Films you can't watch for certain personal reasons

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
I was reminded of this when reading that The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is coming to blu ray.

I can never watch it...let me explain...

Way back in the late 60's when I was around 10 years old or so, I think I had seen a poster somewhere for the movie on a fdouble bill with Funeral In Berlin, and thought the films looked very exciting and so persuaded my mother to take me to see them.

So my mother decided to make a day out of it and take all of us kids (4 in the family, 2 brothers and 2 sisters, of similar ages). So off we trotted to the Futurist cinema in Liverpool to watch the movies.

Of course, if you know the movies you know how ill-advised the whole venture was...a couple of downbeat, realistic cold-war thrillers, and a bunch of very young children expecting Bond-style action and mayhem.

So...I remember getting bored, we were restless, running around the cinema, probably annoying the hell out of the other poor patrons.

I remember deciding to wander round the cinema, and found an exit corridor and wandered up the stairs...got to the exit door and opened it, saw I was at street level so closed the door and came back down. But...I was then greeted by an 'usher' (who remembers them?) coming up the stairs who proceeded to throw me out, assuming I had obviously 'bunked in', Would not listen to my protests, so I went round to the front of the cinema, tried to explain to the box office, my mum was inside, had my ticket etc, but was pretty much told to go away.

So there I sat on the steps of the cinema, feeling pretty hacked off, and then one of my sisters came running out and asked if I had seen two women leave recently...because apparently they had dipped my mums handbag and stole her purse. I had seen two women leave a little while before, so we ran down towards Lime Street station to see is we could find them...no luck.

So..my mum had been robbed, apparently they leaned over and asked for a light for their cigarette, and at the same time dipped her bag which was on the seat.

We had to travel home on the bus, and my mum had to beg the bus driver to let us travel and take name and address etc to pay later, he was not too helpful apparently so she just piled us on the bus and said F U I need to get my family home, and had a massive argument with him...Matriarchal, stern,, formidable Irish mum...you don't mess with them!

So eventually we got home.

But to this day, I still cannot bring myself to watch that film, as much as I know it's a classic.

Any similar experiences?

Comments

• yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I went to see a film called "Doc" - a western - at the ABC Cinema in the Old Kent Road. I was 10 years old at the time and feeling pleased with myself as this film had an AA certificate. You had to be 14 years old to get in to see this. If I remember rightly it was Stacy Keach playing the lead role of Doc Holliday.

Anyway..there I was sitting in the front row in a fairly uncrowded cinema and some old guy sat down beside me. He offered me money if I would let him "feel me up". I declined. He then made a grab at me. It was a struggle to get free. I got out of my seat fast, ran for the main foyer and told one of the staff. He got a few of his colleagues and headed into the cinema with me in tow. Of course the old pervert was gone. I assume he had headed out of the exit or had just moved seats. It would have been hard to pick him out in a darkened cinema.

The film "Doc" was not exactly a blockbuster and, to the best of my knowledge, has not been on TV in many a year if at all. If it was I cannot imagine I could stomach watching it.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was reminded of this when reading that The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is coming to blu ray.

Way back in the late 60's when I was around 10 years old or so, I think I had seen a poster somewhere for the movie on a fdouble bill with Funeral In Berlin, and thought the films looked very exciting and so persuaded my mother to take me to see them.

So my mother decided to make a day out of it and take all of us kids (4 in the family, 2 brothers and 2 sisters, of similar ages). So off we trotted to the Futurist cinema in Liverpool to watch the movies.

Of course, if you know the movies you know how ill-advised the whole venture was...a couple of downbeat, realistic cold-war thrillers, and a bunch of very young children expecting Bond-style action and mayhem.

So...I remember getting bored, we were restless, running around the cinema, probably annoying the hell out of the other poor patrons.

I remember deciding to wander round the cinema, and found an exit corridor and wandered up the stairs...got to the exit door and opened it, saw I was at street level so closed the door and came back down. But...I was then greeted by an 'usher' (who remembers them?) coming up the stairs who proceeded to throw me out, assuming I had obviously 'bunked in', Would not listen to my protests, so I went round to the front of the cinema, tried to explain to the box office, my mum was inside, had my ticket etc, but was pretty much told to go away.

