Options

Only had an evening invite to friend's wedding, feeling sneaped

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
An old friend of ours who moved to live abroad is coming back home to get married shortly and I feel a bit sneaped because he came to our wedding and we paid for him and his fiancée which we didn't really know to spend all day at our wedding, the wedding breakfast and reception. However we've just had our invite through only to find we've only been given an invite for the evening reception and I don't know how to react to this after we've been so close and they came to our wedding and we paid for them both to have a 5 course meal and all we get is an invite to an evening buffet. We don't even get to see him get married.

How would you feel and would you bother going to the evening do or say sod him and forget the whole thing? I've found out that my friend who was my best man at my wedding has in fact been invited to the day do so I feel totally pushed out. I wouldn't have minded if it was a private family affair but it clearly isn't. After talking to my best mate he says there's other friends who have only just had an evening invite too and apparently it's not gone down too well.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People's financial circumstances are different, as well as their guest list priorities.

I think it would be a tad childish of you to not go to the reception just because he hasn't given you the same invite type that you sent to him.

Its a little like saying if he was your best man then you must be his- which is not how it works.

Maybe he and his fiancé are only inviting family to the day, or there is a restriction on numbers at the venue for the marriage.

Countless reasons why he's done it, as a close friend you should understand that there will likely be good reason.

Not trying to be horrible, am just being straight talking so please don't take offence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have a budget.

If your main concern, as seems to be, is
    we paid for them both to have a 5 course meal
    rather than you invited them to celebrate your special day with you then you probably shouldn't go to their "evening buffet".

To be honest, If I was bride or groom and got wind of this, I wouldn't want you anywhere near it at all.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only a wedding. They seem to cause more trouble than they solve. And anyway chances are they'll be divorced soon enough as now, it all seems to be about the grand occasion rather than anything else so I wouldn't bother going. Why put yourself out? It is a meaningless thing, marriage. And truly not something to 'celebrate'.:D
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be grateful to be invited to the evening doo. I think thats the fun bit where you can let your hair down and have a boogie.

I would love to go to a good wedding. I haven't been to one since my Uncle got married about 15yrs ago. Noone in my family seems to get married, they all live in sin ;-)
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    How lovely to be included in the evening invitations . Its their choice who they invite and its not based on who bought them a 5 course meal I am sure .
  • Options
    Amanda_OBrien2Amanda_OBrien2 Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    An old friend of ours who moved to live abroad is coming back home to get married shortly and I feel a bit sneaped because he came to our wedding and we paid for him and his fiancée which we didn't really know to spend all day at our wedding, the wedding breakfast and reception. However we've just had our invite through only to find we've only been given an invite for the evening reception and I don't know how to react to this after we've been so close and they came to our wedding and we paid for them both to have a 5 course meal and all we get is an invite to an evening buffet. We don't even get to see him get married.

How would you feel and would you bother going to the evening do or say sod him and forget the whole thing? I've found out that my friend who was my best man at my wedding has in fact been invited to the day do so I feel totally pushed out. I wouldn't have minded if it was a private family affair but it clearly isn't. After talking to my best mate he says there's other friends who have only just had an evening invite too and apparently it's not gone down too well.

Perhaps they don't have the kind of money you have to spend on everyone.

When I had my first child I decided to have my best friend and her husband as Godparents even though she never asked me to be bridesmaid at her wedding but she was mine. I didn't ask her so she would have me back it just doesn't work like that. When she was dying of terminal cancer I offered to help nurse her. She asked me why would I do that for her I replied because "I know you would do the same for me" ... I honestly didn't think she would have done the same for me but I felt I needed to help her in her hour of need. My advice would be to go and enjoy the wedding and stop moaning life is too short for all this bitterness.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    It's only a wedding. They seem to cause more trouble than they solve. And anyway chances are they'll be divorced soon enough as now, it all seems to be about the grand occasion rather than anything else so I wouldn't bother going. Why put yourself out? It is a meaningless thing, marriage. And truly not something to 'celebrate'.:D

