The Saturdays in America

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    LOL!!

I feel mean but I'm so glad they're flopping. I find them to be such arrogant bitches, and their fans to be completely deluded. For them to expect to ever get any US success is frankly hilarious. If the UK barely cares about them, why would Americans?!

Arrogant is probably the last word anyone would use to describe The Saturdays.

And it's hardly flopping if they've done **** all to promote it. They've not even set an adds date for it on radio yet!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie shoud go solo
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    LOL!!

I feel mean but I'm so glad they're flopping. I find them to be such arrogant bitches, and their fans to be completely deluded. For them to expect to ever get any US success is frankly hilarious. If the UK barely cares about them, why would Americans?!

Lol wtf? They are some of the most down to earth and nicest girls I've ever seen in the UK media!
    Also, wishing failure on other people is just sad.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I love the song Mollie was recording on their reality show, "Never Giving Up On Love" or something like that. I hope it makes the album.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the UK is getting fed up of cheap reality shows as well. Who thought a TV show was a good way of promoting a group's music?

Their managent it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie shoud go solo

TNh not sure she is good enogh, looks can only get you so far.
    They have a token black and Asian member to "appeal" to a cosmopolitan demographic that is more common in America?

I agree that Higher really should have been pushed in the USA and that video, particularly the Beatles pastiche moment where they cross the road in a line, would have appealed more to the young female audience while making it clear they were a British import trying to make it in America. That was all over the video visually. I mean, why are 1D always dressed formally and shown using retro phones or by red phoneboxes? It makes them out as distinctly British and American women love the idea of a sharply dressed English man. They are not playing to their strengths and are failing as a result.

Not sure that makes a diffrence to people liking their stuff. Just cause they have as you say they have 2 token memembers. Means people of their clours will like their music any more.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love the song Mollie was recording on their reality show, "Never Giving Up On Love" or something like that. I hope it makes the album.

I think it was called Not Giving Up On Love and no it's not a cover of the Sophie Ellis-Bextor song of the same name. It has no connection to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So caught a bit of their show on E!, Not really impressed. Vanessa came off like a Brat. Not sure who believed a Scriped Show would work well for them over there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of wish they didn't bother with America now. It's all been a big disaster.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with above comment, like i said before they should have gone to Europe and Australia/Asia and built up an international fanbase before going for the big buck of America.
    Songs build on momentum and a ripple effect The Saturdays will just get lost in America unless they have a global smash song which i haven't heard as of yet.

All the Brit artists you can think of who have done well in the US all had overseas success before America gets interested, again momentum. 1D had the biggest following from international countries like the Spice Girls before coming to America and that created a buzz mixed with the right song makes a US success. Both released their albums/single in the States as the last country and the demand was there and both went to #1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with above comment, like i said before they should have gone to Europe and Australia/Asia and built up an international fanbase before going for the big buck of America.
    Songs build on momentum and a ripple effect The Saturdays will just get lost in America unless they have a global smash song which i haven't heard as of yet.

All the Brit artists you can think of who have done well in the US all had overseas success before America gets interested, again momentum. 1D had the biggest following from international countries like the Spice Girls before coming to America and that created a buzz mixed with the right song makes a US success. Both released their albums/single in the States as the last country and the demand was there and both went to #1.

Spot on, the Saturdays seem to lack something, They just don't seem to have star quality.

Its one think singing at after party's but they should be aiming to sing at the Grammy's no go their as people who were invited if they were.

Hate the fact they are trying to sell Music through their show, what ever happend to getting by on talent and being yourself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    It has become increasingly difficult to become successful without some sort of platform to launch yourself from. Just because an act hasn't come from a talent or reality TV show doesn't mean they haven't had a lot of help along the way. There are people behind the scene making deals on their behalf. People rarely become successful simply because they're talented and being themselves.

No sane artist makes performing at the Grammys a goal. That's something someone hopes for in their wildest dreams. It's a tough and overcrowded industry to crack, you take every opportunity you're given and hope you're successful enough to make a living from what you do, anything else is a bonus. The Saturdays performed at a prestigious after party in front of important people across the media industry. I wouldn't turn something like that down simply because it's not the Grammys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    It has become increasingly difficult to become successful without some sort of platform to launch yourself from. Just because an act hasn't come from a talent or reality TV show doesn't mean they haven't had a lot of help along the way. There are people behind the scene making deals on their behalf. People rarely become successful simply because they're talented and being themselves.

No sane artist makes performing at the Grammys a goal. That's something someone hopes for in their wildest dreams. It's a tough and overcrowded industry to crack, you take every opportunity you're given and hope you're successful enough to make a living from what you do, anything else is a bonus. The Saturdays performed at a prestigious after party in front of important people across the media industry. I wouldn't turn something like that down simply because it's not the Grammys.

Maybe so, but if your music is good enough it will speak for itself. Don't see Adele, Estelle etc needing Tv Shows to get the Us to like them etc.
    No sane artist makes performing at the Grammys a goal.
    When i say aiming for the grammy's. Don't mean they should make it a goal. more that they should aim tio be big stars.

