Stephen Fry: Gadget Man, C4&HD 8.30pm, 19-26 Nov, 3-10-17-24 Dec

Comments

• BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Why should I give a flying monkeys what Jonathan Ross thinks about anything?

When he appeared I turned off.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was okay. I did think it might have been more about the technology that Stephen uses in everyday life though. I was slightly disappointed when no electronic gadgets were shown. Electronic, as in, laptops — MP3 players — that sort of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Surely the days are gone when it matters if programmes are put up against each other? We, the viewers, have so many options now.

Precisely. People can record another channel when watching their chosen programme or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matchmaker wrote: »
    750 million or 750? :confused::confused:

It might have been 750,000.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Precisely. People can record another channel when watching their chosen programme or whatever.
    Using, ironicly, a gadget to do so :p
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,587
    Forum Member
    Gadget Man got around 2Million and TGS got about 750 on Monday night I think TGS is repeated though which might give it a bit more views.
    As is TGM because that's the ep I'm Tivoing.
    I think my head would explode if it was 750 million :)

So 2 million against 750,000 .. pretty clear cut methinks ..
    Well okay, but (as you and others are so fond of pointing out about TGS) let's see where the viewing figures go from here.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GrouchoM wrote: »
    Surely the days are gone when it matters if programmes are put up against each other? We, the viewers, have so many options now.

Yes and no. I’m sure there’s some statistic out there that if you were to include the entire British public the vast majority of television is still watched ‘live’, so scheduling is still an important factor.
    But if you’re only looking at the typical audience of Gadget Man and The Gadget Show I’m sure these people watch most of there television either time-shifted in some form or another (because they are typically younger and more tech savvy).
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well okay, but (as you and others are so fond of pointing out about TGS) let's see where the viewing figures go from here.

Well indeed. I hope for your sake it's not as conclusive each week though as I do know how fond you are of TGS :D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Stephen Fry is a national treasure. Of course the ratings for his show are going to be higher, especially on a channel with more viewers generally.

It doesn't mean it's a better gadget themed show. Stephen's show is more about him than gadgets which is obviously drawing in a different kind of audience.

For what it's worth though I don't expect the margin to be that big for future episodes. There will have been a certain amount of curiosity around Stephen's first episode. The Gadget Show has the big Christmas special coming up soon which is always popular.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feel a bit ambiguous about the show. Clearly an effort to show what can improve our lives, but perhaps it is difficult to see if his interest will be maintained. Glad we don't have to suffer to screaming and shouting on TGS, but he doesn't strike me as that excited by what he is presenting.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have my testicles eaten by a hungry lion than watch anything with the pompous Stephen Fry in it.
    Forum Member
    Well indeed. I hope for your sake it's not as conclusive each week though as I do know how fond you are of TGS :D
    That's TGS that has been on for how many years now and still getting good ratings?! ;)
    Woodentop wrote: »
    Feel a bit ambiguous about the show.
    Or possibly 'ambivalent'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or possibly 'ambivalent'?

Yes. This bloody predictive text is a nuisance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped for tonight - shopping and cooking gadgets this week.
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody hell!
    How many gadgets can you fit into a half hour show?
    I lost count, although some have stuck in my mind like the £150,000 corkscrew, which, if I had the money to spare...:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does get through at a pace. Enjoyed this. Although it is a little out of reach in many items, but maybe with further development, prices could come more into range.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed his dinner party wiith minor celeb guests. Amazing over complicated bottle opener and the gadget that drew in chocolate - funny how Steve , Derren and Jo looked ok by it but it revealed the real untermunter that Carol is. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the programme last night. Shame about the scheduling though. It's a good bit of entertainment and Fry is always very watchable. Being an eccentric himself sits quite well with the format.

Interestingly if the gadget show did a piece about that beautiful £150k bottle opener, the 'bring back the old format, I won't be watching, r.i.p gadget show' gang would be tapping away at their keyboards furiously because of reviews about gadgets that few can afford. Which is of course completely missing the point.

There now sees to be some championing of this programme by the anti-gadget show brigade which is hilarious.

Both perfectly acceptable programmes. Both entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's TGS that has been on for how many years now and still getting good ratings?! ;)

Are you sure you're not one of the producers ? :)
    There now sees to be some championing of this programme by the anti-gadget show brigade which is hilarious

I wouldn't say i'm in the "anti-gadget show brigade" but I certainly do prefer this show to TGS at the moment. Probably mainly down to TGS just having two presenters that still really don't have any chemistry. I'm one of the few people who actually doesn't mind Jason Bradbury because I think his enthusiasm for what he does is quite infectious, but he certainly had a lot more on-screen chemistry with Suzi and/or Ortis than he's ever had with Polly.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodentop wrote: »
    It does get through at a pace. Enjoyed this. Although it is a little out of reach in many items, but maybe with further development, prices could come more into range.
    I enjoyed it too. For once a programme that could do more than the half hour but would probably be a bit of a drag for the hour!
    I also thought of the price line but I get the impression that this was a programme which just wanted to show what is being developed in the aim to save time or difficulty than be something that we the viewer can go and buy in the shops... well, at least so with the cockscrew device! :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mb@2day wrote: »
    Enjoyed his dinner party wiith minor celeb guests. Amazing over complicated bottle opener and the gadget that drew in chocolate - funny how Steve , Derren and Jo looked ok by it but it revealed the real untermunter that Carol is. :p
    I do think it is a minor shame that it's a vehicle for celebs to get on telly.
    I guess it's that kind of show though. Fry bring a friend(s) along to test things out.

The BBQ stuff was just as interesting and although they may have been Fry's friends they were not celebs.

I was that bottle opener on The One Show a few months back.
  • Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was that bottle opener on The One Show a few months back.
    Should have told us. I would like to have seen you on the TV.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Should have told us. I would like to have seen you on the TV.
    Strange how the brain works.
    I used all the right letters but not neccessarily in the right order ;)
    Forum Member
    Interestingly if the gadget show did a piece about that beautiful £150k bottle opener, the 'bring back the old format, I won't be watching, r.i.p gadget show' gang would be tapping away at their keyboards furiously because of reviews about gadgets that few can afford. Which is of course completely missing the point.
    Absolutely spot-on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely unexpected drop in ratings this week. Still significantly more than the gadget show though..

Would hope it's enough for a second series, providing Stephen wants to do one