Wow .,
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Be happy to have the invite for the evening do. It's their day and they have decided that they want you there. As others have said, they may be limited on numbers, be forced to invite great aunie Ethel and her live in companion Florence so there may not be enough room for everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There could be so many reasons they've not invited you to the rest of it, and they're all probably more influential than "i was invited to all of their wedding so they should be invited to all of mine".
    You say he moved abroad, so did he meet his future wife over there? Are they paying for her family to fly over here for the wedding? Because I imagine that's already an expense you didn't have. And also, moving abroad probably cut down on the money he had in the first place. Also, how big is the ceremony? From what you say, it sounds like you had a big wedding, but that doesn't mean they are. It could be family only. Also, by having a buffet is sounds as if they could be trying to save money anyway and so maybe they can't afford to invite everyone they wanted to to all of it.
    I don't really see what you're problem is. They've still invited you to be part of some of their big day. So either go or don't, but in all honesty it's you that's in the wrong if you don't, not them.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My colleague only invited me and another girl from the office to the wedding ceremony, meal and evening celebration whereas everyone else was invited to the evening party only. It's not because he likes his other colleagues less (in fact, he's great friends with all of them) but he just couldn't afford to invite everyone. They all understood, came to the evening event and had a great time. People's finances might prevent them for inviting all the people they want to invite.

I understand why you're upset though.

P.S. I just had an invite from someone to his son's birthday party. He never turned up to my daughter's party and didn't even bother to respond to the invitation. Now that's a whole other story and I'm contemplating whether to "be the better person" or the "monster I really am". :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I would be grateful to be invited to the evening doo. I think thats the fun bit where you can let your hair down and have a boogie.

I would love to go to a good wedding. I haven't been to one since my Uncle got married about 15yrs ago. Noone in my family seems to get married, they all live in sin ;-)

I can't let my hair down as the evening reception is about 25 miles away so ill have to drive and the venue doesn't have on site accommodation. I was more interested in seeing him get married and hear him make his speeches than attending the evening do. Besides we'd need a baby sitter too as it doesn't start until 7.30. The bit I really wanted to attend we haven't been asked and I think it's rude as both he and his missus came to ours and saw us get hitched. Wish I'd not bothered now and invited someone else instead. It's clear he thinks less about us than he does of others.

Fair enough if it's limited to family only or close family friends but when his best mate doesn't even get invited and you find out that he's invited a lad who he hardly has anything to do with then it really rubs salt in the wounds.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guess he only went to yours for a slap up meal and likes "a lad who he hardly has anything to do with" way more than you!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wowwwww I cannot believe how spiteful someone can be because they didnt get an invite to a wedding!!!
    I have absolutely no doubt that if you REALLY want to see him get hitched then there will be space at the church, just dont expect to be going to the reception where they have obviously decided that they only want their REAL friends, not the ones that bitch about them behind their backs..
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When people start grading their friends into A, B and C listers with different tiers of invite for the the day it can be quite insulting.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela be the bigger person:-) I know how you feel, my in laws, and six other members of my hubby's family, including the best man didn't bother turning up at our night do despite us expecting them. I was rather annoyed at the time but just let it go.

Op how often have you seen your friend since he went to live abroad and how often have you kept in touch?
    If you haven't been to see him and have not been in regular contact (as in often), then would you still class yourself as a close friend or more of an old out of touch friend?

We had 40 guests at our wedding( both of us had been married before), we only had those who were a big part of our lives and we had lots of contact with. It was a very intimate wedding and far more meaningful to us than our first marriages when every Tom dick and harry came out of the woodwork

If you are a true friend you should let's this go and be very happy with the evening invite. Go and let your hair down!
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said you don't know exactly what the circumstances are behind it.

I have a very big extended family so most weddings result in the oldest from every family getting invited all day and the rest go to the evening reception (so I always miss out though hopefully the next one I won't)

It could just be something as small as the venue being small, when my brother got married the chapel only held 90 people so he was restricted to that.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Fair enough if it's limited to family only or close family friends but when his best mate doesn't even get invited and you find out that he's invited a lad who he hardly has anything to do with then it really rubs salt in the wounds.
    If he's your best mate, get him down the pub and have it out with him in the way that best mates can without it becoming a major split. You're not girls, it doesn't have to end up in a tearful hug.

Others have already given you the answer - weddings are a big expense for some; the venue may not have space for all guests and it just might be that he does actually see you a B-list mate. Best thing is to ask him.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bit I really wanted to attend we haven't been asked and I think it's rude as both he and his missus came to ours and saw us get hitched. Wish I'd not bothered now and invited someone else instead. It's clear he thinks less about us than he does of others.