So there I sat on the steps of the cinema, feeling pretty hacked off, and then one of my sisters came running out and asked if I had seen two women leave recently...because apparently they had dipped my mums handbag and stole her purse. I had seen two women leave a little while before, so we ran down towards Lime Street station to see is we could find them...no luck.

So..my mum had been robbed, apparently they leaned over and asked for a light for their cigarette, and at the same time dipped her bag which was on the seat.

We had to travel home on the bus, and my mum had to beg the bus driver to let us travel and take name and address etc to pay later, he was not too helpful apparently so she just piled us on the bus and said F U I need to get my family home, and had a massive argument with him...Matriarchal, stern,, formidable Irish mum...you don't mess with them!

So eventually we got home.

But to this day, I still cannot bring myself to watch that film, as much as I know it's a classic.

Any similar experiences?

Good on your Mum. What a woman. I do not want to watch 'The Hole' with Thora Birch and Keira Knightley. One it was a crap film and two I watched it with an old friend who I do not speak to anymore.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legends of the Fall.

My father and I rented the video when it first came out. On the night we were watching it, my mother was pissed off that we were hogging the living room with a film, so she went through to the kitchen to listen to the radio. I barely saw her that evening.

She died suddenly the next day.

That was almost 20 years ago, and still I avoid that film. There's a certain amount of guilt that my mother's last evening was devoted to it instead of her, but of course we weren't to know. Oh well...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legends of the Fall.

My father and I rented the video when it first came out. On the night we were watching it, my mother was pissed off that we were hogging the living room with a film, so she went through to the kitchen to listen to the radio. I barely saw her that evening.

That was almost 20 years ago, and still I avoid that film. There's a certain amount of guilt that my mother's last evening was devoted to it instead of her, but of course we weren't to know. Oh well...

I used to feel like that when my Auntie died. I remember she went to take me to see California Man, Home Alone and Jurassic Park. The latter, was in the same year she had a massive stroke the following Winter. She was alive for a few years after that but then deteriorated and then passed away. Thankfully, I now look at those films as just good memories.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Mary Poppins. It was Xmas Day when Andrew sat on my amazing hamster, Hamratty!

Poor thing... A spoonful of sugar my arse!!!
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

Fantastic post, Ted. This sort of thing always stays with you, as it were.

More family matters:

Not sure about can't watch, but Gandhi draws a wistful pang. Went to see it on release with Mum and Grandad. Very special for him as he hadn't been to the cinema in well over twenty years. He was a history buff and was keen to see it as he knew a lot (in the way our elders used to) about the man himself and the period of history involved. He loved the film - as did Mum - though I think just the trip itself was as much a pleasure. I was a bit too young to fully appreciate it, but I knew well enough to be enthused and grateful. Ice cream, Kia-ora, happily daydreaming through it in the warm, fuzzy Odeon aura. Mum and Grandad both no longer around sadly.

Also: Shrek. F*cking Shrek. After Brother-in-law bailed out (the yellow belly), I agreed to take sister and four kids (offspring & friends) out to the cinema at the retail park for the afternoon showing. But first, a trip to Toys R Us (noisy enough), followed by lunch at Pizza Hut (heaving, bedlam), then the film itself. Which, of course, was packed to the rafters with over-excited tots who showed great stamina in never once shutting up. The headache I had by the end made my eyes blur and I missed work the next day after doping myself up on that many painkillers the previous evening. F*cking Shrek. Never again. :mad:
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legends of the Fall.

I know what you mean same goes for the Quiet Man starring John Wayne. It was the last film my father watched before he died suddenly the next day. I always get choked up even talking about it.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Adventures of Robin Hood, a Errol Flynn film.

I was around seven when I was trying to watch that on TV while my parents tried to get me to choose who I would like to live with.

I didn't mind them divorcing as they were already leading separate lives, but I did mind them badgering me with ridiculous promises like "I'll buy you a horse" (I didn't even like horses), and utterly inane questions like "Who do you love most?" They finally gave up when I was still refusing to choose, which I managed by watching Robin Hood stubbornly.

