The Saturdays in America

Comments

• mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    ^ Interesting to hear what their tracks with Darkchild will sound like. Though I'm dreading the inevitable "Darkchild" shout out over the top somewhere on the song.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Stally wrote: »
    That's really weird. Also they don't have an adds date for What About Us either. I'm really surprised they've landed a slot on Jay Leno though, but I don't see the point of performing the song on the show if they haven't given radio stations an adds date yet.

http://www.allaccess.com/top40-mainstream/future-releases

Sending to radio isn't the same as an adds date i think.
    Itunes demand can make radio hop on a song. See Scream & Shout.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Sending to radio isn't the same as an adds date i think.
    Itunes demand can make radio hop on a song. See Scream & Shout.

It is. Stations can play the song before an adds date, happens all the time. An adds date is usually when the song is "officially" serviced to stations, letting them know it's a single. Similar to the UK. After that it's upto the Stations whether to playlist it or not. Ultimately determining its success.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    It is. Stations can play the song before an adds date, happens all the time. An adds date is usually when the song is "officially" serviced to stations, letting them know it's a single. Similar to the UK. After that it's upto the Stations whether to playlist it or not. Ultimately determining its success.

I thought they were different. Anywho, they'll have some success. I predict top 30. I remember saying TW would hit top 10 with GYC and everyone thought no way. It's a catchy song.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Agree on all points there. Re musical style they should have stayed with the 1st album as it was "the Saturdays" style which worked.

The last few years its seemed like they followed whatever trend was happeneding that month, it has always been desperate.

The girls dont seem strong enough to take the reigns on anything and their poor management have taken them down the wrongs paths

I've said this before but I think their pop stuff was best. Anyone remember when Missing You came out and fans were encouraged to multibuy so it would get to No 1? That reeked of desperation. In the end I think it only got to No 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20662872,00.html

Introduction to Chasing The Saturdays. I think the US are going to love Mollie.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays are working with Demi Lovato? I am so here for this, anything Demi does turns to gold.
    Since Dem started working on her album in the fall, we’ve been dying for a release. And on Tuesday, January 8, 2013, she was spotted out in LA on the way into the studio with UK superstars The Saturdays. Will their collaborations show up on Demi’s album? Theirs? Can we buy the ringtone, like, yesterday? So many questions, but at least we can rule out the ones hanging in the air about where she is and how she’s doing. As long as she’s singing, we’re all healthy and happy.

http://www.wetpaint.com/the-x-factor/articles/demi-lovato-spotted-out-in-la-back-to-work-post-twitter-meltdown
    Forum Member
    ^ That sounds intriguing. I wonder what those songs will sound like?
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20662872,00.html

Introduction to Chasing The Saturdays. I think the US are going to love Mollie.

Whoa, that trailer looked like it had professional footage of the All Fired Up tour....could this finally mean a DVD?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZVrUPvsa4

The Chelsea Lately interview. Not the best quality. The girls came across well (when they were allowed to speak :rolleyes:) and apparently they have an album out in two weeks in America named after the TV show. :confused:
    Forum Member
    Was listening to Up and Work last night and thinking about the Sats in general while listening to those songs. Apologies for the mini-essay coming up:

Those two songs I mentioned earlier are really what The Saturdays do best - fun, catchy pop without being too cheesy. They also do ballads/mid-tempos quite well. I think the group really need to go back to their Chasing Lights sound (pure pop) and forget about trying to do the dance thing. It doesn't really work for them. They tried the dance pop thing with On Your Radar and that album flopped. Another Chasing Lights-style album would probably do quite well. They need to find a sound that suits them and stick to it . Look at Girls Aloud - they kinda had their own sound and it worked for them.

They really need to record a killer song that will become a breakthrough hit for them, will become No 1, stick around in the charts for weeks and recognisable as a Saturdays song to people even if they aren't fans of the group (a la Sugababes - Freak Like Me, Atomic Kitten - Whole Again, Rihanna - Umbrella) They need "the song" that will make their career.

They also need to promote their albums better. Instead of just releasing 3 random singles and moving on to the next album, they need to keep the album campaign going for a while, promote the hell out of it, release several singles and maybe even a TV show/movie to help promote the album. It worked for Katy Perry with Teenage Dream, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for The Saturdays. Teenage Dream defined Katy Perry's career and turned her into the international popstar she is now and most people would be able to recognise her songs even if they aren't fans of hers. Re-releasing TD also helped Katy's career. They messed up with Headlines. Instead of releasing it as a separate mini-album, they should have re-released Wordshaker and put the new songs on a separate disc like what Lady Gaga did with The Fame Monster or to use a more recent example Lana Del Rey with Born To Die: The Paradise Edition. It certainly would have boosted sales of Wordshaker.

The whole Wordshaker era was a complete disaster. They should never have released Forever Is Over as the lead single. It's a good song but the pop-rock style doesn't suit The Saturdays. I read somewhere that it was originally written for Kelly Clarkson and it would have suited her better. That logo they used on the Wordshaker album cover was awful and the whole era wasn't handled very well at all. They also mess up by releasing the wrong lead singles. Ego should have been released as the lead single from Wordshaker instead of Forever Is Over and Higher or Puppet should have been released from Headlines as the lead single instead of Missing You. And why was 30 Days released instead of another single from On Your Radar?

