What albums do you feel are overrated?

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    I know it's an obvious addition but Adele's "21" is overrated, there is nothing that great about it to warrant such incredible sales. I don't care what anyone says people who disagree really need to expand their taste and listen to more music.

So basically you are right and everyone who purchased the album is wrong? :rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but to then so does everyone else. Judging by its sales 21 has obviously struck a chord with people, which is why they have brought it.

Adele would never feature on any list of my favourite acts, even if such a list stretched to a top 1000, but because I do have a wide taste in music, and I listen to a lot of music as well as going to a couple of gigs a month every month for over 30 years, I can appreciate precisely why so many people like 21.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Of course it is my opinion, just because loads of people bought it doesn't mean it's great or that I should buy it too. A lot of sales come from hype and other things, to me Adele's album is just OK, it's generally MOR radio music which is why in my opinion it didn't deserve such enormous sales because I don't believe it's becasue of quality alone. Having said that I don't really expect albums to sell on quality alone because that's not how it works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Currently, I think Random Access Memories has WAY too much hype. Daft Punk is great, but Pharrell speaking about the album being something beyond everything else is just absurd. Great marketing on their part though.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Purple Rain - Prince

I just think there are far better albums that Prince has made.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    ^ Of course it is my opinion, just because loads of people bought it doesn't mean it's great or that I should buy it too. A lot of sales come from hype and other things, to me Adele's album is just OK, it's generally MOR radio music which is why in my opinion it didn't deserve such enormous sales because I don't believe it's becasue of quality alone. Having said that I don't really expect albums to sell on quality alone because that's not how it works.

I never said you should buy it and it certainly isn't an album I would choose to buy, however to say "people who disagree really need to expand their taste and listen to more music" doesn't help your argument.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think Beyonce is over hyped as an artist. I think her music is pretty 'meh'
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TH14 wrote: »
    I also think Beyonce is over hyped as an artist. I think her music is pretty 'meh'

I think Single Ladies could have been the most overhyped song of all time.

Album wise, and not because I don't like ballads because I really really do, Adele 21 and Emeli Sande's are up there right at the top. I just find them both bland and overhyped, Emeli sings a song about being a clown or something and it's played every 30 minutes on Capital. There are much better songs out there to be played on radio rather than that.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
    Adele - 21
    Emeli Sande - Our Version Of Events

I also think Thriller is a good album, but not "biggest album of all time" good.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Lana Del Rey - Born To Die
    Adele - 21
    Emeli Sande - Our Version Of Events

I also think Thriller is a good album, but not "biggest album of all time" good.

I don't think Born To Die was ever overrated. When I've read reviews of the album most gave it quite a low scoring! It's certainly never been hyped in the way the other two are that you've listed, and Lana's songs aren't constantly played on every music channel!
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 2 or 3 amazing songs on 'Born To Die', though the majority of the album doesn't suit her voice that much, at least I don't reckon.

'Summertime Sadness' is the one I really like, it's classic songwriting!
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree about purple rain I prefer gold experience which is really underated in my opinion.
    I do like purple rain but to me it's a quite good album not amazing like some people have said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree, if you want a quality male R&B album you are better off listening to Miguel's Kaleidoscope Dream. Vocally he blows Frank away too.

This. This. And a thousand times this. Frank is probably one of the most overrated singers in a while. His artistry comes from his writing in my eyes, but his singing voice isn't that great. Frank is the clear example of a writer who didnt want to stay behind the scenes any longer, but doesn't have that great of a voice. He is very much like James Fauntleroy III(which funnily enough Chris Brown compared him to and Frank was upset), but in Frank's case, the public bought into it whereas they didnt with James. Every time I see a live performance Frank does I am puzzled as to how exactly he has a singing career. He should have stayed a writer IMO. James got the hint.

Miguel, on the other hand, is grossly underrated if you ask me.
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe.

For me, WTSMG is far better and is the much bigger seller too.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much prefer Definitely Maybe, more raw and fresh.

WTSMG sounded far to polished, probably why it sold more but didn't make it a better album.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Sticks & Stones
    I quite liked Sticks + Stones myself but I thought it was quite unpopular generally?

What is Sticks + Stones? The only one I can think of is Cher Lloyd, but I'd say that's one of the most underrated pop albums of the last few years.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Much prefer Definitely Maybe, more raw and fresh.

WTSMG sounded far to polished, probably why it sold more but didn't make it a better album.

Agree with this 100% :cool:
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justin's latest album.
    Frank Ocean - channel orange
  • VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Exile On Main Street - Rolling Stones. Worst production on a 'classic album' EVER!
    Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols. To say it's aged badly is an understatement.
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses. Oh, so you ripped off the Byrds and added a dance beat? How very imaginative. And your man Brown can't sing a note.
    Urban Hymns - The Verve. Everyone bought it for 'Bittersweet Symphony', which was based on a sample of an orchestral Rolling Stones LP. The remaining tracks didn't matter, which was handy, because if you actually played them, chances are you committed suicide after about three of them.
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis. Nobody overrates music like students, except maybe teenagers.
    The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles. A handful of pop classics unfortunately hidden in a sprawling double album full of fragments and filler. And bloody 'Revolution #9'.
    London Calling - The Clash. You shouldn't have to keep pressing 'skip' whilst listening to a classic album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Emeli Sande - Our Version Of Events.

So not worth all the hype and the sound on that album is crap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Emeli Sande - Our Version Of Events.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I say this as a fan, but Thriller is so overrated. Out of 9 tracks I class 3 of them as borderline filler. MJ released far better albums. Namely Bad and Dangerous, but I prefer all his later albums over Thriller.

I never got the overwhelming love for 21. Yes it's a good album with a handful of decent tracks (Rolling in the Deep, Rumour Has It) but as a long play - it's a bit of a chore to listen too. Adele does have a brilliant voice though, and I can't wait to see where she goes next.

As for Emeli Sande. Hell, who needs Nytol when you have OVOE! Talk about boring! The only two tracks which deserve repeat listens imo are Daddy (which is admittedly rather brilliant) and Heaven.
  • jacqueline_greejacqueline_gree Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 21 is overrated. Every song on that album is amazing.

Emeli Sande's OVE is overrated.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Exile On Main Street - Rolling Stones. Worst production on a 'classic album' EVER!
    Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols. To say it's aged badly is an understatement.
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses. Oh, so you ripped off the Byrds and added a dance beat? How very imaginative. And your man Brown can't sing a note.
    Urban Hymns - The Verve. Everyone bought it for 'Bittersweet Symphony', which was based on a sample of an orchestral Rolling Stones LP. The remaining tracks didn't matter, which was handy, because if you actually played them, chances are you committed suicide after about three of them.
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis. Nobody overrates music like students, except maybe teenagers.
    The Beatles (White Album) - The Beatles. A handful of pop classics unfortunately hidden in a sprawling double album full of fragments and filler. And bloody 'Revolution #9'.
    London Calling - The Clash. You shouldn't have to keep pressing 'skip' whilst listening to a classic album.

Is this simply being mischievous? Taking the mick.?
    That's a list of some of the most significant albums in pop/rock.
    The comments admittedly aren't particularly insightful so I can only assume this is a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Tubular Bells... buggest load of shite
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rita Ora - ORA - I've never heard such garbage.

Jessie J - Who You Are - A few ok tracks, but I never got the fuss over it, it gets very boring and mundane most of the way through it, and all the over-singing just ruins it.

Emeli Sandé - Our Version Of Events - I just find this album tediously boring, I don't mind Next To Me but that's it. The rest is dreadful and I find Emeli's voice very emotionless and sometimes annoying.