet they retain Gregg Wallace?! There is no justice in this world. :(
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    The tragedy is of all the people to leave Masterchef.... it's Michel. :( The best thing to happen to it in years. I still can't believe it. The BBC would rather lose a chef legend like Michel over a silly sponsorship issue yet they retain Gregg Wallace?! There is no justice in this world. :(

I don't actually watch Masterchef because I think the whole premise of competitive cooking is ludicrous, the kind of thing a satirist would have thought up in the Sixties to get a laugh (similarly the six-part series on the work of town planners and the one, currently running, about the wacky life in a call centre). However, my wife watches it and I catch a glimpse every now and then, and I must say I have nothing against John Torode.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    His programme would have been more appropriately named 'The veg talks'.
  • Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Poppy99 wrote: »
    He is smugly revolting too.

:kitty::kitty::kitty: he really is
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a creep to boot as well!

He & his equally smug pr*ckpal, John Torode, seem to pick winners who happen to be rather young & attractive women. Why they chose Lisa Faulkner :o of all MC contestants to be the worthy winner over Christine Hamilton whom I felt deserved to win was a travesty and now John's having lots of rides out from Ms Faulkner...some surprise!! :mad:
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    I'd better say upfront that I can't stand the guy, but my question isn't why is he such a tit, but what on earth qualifies him to pass judgment as he does in Masterchef? He made his mint with a string of greengrocer's, then had a series called Veg Talk on Radio 4. Then he turns up on TV, pontification as though he were an expert. Why. Anyone here like him and care to defend him.

Tonight I asked the same question myself. Surely Torode could do it himself.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »

He & his equally smug pr*ckpal, John Torode, seem to pick winners who happen to be rather young & attractive women. Why they chose Lisa Faulkner :o of all MC contestants to be the worthy winner over Christine Hamilton whom I felt deserved to win was a travesty and now John's having lots of rides out from Ms Faulkner...some surprise!! :mad:

I thought that as well , Gregg seems to leer over the women contestants when he goes around to talk to them , it's quite sickening to watch tbh .

I do wonder about the BBC's choice of presenters tbh as Gregg seems to get into a lot of bother off camera with his personal life anyone else and they would of been given the boot ages ago but gregg seems to be a bit teflon as in nothing sticks , I am already losing interest in this new series because of him :(
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I like them together. They are good presenters and compliment each other well. Good on ya Toady and Shrek. No one could do it quite like them.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »

Everyone knows it was a fix when she was crowned, she was shagging him allegedly during filming.

She made herself sexually and aesthetically unattractive to any decent male when she shacked up with him,
  • MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I like them together. They are good presenters and compliment each other well. Good on ya Toady and Shrek. No one could do it quite like them.

:D:D:D. I agree with your comments and also am finding Greg quite amusing this time around.
    He's a harmless little shrekky thing.
    What I Really, Really dislike is having to watch John Torode eat ... very stomach turning the way his massive tongue comes out to greet the food.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I thought that as well , Gregg seems to leer over the women contestants when he goes around to talk to them , it's quite sickening to watch tbh .

I do wonder about the BBC's choice of presenters tbh as Gregg seems to get into a lot of bother off camera with his personal life anyone else and they would of been given the boot ages ago but gregg seems to be a bit teflon as in nothing sticks , I am already losing interest in this new series because of him :(

he really is an old letch he goes on twitter looking for much younger women his last wife was.and now his lastest GF met both via twitter.his head looks like a gient ball of puse waring glasses
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    MrsCloumbo wrote: »
    :D:D:D. I agree with your comments and also am finding Greg quite amusing this time around.
    He's a harmless little shrekky thing.
    What I Really, Really dislike is having to watch John Torode eat ... very stomach turning the way his massive tongue comes out to greet the food.

I find him quite sexy :blush:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    He stood next to me at London Welsh once. We all had a great time with him. He got the drinks in first, he was happy to pay his round.
    He used to coach one of the kids teams at London Welsh.
    He's a true gentleman.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows it was a fix when she was crowned, she was shagging him allegedly during filming.

She made herself sexually and aesthetically unattractive to any decent male when she shacked up with him,

Really???

She's a very attractive woman and seems very pleasant. Perhaps she's not so shallow as just to see looks and find character and intelligence more important. He's certainly not my cup of tea - but each to their own.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think both him and John Torode are OK. Don't get the hatred. So he did well for himself. Good on him.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading Wikipedia, it seems like Wallace isn't a qualified chef at all. All he's apparently done is selling vegetables. Torode has been a chef, I think.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I think both him and John Torode are OK. Don't get the hatred. So he did well for himself. Good on him.

Yep. If anyone can get a lucky break, good on them.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D

I don't watch Masterchef anymore but I think they worked well together. Also, it's not necessary to be a qualified chef to appreciate and be passionate about well cooked, well-presented, creative cooking so the argument that Gregg is somehow unqualified to judge is nonsense.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    he really is an old letch he goes on twitter looking for much younger women his last wife was.and now his lastest GF met both via twitter.his head looks like a gient ball of puse waring glasses

Is he still trying to pick up younger women on Twitter?! :o

There was a creepiness about how the relationship with his previous wife played out. They both gave some very strange interviews. Very bizarre.
    Forum Member
    I find him quite sexy :blush:

???????

Off with your head!

The guy's about as sexy as a recently used bogbrush, given that sexy involves personality as well as looks. Mind I'm a guy, so I can't really comment, but . . .
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    . . . So he did well for himself. Good on him.

So did Josef Stalin.
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »

I've also got to say that when, and it isn't often, I spend more than a few minutes looking over my wife's shoulder and see some of the dishes presented by contestant, they really are a joke. Most look a complete mess and are a parody of what they see on TV prepared by bona fide chefs. They all seem to run away with the idea that 'good well-cooked food' should somehow be tricksy and clever with some kind of 'jus'.

But we all know - we who had the good fortune to have tasty meals cooked for us at some point in our lives (my mum in my case, not my wife) or who like cooking ourselves - that very good meals can be prepared very simply without any of the pseudo professional pfaffing around on Masterchef.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    After reading Wikipedia, it seems like Wallace isn't a qualified chef at all. All he's apparently done is selling vegetables. Torode has been a chef, I think.
    He still is (a good one) and a restauranteur.

I think they work well for the programme. I really like the judges in the Australian one, all three of them equally.