The Saturdays performed at a prestigious after party in front of important people across the media industry. I wouldn't turn something like that down simply because it's not the Grammys

I never said they should turn it down, Imo those important people would tkae more interest in them, if they were a new exciting band with potential.
  • madmark20madmark20 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    They are garbage,
    Forum Member
    Maybe so, but if your music is good enough it will speak for itself. Don't see Adele, Estelle etc needing Tv Shows to get the Us to like them etc.

Adele's music sold well in the US, didn't it? I don't even think Cher Lloyd had a TV show and didn't Want U Back do quite well over there? I think the whole TV show thing smacks of desperation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The timing of their arrival stateside was dreadful... it should've been done years ago. The industry for female artists has changed in just a year. Sex sells and in some cases still does to those already well established... however, as someone actually pointed out in another thread yesterday, Adele stepped onto the scene and the music they push has been put aside. Even Rihanna has stopped with the highly complex choreography, hence the release of Diamonds.

And on top of all that, not only do two of them have commitments... one of them being pregnant and the other already has a daughter. But your target market is pretty much teenage girls, the same teenage girls that are already besotted with One Direction.

2009 was the year for any girlband to take off. There wasn't really any threat about and they could all be fully commited. Right now they should still be over there, but from what I understand, they're at home pushing their reality tv show on twitter. It can take years of grafting in the US to get any attention, yet they only spent a couple of months over there. It was a poorly planned out expedition.

Perhaps their management were expecting or hoping for an impact like One Direction... but they had teenage girls hooked before they even arrived, their arrival was built entirely upon social media. And The Wanted had an ace up their sleeve, Scooter Braun, who was the one who pulled all sorts of strings... eventually getting them on American idol. There's alot of factors why they've not taken off and it doesn't look like they will.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    The timing of their arrival stateside was dreadful... it should've been done years ago. The industry for female artists has changed in just a year. Sex sells and in some cases still does to those already well established... however, as someone actually pointed out in another thread yesterday, Adele stepped onto the scene and the music they push has been put aside. Even Rihanna has stopped with the highly complex choreography, hence the release of Diamonds.

And on top of all that, not only do two of them have commitments... one of them being pregnant and the other already has a daughter. But your target market is pretty much teenage girls, the same teenage girls that are already besotted with One Direction.

2009 was the year for any girlband to take off. There wasn't really any threat about and they could all be fully commited. Right now they should still be over there, but from what I understand, they're at home pushing their reality tv show on twitter. It can take years of grafting in the US to get any attention, yet they only spent a couple of months over there. It was a poorly planned out expedition.

Perhaps their management were expecting or hoping for an impact like One Direction... but they had teenage girls hooked before they even arrived, their arrival was built entirely upon social media. And The Wanted had an ace up their sleeve, Scooter Braun, who was the one who pulled all sorts of strings... eventually getting them on American idol. There's alot of factors why they've not taken off and it doesn't look like they will.

What the Saturdays have lacked is a song like 'What Makes You Beautiful' I am not a One Direction fan, but that song had 'massive hit' written all over it the first time I heard it...in the same way the Spice Girls 'Wannabe' hit me the first time.

the Saturdays have had some decent songs, but nothing in the league of those songs just mentioned.
    Forum Member
    What the Saturdays have lacked is a song like 'What Makes You Beautiful' I am not a One Direction fan, but that song had 'massive hit' written all over it the first time I heard it...in the same way the Spice Girls 'Wannabe' hit me the first time.

the Saturdays have had some decent songs, but nothing in the league of those songs just mentioned.

I agree. Even in the UK, they need a big hit that will save their career. They need their own Freak Like Me, Whole Again or Umbrella. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen with their current management :( The dance thing isn't helping either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Their new song "Not Giving Up on Love" sounds like it could possibly be the hit they need. I don't know why they didn't release it as their lead single! But then again, they NEVER release the right song first.

Not Giving Up on Love snippits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PFhEaN_gVk
    Forum Member
    I agree. Even in the UK, they need a big hit that will save their career. They need their own Freak Like Me, Whole Again or Umbrella. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen with their current management :( The dance thing isn't helping either.

I agree, all of those 3 songs you mentioned lifted their singers up to a whole new level.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their new song "Not Giving Up on Love" sounds like it could possibly be the hit they need. I don't know why they didn't release it as their lead single! But then again, they NEVER release the right song first.

Not Giving Up on Love snippits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PFhEaN_gVk

Frankie did mention on twitter the other day that she was going into a meeting about the next video, so I presume they've picked the single, hopefully this one because it sounds pretty great tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope the single they launch the album with is not one like My Heart Takes Over.
    I think that coupled with the lack of promo for their last album is what led it to flop so badly.
    Forum Member
    I agree, all of those 3 songs you mentioned lifted their singers up to a whole new level.

Well they were all big hits and Freak Like Me was the first Sugababes single with Heidi. I read somewhere that Atomic Kitten were on the verge of being dropped when Whole Again came out first.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Frankie shoud go solo

:D.... I always thought Vannessa would.
    Forum Member
    Well they were all big hits and Freak Like Me was the first Sugababes single with Heidi. I read somewhere that Atomic Kitten were on the verge of being dropped when Whole Again came out first.

that is true, same goes for Robbie Williams and Angels.