PS4 HDD upgrades - new info

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anime_Fan wrote: »
    PS4 pre-order cancelled until there is further clarification on this issue on what exactly these silly mandatory installs are are how they work!

:D....:rolleyes:
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    What gets me in all of this is yes you can delete and re-install as and when necessary however I dont know how many of you are like me sit there and think 'you know what, I fancy a quick blast on so and so' so you bung the disc in and start playing.

If it takes ages to install data like it does now (GT5 anyone? Before the mandatory updates takes about an hour to install 10 gig) then by the time its done and patched you'll have lost interest.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    What gets me in all of this is yes you can delete and re-install as and when necessary however I dont know how many of you are like me sit there and think 'you know what, I fancy a quick blast on so and so' so you bung the disc in and start playing.

If it takes ages to install data like it does now (GT5 anyone? Before the mandatory updates takes about an hour to install 10 gig) then by the time its done and patched you'll have lost interest.

From what I've read Knack is playable within ten seconds of inserting the disc. So it would seem installs have been improved massively.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anime_Fan wrote: »
    PS4 pre-order cancelled until there is further clarification on this issue on what exactly these silly mandatory installs are are how they work!

jwball wrote: »
    From what I've read Knack is playable within ten seconds of inserting the disc. So it would seem installs have been improved massively.

The Blu-ray drive is a lot faster and PS4 games can install as you are playing, as mentioned knack which requires a 37GB install only takes 10 seconds to start playing from when you insert the disc.

Optical drives just aren't fast enough and the latency is to slow for the size of games this generation.
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can start play Knack in tens of seconds.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member

Im the same, I fairly often will throw in a game just to take up a bit of free time I have.

For instance a bit earlier on I had half hour to waste before I had an opticians appointment so I decided to have a bit of fun on Soul Calibur 3 on my PS2 to take up the time.

I do stuff like that fairly often.
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    You can start play Knack in tens of seconds.
    I saw something a week or so ago which suggested that Killzone required 7gb to install before it was playable & that's likely going to take a while to install.

Thats the sort of thing that wouldn't be ideal IF that needed to occur whenever you put the disc in having had to remove data to make space for another game.

At least on the PS4 we can upgrade the internal drive though, I'll be getting the largest compatible drive as soon as I can afford it (Early next year probably) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I remember reading yesterday that Killzone is playable in under three minutes of inserting the disc first time.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/seagate-samsung-hdd-spinpoint-m9t,24997.html

Looks like we have a good candidate for a 9.5mm, 2tb HDD :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the one I would ideally like. Probably cost around £120 I'm guessing, and sounds like it may only ship as an external drive ?

"...The Spinpoint M9T hard drive is currently available in the Samsung Portable product line, which includes the M3 Portable and P3 Portable external drives"
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't know this, extra excited now
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Video from Gamespot of them changing the HDD (For an SSD):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_nt2Dwf78
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, "mild improvement" with an SSD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    So, "mild improvement" with an SSD

Yeah he said that after saying it decreased load times of the game they tested from 20 seconds to 10 seconds which is much more than a "mild improvement".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems Sony reserve 57GB from an installed HDD.

So a 500GB HDD which is actually 465GB, leaves you with 408GB to use. That's not terrible but with games taking around 40GB that's only 10 game installs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully some games are coming in a lot smaller.

I'm guessing there is a large reserve for the 15 minute DVR facility.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol, seriously? thats how we update firmware on devkits!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm unsure why it can't automatically download it from the PS servers... This is what Macs do if you put in a new HDD.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

I think that is how you update the firmware using a USB on the retail version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I'm unsure why it can't automatically download it from the PS servers... This is what Macs do if you put in a new HDD.

Neither am i tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it is something a Mac does then it is no doubt patented.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    It seems Sony reserve 57GB from an installed HDD.

So a 500GB HDD which is actually 465GB, leaves you with 408GB to use. That's not terrible but with games taking around 40GB that's only 10 game installs.

The console needs to be able to cache a full game in case a developer decides to NOT use the Install method, so 50GB is reserved for that along with an additional amount set aside for 15 minutes worth of high bitrate 1080p recording and then of course the 2GB for the OS.

That's one of the main reasons the console won't accept hard drives lower than 160GB, because it NNEDS to do those reserves before it can do anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    The console needs to be able to cache a full game in case a developer decides to NOT use the Install method, so 50GB is reserved for that along with an additional amount set aside for 15 minutes worth of high bitrate 1080p recording and then of course the 2GB for the OS.

That's one of the main reasons the console won't accept hard drives lower than 160GB, because it NNEDS to do those reserves before it can do anything else.

I dont understand what you mean in your first paragraph. If your game is above a certain size then game caching (called PlayGO) is a requirement, regardless of "install".
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I dont understand what you mean in your first paragraph. If your game is above a certain size then game caching (called PlayGO) is a requirement, regardless of "install".

The PS4 allows various methods to be used by the developers. Most games will start right away, caching as they install their alotted amount in the background, so the next time you play these games it will read from the install instead of the cache whilst only caching a smaller amount for quicker access or dynamic things within multiplayer (I'll leave that up to, but I'm sure most can guess what that will be). However some devs can decide against an install and just fully rely on the cache, this is where the game will start, and right off the bat it will take around 30 second to build a buffer and start playing that way. So everytime you play the game, it will do this.

That's why the console holds back a full dual layer Blu-ray (50GB) so it can, in a sense cache a full disc.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am tempted to take the 1TB out of my PS3 and swap it with the 500GB in the PS4.

500GB would just about be enough for what I have on my PS3 - Would be pushing it but would have to delete some games I'll never play again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So looks like even for MP games you can still go into the game within minutes.

What you'll get those is low-res textures until they're installed in the background.

Better to get in and playing rather than waiting for 25 minutes on Xbox One, though I think.