I also think they've messed up with the US single releases. What About Us is totally the wrong single to release as their American debut. And why did Sean Paul have to feature on it? His part adds nothing to the song. I really think Higher featuring Flo Rida should have been their US debut or even the motown version of Why Me, Why Now they sang on the work tour. In fact the motown version of Why Me, Why Now would have been a big hit and the Americans would've absolutely loved it. Why oh why did they mess it up completely? And now they're making the UK fans wait until March to buy What About Us, which is again completely stupid. They should've done what Cher Lloyd did and release one of their best singles in the US as their debut. I'm not a fan of Cher Lloyd but I will admit her releasing Want U Back as her US debut worked very well.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Saturdays but I think they need to get their act together if they want to stick around. I think their next album will be a make or break one for them. I reckon if it flops then that might be the beginning of the end for them :(
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdZVrUPvsa4

The Chelsea Lately interview. Not the best quality. The girls came across well (when they were allowed to speak :rolleyes:) and apparently they have an album out in two weeks in America named after the TV show. :confused:
    Mollie: "We Wanted E! more than anything" Chelsea: "Why?" The Sats: *awkward laughing* *no reply*

LMAO I CAN'T. But why is their album out so soon :( surely the label know what's most likely to happen :(...also I didn't like that the interviewer didn't even research The Saturdays ... "Did you audition to be in the group on the show?" -__-
    Forum Member
    Is the album named after the TV show a whole new album or just a compilation of random singles and album tracks?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa, an actual album? I know they've been working on an album for a while now so do we know if it'll be all new tracks? Cos I don't mind importing. But if it's the same album that's eventually gonna come out here then I guess I can wait.
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Whoa, an actual album? I know they've been working on an album for a while now so do we know if it'll be all new tracks? Cos I don't mind importing. But if it's the same album that's eventually gonna come out here then I guess I can wait.

Wouldn't importing be very expensive though? Do you have to pay customs or tax on imports? I guess we'll know more about the album when it comes out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think they should have released a few older hits in the States for their debut, they could have re-recorded Up to include everyone's vocals and promoted the hell outta that, and I think it would have done well, then released Ego and THEN release Higher, then release the album made up of their best album tracks and singles from the past 4 years.

Could have been something like this:
    1. Higher
    2. Ego
    3. Up
    4. Work
    5. Faster
    6. Lies
    7. Issues
    8. One Shot
    9. Puppet
    10. Get Ready, Get Set
    11. Keep Her
    12. 30 Days
    13. White Lies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't importing be very expensive though? Do you have to pay customs or tax on imports? I guess we'll know more about the album when it comes out.

I guess it depends on where you import it from, I imagine the best place to look would be ebay but I guess we can't know for sure until it comes out.
  • matty_andersonmatty_anderson Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems very rushed, I don't think this Album will feature all new material, They're not meant to be releasing a new full album until March so I assume this will feature their old singles for the american market?
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends on where you import it from, I imagine the best place to look would be ebay but I guess we can't know for sure until it comes out.

What about Amazon US? I don't trust Fleabay.
    Guys. She was joking about them releasing an Album called 'Chasing The Saturdays'. The girls new album isn't released until March and they're still putting finishing touches to it, She was having a joke about it being named after the TV show.

Or maybe it's official after all: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a450012/the-saturdays-confirm-debut-us-album-chasing-the-saturdays-video.html
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Chasing The Sats will be an EP with What About Us and UK singles
    Forum Member
    Chasing The Sats will be an EP with What About Us and UK singles

So nothing worth importing then? Think I'll just download What About Us when it gets released in the UK/Ireland. I hope the UK version of the song will be the Saturdays-only version and not the one with Sean Paul.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    So nothing worth importing then? Think I'll just download What About Us when it gets released in the UK/Ireland. I hope the UK version of the song will be the Saturdays-only version and not the one with Sean Paul.

I think it's bassicly an introduction to them for the US
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EP is only going to consist of 5 songs? Not really going to get them anywhere but oh well. I suppose this is just going to be something to keep U.S fans interested until they release the full album, though I do worry about promotion considering at that point Rochelle will be quite heavily pregnant.
    Seems as though What About Us was just a tester single to see if they could do it, I think we'll hear the "real" U.S. single closer to the album release.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish them well but I think What About Us is a dreadful song! I've always found The Saturdays a bit nondescript somehow. They all seem like lovely sweet girls with decent singing voices but their music just leaves me cold, on the whole, and, even after all this time, I still have a hard job remembering who is who in the group. I'd like to like them but, with a few exceptions (Up, Higher and 30 Days) I find their music just so dull and generic sounding. I think Up is one of the best pop songs ever and it's a shame they didn't make more like it. I don't mean just carbon copies of the same song, but ones of the same high standard and quality.

Anyway, I'll probably watch their tv show out of curiosity and I do wish them well.
    Forum Member
    The EP is only going to consist of 5 songs? Not really going to get them anywhere but oh well. I suppose this is just going to be something to keep U.S fans interested until they release the full album, though I do worry about promotion considering at that point Rochelle will be quite heavily pregnant.
    Seems as though What About Us was just a tester single to see if they could do it, I think we'll hear the "real" U.S. single closer to the album release.

That's not great. I think it was a buzz single to get their name known in the US, but I hope the real US single is one of their poppy songs rather than a brand new one. As I said in my essay above they need a breakthrough hit in both the US and UK markets. They need a Freak Like Me or Whole Again, i.e a song that becomes a massive hit.