It was a shitty thing for them to do, but both deeply regretted it and have apologised years later. But yeah, I still can't watch the film - or any Robin Hood film - without remembering that uncharacteristic lapse in my parents' sanity. :D:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I can't watch The ring. I was like 10 I think and the film was on television and my mother let me watch it. Her worst mistake ever, I slept at my sisters room that night because I was to scared to sleep alone. Had nightmares for months after that. I don't think I will find it very scary anymore now but just to affraid to watch it. I think I have a trauma
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I was going to say that Eminem film because I don't like rap but it's not really going with the thread vibe...:o
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that I can't watch it per se, but Titanic, as it was the last film my granny ever saw at the cinema with me and my mum, in 1998 (She died in 2001). I saw it again last year in 3D-twice-and it reminded me of her. Awesome film.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I can't watch Dead Poets Society anymore.

Me and a friend of mine absolutely loved that film, and it helped me cope with the death of our mutual best friend. I stopped being able to watch it to the end when I was by myself, then I stopped being able to watch it at all when I was by myself. Me and that friend have since stopped speaking, so now all I think of when I hear of that film or catch glimpses of it is the friend who passed away and the friend I no longer speak to.

On a more lighter note... When the Incredibles came out, I got some good natured ribbing from my whole class for looking a lot like Edna that went on for so long I stopped finding it funny. I didn't see the film then when it came out, and I still don't want to now many years later, because even looking at the character winds me up!
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anaconda films. Get scared a snake,especially a anaconda is gonna sliver up to my bed and eat me. I shiver at the thoughts of snakes and sharks biting their fangs/teeth into me.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi.

I've never seen it all the way through because, believe it or not, on the three occasions I've tried, I've been interrupted by telephone calls bringing bad news. On the last occasion, it was to tell me my father had died.

I'll not be trying to watch it again...
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    Any film with a graphic rape scene. I just don't have the stomach for it.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason I wouldn't watch a film is if I thought I wouldn't like it. Not because of 'personal reasons'.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my way to the west end to see West Side Story (a long time ago but you didn't say it was time limited), with my girl friend, we were on Wimbledon station and a man killed himself by jumping in front of a train. He was a solicitor or so it said in the paper report. Anyway I just saw his dead bloody body the whole way through the film. And it's not just the film - I see it whenever I hear any of the songs or music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    i cant bring myself to watch titanic

i had a remote controlled boat when i was little and crashed it into the wall of the opposite riverbank and it sank .

i loved that boat !!
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    shades1 wrote: »
    i cant bring myself to watch titanic

i had a remote controlled boat when i was little and crashed it into the wall of the opposite riverbank and it sank .

i loved that boat !!

I had a wind-up U-boat. Every time I had a bath, I would blow up Allied shipping. Then my cousin broke it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anaconda films. Get scared a snake,especially a anaconda is gonna sliver up to my bed and eat me. I shiver at the thoughts of snakes and sharks biting their fangs/teeth into me.

I get a shiver up my spine when I think of Arachnophobia. I think that a spider my come into my bed covers at night.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Demi_R wrote: »
    I can't watch The ring. I was like 10 I think and the film was on television and my mother let me watch it. Her worst mistake ever, I slept at my sisters room that night because I was to scared to sleep alone. Had nightmares for months after that. I don't think I will find it very scary anymore now but just to affraid to watch it. I think I have a trauma
    Poltergeist had a similar effect on me for a long time. The worst thing was we had a walk-in cupboard in the bedroom I shared with my brother. For weeks afterwards all I could think of when trying to sleep in that room was a great big rotting skull with glowing eyes.

Didn't help that we had a great big sodding oak tree outside the window either :(
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Buster. My train driver grandfather told us the story of Great Train Robbery victim Jack Mills back in the 70s. They tried to turn this vicious robbery into a light-hearted love story. It turned my stomach.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Veronica Guerin' - because I knew her...briefly. I also hate 'When The Sky Falls' and when she's physically attacked in the movie. Unwatchable.