Options

Charlie Slater returning to Eastenders?

KBambiKBambi Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/eastenders-spoilers-charlie-slater-to-4533842

Charlie Slater is reportedly making an EastEnders comeback.

Actor Derek Martin has claimed he will reprise his role as the lovable cabbie for a handful of episodes to air next year.

He told the Daily Star: ”In December and January, I am going back to make a couple of episodes. I don't know what the storyline is but I am booked.

“Charlie is living with one of his daughters in Manchester and I think I have gone on holiday somewhere, Lanzarote or something.”

However, an EastEnders source tells Mirror TV: "It's still early days and it's not confirmed yet whether Derek will return."

Charlie was a regular fixture in Walford for 11 years from 2000 to 2011 before he was written out by then-executive producer Bryan Kirkwood.

He has since appeared on the soap in guest stints, most recently appearing in last year’s Christmas episodes.

The Slater family has been bolstered in the time since Charlie’s last visit with the return of Stacey Branning (Lacey Turner) and the birth of Kat and Alfie Moon's twins.

Comments

• Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for a guest stint but nothing more. He was a boring character.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will be good to see - has he even seen the twins yet?
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Yet another return :( I'm a bit fed up with all the returns. I prefer fresh. I found Charlie a bit boring.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YAY! I love Charlie and I love the Slater's, they need to be built back up IMO! With Stacey, Kat and Alfie and Mo it really is an opportunity DTC doesn't want to miss! I hope Sean and Jean can return too, that would be brilliant!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Two Charlies for the price of one!
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably he'll be back to support Kat once she knows that Alfie was responsible for the fire then.

It is jarring that he hasn't seen the twins yet, or come to see Kat when she was in hospital. I don't know why they can't have Stacey mention that Kat and Alfie have taken the twins to see Charlie during one of her appearances while Kat and Alfie are off screen.
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Lovable cabbie'? Loved by who?

Charlie was always a dull character. To be honest, I'm still annoyed that John Yorke stepped in to stop Kirkwood killing off Charlie but did nothing about him killing off Pat.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    for a guest stint but nothing more. He was a boring character.

I agree when you see the likes of Stan one realises how poor Charlie was/is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I agree when you see the likes of Stan one realises how poor Charlie was/is.

I agree with this completely.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Yet another return :( I'm a bit fed up with all the returns. I prefer fresh. I found Charlie a bit boring.

So basically you dont want the show to be realistic?
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i bet he can beat up phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically you dont want tge show to be realistic?

I think the more returning characters the better.. I mean let's face it, I'd rather have Charlie than the likes of Tosh and Donna:/
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sense this is leading to a regular return sometime next year. He'll probably be part of the 30th you bet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So basically you dont want tge show to be realistic?

I've nothing against realistic but I think we've had enough returns and I don't rate Charlie Slater. Maybe a short term visit would be realistic but I don't want Charlie back full time. As Vaslav said in comparison with Stan Charlie isn't that good. If we want the show to be more realistic and reflective of East London there should be more Asian characters, maybe on the market.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie is a dull character. Rather Zoe, little mo, sean, jean, ollie, belinda and Lynne return.why can't kats sisters finally visit her? Charlie did last year so why not one of the sisters?

Mo should go and make room for a decent slater to return full time as not to boost the cast size further.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yawn yoyo slater back again.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awww so glad hes coming back:) Stacey and Kat need a parent figure around, why did they even get rid of him??:confused:

tbf his character was never suppose to be that exiting he was there to keep his daughters in order.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure Charlie may never have been the most exciting of characters but I do love the returns adding that bit extra realism every so often. I doubt his return will be any sort of spectacular unmissable viewing but it is nice to see him popping back to see his family and new grandchildren over the Christmas. It's realistic.
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish he would come back for good corrie and emmerdale have many supporting characters with history etc which is EastEnders weakness right not bring charlie back for good & not just for the slaters/moons Patrick could do with seeing an old face again friend.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish he would come back for good corrie and emmerdale have many supporting characters with history etc which is EastEnders weakness right not bring charlie back for good & not just for the slaters/moons Patrick could do with seeing an old face again friend.

Exactly. We need him back.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie is a dull character. Rather Zoe, little mo, sean, jean, ollie, belinda and Lynne return.why can't kats sisters finally visit her? Charlie did last year so why not one of the sisters?

Mo should go and make room for a decent slater to return full time as not to boost the cast size further

Mo is fantastic and has more of a place on the show than lets say, Cora.

I'd welcome Charlie back. He was never supposed to be a main player. He was always there to support his girls and Kat has suffered greatly from him not being around. It was stupid decision to write him out just as she returned.

I also agree it would be a welcome boost for Patrick who has suffered without a male companion since Jim.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    It's realistic for comebacks.
    Charlie has a family on the square and plenty of people know him.

I for one think he should make a full time return and tbh Kirkwood should never have axed him.

Fair enough Charlie isn't the most exciting character but he isn't supposed to be.
    Charlie is there to keep the family in order and it's nice to have another older character with links.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Mo is fantastic and has more of a place on the show than lets say, Cora.

I'd welcome Charlie back. He was never supposed to be a main player. He was always there to support his girls and Kat has suffered greatly from him not being around. It was stupid decision to write him out just as she returned.

I also agree it would be a welcome boost for Patrick who has suffered without a male companion since Jim.
    Agree with everything you just said :)
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should come back for good, I always liked Charlie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, to echo what others have said on here, Charlie was never supposed to be a major character, neither is Mo, but with Mo back full time, Charlie coming back for good would be great! The actor is clearly up for it! Mo and Charlie were great characters, they added a bit of warmth and comedy to the show, when it was really dark and gritty, which was great! The show has suffered without the Mitchell's and Slater's playing major parts, previous EP's have let both families suffer, I hope DTC plans to build the Slater's back up! He's doing a pretty good job with the Mitchell's!:)