Who was your first Football hero?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
for me either Michael Ricketts or Dean Holdsworth , when i first started watching Bolton they were the first two i remember watching.

Comments

• TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Michael Owen was my first. I just started following football around the time Owen burst on the scene. I was too young to appreciate Fowler. He'd have ended up being my first hero if I was born a few years earlier. If you just start following football and you have someone like that playing for your team, it's going to have an effect on you.

In school we'd have this "world book day", where you dress as your favourite character from a book. I just came in with my Michael Owen Liverpool kit and brought a matchday programme with Owen in it. :p
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Hughes.
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barnes.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    Kenny Dalglish.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Owen.

I was only 8 when he scored that brace against Arsenal in the FA Cup final. Magical moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Gazza
  • Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Eric.
  • Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    For me as a Bradford City fan it had to be Stuart McCall . Even though I didn't start going to Valley Parade until the season after McCall left for Everton he still remained one of my footballing heroes and I was delighted when he returned to VP at the start of the 98/99 season where he captained the club to promotion to the premier league.

The first world cup that I can remember is Italia 90 so I also Idolised Gary Lineker and Gazza around that time.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably Gazza or Ryan Giggs..both so telented and great to watch, couldn't help but try to emulate them at school
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Peter lorimer / bobby Charlton
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Duncan McKenzie...was magic !

Bobby Latchford...he walked on water.
    Forum Member
    Duncan McKenzie...was magic !

Bobby Latchford...he walked on water.

Do you remember Duncan Mackenzie jumping over a mini before a game when he was at Leeds On pitch Before a game , imagine that happening now
    Great player agree
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Do you remember Duncan Mackenzie jumping over a mini before a game when he was at Leeds On pitch Before a game , imagine that happening now
    Great player agree

Yes I remember that, and that he could throw a golf ball the full length of a pitch before it bounced...and that he smoked 20 cigi's a day, haha.

I was gutted when the screaming skull ( Gordon Lee ) flogged him to Chelsea ( I think )
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first World Cup was 1986 so Gary Lineker

As a Notts fan, my first hero was probably Craig Short who captained us for our Wembley win against Tranmere in 1990
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Peter lorimer / bobby Charlton

Peter Lorimer was a fantastic player, he had the hardest shot known to man ! The way he struck a ball with such venom and precision was stunning to witness, could look after himself too !
  • skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    bryan robson
    Forum Member
    Yes I remember that, and that he could throw a golf ball the full length of a pitch before it bounced...and that he smoked 20 cigi's a day, haha.

I was gutted when the screaming skull ( Gordon Lee ) flogged him to Chelsea ( I think )

He had a bad time at Leeds , wasn't his fault it was a clough hangover (not literary ) and he didn't get on with (jimmy ) armfield who was old school expected standards
    still think his treatment over his axing 24 hours before tbe 1975 European cup
    Final was badly handled , he says in his autobiography " fancy dan" that he Nevef forgiven armfield for that , IMO he would have befb better option than terry yorath
    His Leeds career was over after that night too
    Went to anderlect , but when he came on
    Pitch in 80s at halftime at Blackburn he got a brilliant reception
    Which am very glad he did
    Btw did you know that BIlly Bremner last apparraene was doing an after dinner
    Speaker at Everton , whete he was employed in
    Some capacity , he was taken ill on Friday and sadly passed away on Sunday
    I have the interview on VHS on
    The short lived (very ) live TV
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian St John
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Captain Marvel 'Robbo'
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Golden Boy Kerry Dixon
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    Probably one of 3, Eric Cantona, Peter Schmeichel or Ryan Giggs will be a sad day when he probably retires at the end of the season, wanted him to get to 1,000 appearances for United.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would have to be from the 66 World Cup team. Geoff Hurst I suppose.

As an Arsenal fan, Charlie George.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone wanted to be either Charlie George or Peter Bonetti when I was a kid.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Jairzinho
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bryan Robson and Zico at the Espana '82 World Cup