Sky Living drops Supernatural (and Cougar Town)

2»

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well that means I will have to watch Supernatural by other means and I guess that the new spin off show will properly never be shown over here either!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cougar town will be a good fit for Comedy central, especially highlighting the fact Miss Cox is the lead, so fans of friends (which is already shown on there) will check it out.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cougar town will be a good fit for Comedy central, especially highlighting the fact Miss Cox is the lead, so fans of friends (which is already shown on there) will check it out.

Good point - I could actually see that happening as well.

I've just flown back from the states with my Supernatural Season 9 episodes to date that I clearly purchased totally legally .. *COUGH*
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    I was very surprised when I heard about this as Supernatural rated well for Sky Living despite some episodes of the last season being burned off at 23:00.

Most episodes that went out at 22:00 had audiences in excess of 400,000 which is decent for a pay TV network.

Full UK Ratings for Season 8
    Ep1 [22:00]: 493k
    Ep2 [23:00]: 463k
    Ep3 [22:00]: 470k
    Ep4 [23:00]: 391k
    Ep5 [22:00]: 392k
    Ep6 [23:00]: 337k
    Ep7 [22:00]: 413k
    Ep8 [23:00]: 357k
    Ep9 [22:00]: 424k
    Ep10 [23:00]: 372k
    Ep11 [22:00]: 357k
    Ep12 [23:00]: 345k
    Ep13 [22:00]: 469k
    Ep14 [23:00]: 438k
    Ep15 [22:00]: 398k
    Ep16 [23:00]: 390k
    Ep17 [22:00]: 378k
    Ep18 [23:00]: 299k
    Ep19 [22:00]: 467k
    Ep20 [23:00]: 417k
    Ep21 [22:00]: 428k
    Ep22 [23:00]: 378k
    Ep23 [22:00]: 346k
    source: www.barb.co.uk

OK so a bit erratic, but clearly those episodes at 23:00 did not help maintain any consistency. I would look at those numbers and conclude it has a loyal and sizeable fanbase that can rightly feel wronged by Sky.

IMO there's an above average chance of another channel picking up Supernatural, assuming the cost is not too prohibitive. It might go unsold for a while until the price drops, though.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I was very surprised when I heard about this as Supernatural rated well for Sky Living despite some episodes of the last season being burned off at 23:00.

Most episodes that went out at 22:00 had audiences in excess of 400,000 which is decent for a pay TV network.

Full UK Ratings for Season 8
    Ep1 [22:00]: 493k
    Ep2 [23:00]: 463k
    Ep3 [22:00]: 470k
    Ep4 [23:00]: 391k
    Ep5 [22:00]: 392k
    Ep6 [23:00]: 337k
    Ep7 [22:00]: 413k
    Ep8 [23:00]: 357k
    Ep9 [22:00]: 424k
    Ep10 [23:00]: 372k
    Ep11 [22:00]: 357k
    Ep12 [23:00]: 345k
    Ep13 [22:00]: 469k
    Ep14 [23:00]: 438k
    Ep15 [22:00]: 398k
    Ep16 [23:00]: 390k
    Ep17 [22:00]: 378k
    Ep18 [23:00]: 299k
    Ep19 [22:00]: 467k
    Ep20 [23:00]: 417k
    Ep21 [22:00]: 428k
    Ep22 [23:00]: 378k
    Ep23 [22:00]: 346k
    source: www.barb.co.uk

OK so a bit erratic, but clearly those episodes at 23:00 did not help maintain any consistency. I would look at those numbers and conclude it has a loyal and sizeable fanbase that can rightly feel wronged by Sky.

IMO there's an above average chance of another channel picking up Supernatural, assuming the cost is not too prohibitive. It might go unsold for a while until the price drops, though.

I've never really thought about the viewing figures to be honest, don't really know what I expected them to be, but I'm pleasantly suprised by those. If they put it on at 9 instead, those figures would most likely rise as well. Makes their decision to drop it even more silly. I could understand if it was the 2nd or 3rd season of a show and it didn't seem like it was really picking up a fan base, but to drop an established show that's in it's 9th season is quite ridiculous for me.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We tried a free trial of unblock us. Couldn't get anything to work via it!

You need to set up your DNS via your adaptar settings on your computer or you can set up your DNS on your router if you prefer, only some routers allow this full instructions are on Unblock-us here http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/ also make sure to change the region on unblocks homepage to the region you want.
    If all else fails give Unotelly a try they are very good too and offer a 8 day free trial.
  • wowboywowboy Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hazard a guess ITV2, Watch and SYFY maybe interested in supernatural.

Possibly really or lesser so e4. If you show it one day behind US etc it will bring in huge audiences, sky never cared for it much.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point - I could actually see that happening as well.

I've just flown back from the states with my Supernatural Season 9 episodes to date that I clearly purchased totally legally .. *COUGH*

Well people piss and moan about illegal downloading but it's no wonder why people do it when there seems to be a continuing rise of television series being dropped at the moment. I say bravo to them. I do it too.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supernatural is one of the best shows on US TV.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah if only Fox would pick it up they usually treat shows right well most of the time and it could replace the endless repeats of NCIS :p

Or maybe Syfy they may treat it right as well
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After looking at those ratings I don't understand why Sky dropped this, the only thing I could think of is The CW are asking for too much money because those are decent ratings for Sky Living. Imagine how even higher those ratings could be if they had aired ti closer to US transmission.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I am so so gutted that i cant even believe it. Its my fave tv show and ive been counting down till i could watch series 9. I dont know what im going to do now. I cant/dont illegally download and its going to be forever till it comes out on dvd. Soooo sad. >:(:(
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    This is why i download all American shows. It's bad enough how some are never show , others air months if not years behind. Other than having a few hundred quid to buy all the overpriced box sets what is the other option
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the CW must have asked for too much money - they've renewed it for Season 10 already and maybe they need to up the international syndication costs to cover that?