You sound a bit petulant. Generally in life, we do things because they mean something to us at the time. What we do doesn't necessarily have the same significance to others. But that shouldn't matter because we can't make personal life all about checks and balances. Just because you invited your friend and his little-known OH to your wedding does not mean that he must reciprocate. Nice if he does but if he doesn't then it's not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. He doesn't owe you a 5-course meal. You didn't invite him to yours in the expectation of a return match.

However. Personal opinion: the evening part of a wedding celebration is difficult to get right for those arriving after the main wedding party have been to service, reception and probably a meal. The all-dayers are well settled into their groups and are usually pretty... mellow. :D There are a lot of in-jokes / references about the earlier events going on. A group of sober newcomers trying to integrate with the daytime group and fast-track themselves into the spirit of the occasion can find it difficult and often, I used to notice, the bride and groom weren't even interested in personally greeting or acknowledging the evening arrivals.

So we generally refused the evening invitations - politely! - and got them a gift. Because if you're invited to any part of a wedding you're presumably close enough to the couple to at least gift them a wedding present even if it's a small thing - a picture frame or JL token or whatever.

But life's too short to be petulant about a wedding invitation. Or the lack of one. Imo.

ps: Perhaps his wife doesn't like you and she vetoed your invite? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    If he's your best mate, get him down the pub and have it out with him in the way that best mates can without it becoming a major split. You're not girls, it doesn't have to end up in a tearful hug.

Others have already given you the answer - weddings are a big expense for some; the venue may not have space for all guests and it just might be that he does actually see you a B-list mate. Best thing is to ask him.

Well I had family who I hardly ever see to speak to who I didn't invite because I wanted my friends to be at my wedding. It would appear his excuse was because he has a big family and can't invite everyone. No just those friends who he chooses are more important to him (not us obviously) and probably a load of people he's never seen or spoken to since the last family funeral.

Just goes to prove how much he values our friendship.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

Didn't work out so well for you eh?
  • Options
    fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son never invited any of my family other than his brother, wife and kids to his wedding. He and his wife halved the amount of wedding guests they could have, she invited her family and he invited his mates. One of her friends had exactly the same issue as you in that she was only invited to the evening so made it plain she would not come at all, they are no longer friends. Is it really such a big issue?

My best mates daughter invited us to her wedding and it cost us a fortune, new clothes, accomodation etc, her son had a small wedding and never invited us, I was grateful not to have the expense. I gave them both exactly the same ammount of money as a gift.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    I understand why the OP is upset but these things are never easy to sort out.

No doubt he actually would rather have you at the wedding rather than a ton of the people he's had to invite, but for family reasons, keeping the peace or whatever he's had to do something else.

I'd go along, in short. I've been in the B team many a time. You can't take it personally, there's a million reasons why they might have had to do something else.

Having said that, if you're incredibly upset about the whole thing you may be better to make an excuse and not go rather than decide to have a few words after a few too many drinks...
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I had family who I hardly ever see to speak to who I didn't invite because I wanted my friends to be at my wedding. It would appear his excuse was because he has a big family and can't invite everyone. No just those friends who he chooses are more important to him (not us obviously) and probably a load of people he's never seen or spoken to since the last family funeral.

Just goes to prove how much he values our friendship.

My best mate is getting wed. All my friends thought I'd be bridesmaid. She chose a friend she's known since childhood, and two cousins she doesn't see. She's done it that way because if she picked me, it'd be like picking through friends and applying labels-a sure fire way to kill friendships!

I've been invited to the ceremony, but it's just me. She's known my partner longer but he won't be invited until the evening doo. She's doing it to cut costs without alienating family. She's being ruthless with cutting people.

Would I do that? No, but then it's not my wedding. I'd sooner be part of my friends day than have nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I can see your point more when you said that youd like to see the actual ceremony and the speeches rather than attend what would be just another party.

Are they getting married in a church? If they are you can just turn up to watch that bit and then give the evening a miss if youre not into that kind of thing.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    My best mate is getting wed. All my friends thought I'd be bridesmaid. She chose a friend she's known since childhood, and two cousins she doesn't see. She's done it that way because if she picked me, it'd be like picking through friends and applying labels-a sure fire way to kill friendships!

I've been invited to the ceremony, but it's just me. She's known my partner longer but he won't be invited until the evening doo. She's doing it to cut costs without alienating family. She's being ruthless with cutting people.

Would I do that? No, but then it's not my wedding. I'd sooner be part of my friends day than have nothing to do with it.

I'll never understand how people can go on about cost cutting, and then go on to have 3 bridesmaids. What is this obsession with multiple bridesmaids and groomsmen?