Anyway, just watched Episode 1 and it's a good start ;)
  • midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well people piss and moan about illegal downloading but it's no wonder why people do it when there seems to be a continuing rise of television series being dropped at the moment. I say bravo to them. I do it too.

Not taking either side but it could be argued that its due to illegal downloading causing a reduction in viewing figures that networks are dropping shows
    natalie77 wrote: »
    The stupid thing is that Living probably will cite poor ratings as the reason for dropping it totally not realising that the reason it had lower ratings is due to them holding it back for so long to show each season meaning a lot of fans watched it 'elsewhere' >:(

When Sky showed Glee the day after the States, the viewers complained about all the breaks due to the hiatuses in the US schedule. They can't win. If they put it on straight away, viewers complain. If they hold back until they can air a straight run, viewers complain it's too long to wait and they will download it instead....
  • natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When Sky showed Glee the day after the States, the viewers complained about all the breaks due to the hiatuses in the US schedule. They can't win. If they put it on straight away, viewers complain. If they hold back until they can air a straight run, viewers complain it's too long to wait and they will download it instead....

Yeah but there's holding back on showing it and then there's leaving it over 3/4 months after it's finished airing in the US which Living did with Supernatural these past few years I have no problem waiting till Jan/February for some shows but waiting till July/August is abit ridiculous >:(
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,192
    Forum Member
    With Supernatural it's weird they canned it now they stuck with it during the crap of series 6/7. I guess it joins Teen Wolf in the shows I watch online. Good job I've never watched Arrow it'll probably go next
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't say that about Arrow :)

I'd be banging down Murdoch's front door to complain if they ever dropped that ..
  • The quizmasterThe quizmaster Posts: 93,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is disgusting and outrageous >:( What do we pay an entertainment package for? :o
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good. they were shocking with it anyway
  • Mickwall68Mickwall68 Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Gutted. Just gutted.
  • steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to download but last August with so many sites being blocked by ISP's, decided to get Sky fitted, after a bit of research it seemed that the only show that we were downloading that wasn't attached to a UK Broadcaster was Parenthood, so we went ahead with the thinking that we were still going to see all the other programmes that we had been previously watching.

We got multiroom fitted as previously the torrent downloads we could watch on both the living room and bedroom TVs as both had DLNA and an ethernet connection.

I was under no illusion that the UK networks have heart attacks when it comes to showing stuff at the US pace, due to the people that grump about the various breaks/weeks where there is no new episode, so had come to accept to go "legit" we would have to now wait a couple of months later for new seasons of US stuff to appear.

However i really didn't appreciate just how badly the UK networks can treat US/overseas shows, the other half watches Parenthood that we already knew that 5 had dropped, but she also watched a Canadian show called Heartland, that E4 was showing, but hasn't been in their schedule since we got Sky fitted, the likes of American Dad is a whole season behind on FOX and the likes of Scandal and CSI are nearly finished their season in the States, yet we are still waiting for episode 1, yet alone just being a couple of months behind.

Then coming onto Digital Spy and going into the US Shows and Cult forums, seeing new shows that have no UK broadcaster pick up, such as Salem, Crisis, The 100, Chicago PD, the latter is a real head scratcher, after watching the latest episode of Chicago Fire on Sky Living, you just couldn't help feeling that you were watching a incomplete story with part of it having already been told on Chicago PD.

I have to admit i like the Sky On Demand which downloads to the box, as that means for users like myself who only get a 3.5mb speed, there is no fear of any buffering, but recently i've found shows that don't randomly appear on it, as in one week the latest episode never appears, but last weeks and the weeks after does, i've seen it with quite a few shows, while others appear days after broadcast, of which they are only available for 7 days that by the time they appear only gives a couple of days to then watch them.

My partner has lost her job due to the shop she worked in closing, so between only living on one wage (my job is only a 38 week contract as well!) and the likes of working tax credit always wanting to work on last years figures, money is very tight and we are looking at having to get rid of Sky once our 12 months are up.

I have liked the idea of going "legit", the box downloading on demand stuff rather than streaming, but hate the way the US and Overseas shows are treated, with many not just being months behind, but seasons and often just not shown at all, one example was how long the 1st season of Revenge took to get shown in the UK even though it was getting good ratings in the US, another example was a Australian show called City Homicide, that was pretty decent, but to my knowledge never got a UK pick up.

Just seems incredible with the amount of UK channels there are that the likes of Chicago PD, Supernatural and Parenthood are left on the scrap heap.

What ever you think about downloading/torrents, i can totally see why people do it, from a personal perspective, i just wish there was a paid option to watch US stuff bang on its air date, such as a UK version of Hulu or a premium add on for the likes of Netflix.

I was using a Private site before Sky was fitted and the one thing i started to notice was that there seem to be less people downloading so it was starting effect share ratios, i also noticed recently in this sites forum someone complaining about the same thing and it would seem these power users are now using something called a seedbox that downloads stuff quicker but then makes it harder for us users who don't have fibre and a slower ADSL2+ connection to seed/share after finishing downloading.

It does make me laugh though when these various organisations go to court to shut down websites when in many cases there still isn't a viable option to get the material being downloaded at a reasonable cost, without watching a Xmas episode in the middle of April in the sunshine, let alone if what you are downloading even gets a UK broadcast!

Sorry for the long post!