1tb box lock-ups since new software

Comments

• Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs brody wrote: »
    I have a Sky HD box which is about 2 months oid. I have two problems:

1. when watching a recorded programme i have recently found a 30 sec delay whenever i use the remote control

2, BBC 1 has a "technical fault"

Help!

Can i somehow re-set the box by unplugging it? Will lose any recordings?

Thanks in advance

You won't lose any recordings.

Shut down the box normally. Then switch off at the mains and unplug it. Leave it for 10 minutes. Plug it back in. Wait a couple more minutes - and then try it.

Roger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you Roger :)
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Service connection is still FAILED, but the slowdown then pressing red for anytime has gone :)

I've also noticed the lag has gone, seems like it just gives up looking.

Who's your ISP? It may well be locked down to Sky IP's only at the moment.

My newest box out of the four has decided to fail tonight as well :( thankfully it had very little on it, being replaced in the morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You won't lose any recordings.

Shut down the box normally. Then switch off at the mains and unplug it. Leave it for 10 minutes. Plug it back in. Wait a couple more minutes - and then try it.

Roger

It should be noted that this is also the same as leaving the box off for 10secs...

Electronics, once in the off state, are off end of, how long you leave it off is up to you, but the outcome remains the same :)
  • TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolguy121 wrote: »
    It should be noted that this is also the same as leaving the box off for 10secs...

Electronics, once in the off state, are off end of, how long you leave it off is up to you, but the outcome remains the same :)
    Not quite when the box has a hard drive to spin down before rebooting. 30 seconds is probably enough though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite when the box has a hard drive to spin down before rebooting. 30 seconds is probably enough though.

Once the heads auto park upon power loss, the HDD can spin all it wants, it won't make any difference to the reboot or the state of the motherboard...

The most important thing is to allow the box to write its data to the HDD during standby/shutdown, once it's done that, killing the power for 10secs or 10hrs achieves the same thing, except for the temperature difference :)

Off is off, unlike older electronics that required more power (and therefore more time to drain off that power) you would have to measure downtime in milliseconds to see any evidence of residual data retention..
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jon41 wrote: »
    Who's your ISP? It may well be locked down to Sky IP's only at the moment.

I'm with Be* but will be moving to BT Infinty Unlimited ASAP (unless Be* or Sky go FTTC), our exchange is due to be ready 31st March 2011 :)
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with Be* but will be moving to BT Infinty Unlimited ASAP (unless Be* or Sky go FTTC), our exchange is due to be ready 31st March 2011 :)

Morning,
    Now that's interesting because I've just today changed to Be* bonded and my boxes all show fail - so either it is sky blocking the IP's or Be* have blocked it.

My exchange has FTTC installed however they can't switch it on as they haven't updated the exchange to 21CN :mad:

I get 38Mb / 3.7Mb up now with bonded :)
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    add me to box lock ups (got 1TB box), seems to happen first thing of a morning, I can get up watch tv and stick it in standby an a few times this week when I get home the box would have froze on standby but with a red standby light as apose to a cream lookin standby light I would normally see and when I have checked planner it says failed recording for anythin that day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    For the benefit of the Sky watchers, same happened to me today - tried to access 143 and box froze with the numbers on screen. Power button reset (until red light on box) got everything back ok.

been having the same issue, I must on average be rebooting the box every other day at the moment, with this issue, or a banner stuck across the screen, also had everything disappear from the planner a few times, and other random no signal faults. Box was rock steady before the OS changed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolguy121 wrote: »

I think you missed the point.....

Or I missed the point of your post.....

Or maybe I didn't.
  • Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jon41 wrote: »
    So are mine, the contract only says it needs to be connected to power and telephone 24/7 and the way I see it is that the "deep" standby mode is a feature of the box.

I usually turn off when finished and then in morning power them up - just remember the box won't record anything while in the red standby.

Did you get the network connection back to "ok" or is it still showing "failed"?

:)

Whilst your box is in RED mode, it cannot conduct any requests including calling back to Sky or record programmes, so you are best to leave it in AMBER mode ;)

The contract actually states it needs to be connected to a fixed, operational telephone line that can accept and make calls and then further on states you should leave your box on standby mode when not in use and your viewing card should be left in the box - if you have the box on a red light or with the card out, it cannot do the callbacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all, I've just ordered a 1tb box and Sky BB (partly due to anytime+, partly 'cos i'm sick of TalkTalk and partly to have it all in one bill!)

Anyway, when i get my box, should i do a forced update? Will this get me any relevant updates for anytime+ or are the updates not on there yet? Also, is it worth it considering the problems it seems to be causing for people?!

(I've been out of the loop around here for a while so i'm not too familiar with exactly what updates have been happening etc. I take it the 'Darwin Update' is the anytime+ update?)

Thanks guys :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone heard if Sky are making any progress on this? I have just emailed jeremy.darroch@bsky.com as I am getting totally fedup up with this. Daily reboots of a £249 box which is less than three months old is simply not on and has left me now seriously considering cancelling Sky as they have supplied a box which is not fit for purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gorilla69 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard if Sky are making any progress on this? I have just emailed jeremy.darroch@bsky.com as I am getting totally fedup up with this. Daily reboots of a £249 box which is less than three months old is simply not on and has left me now seriously considering cancelling Sky as they have supplied a box which is not fit for purpose.

I had a further reply six days ago to my email asking for an update. I was told that they are close to a solution but could not give me a definite date as yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that Gem, shame they do not update their website.

For interest, I have done the forced download and simply made matters worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that Gem, shame they do not update their website.

For interest, I have done the forced download and simply made matters worse.

I've done the forced download too and although not making matters worse it certainly hasn't improved them.

I have emailed again today so will let you know if I hear anything further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope they haven't outsourced their IT, because if they have there'll be no fix this side of Christmas - 2011!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jem wrote: »
    I had a further reply six days ago to my email asking for an update. I was told that they are close to a solution but could not give me a definite date as yet.

Told me something different,
    On checking our daily updates there are notes from our technical team, of some known issues. At this point of time they are still being investigated as to why this has happened on some boxes, and no date of a fix can be given.

Offered me a replacement box which should be fine as it has been tested by the manufacturer.... eh? Surely the ones already out there had been?

I also asked for some kind of compensation as I am so hacked off I am seriously considering ditching Sky. I only had HD for three months and if I took them up on the offer of a free box this would be my THIRD box!
    Told, no can do as I am already on a discount... yeah but that is the reduced rate to allow for VAT which is not applicable here as we are exempt from VAT as we are not part of the UK and have no VAT/Goods Tax.

Agh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Told me something different,

Seems to be lots of different versions.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/Darwin-on-the-1TB-Amstrad/td-p/591
  • agentwalkeragentwalker Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Anyone having problems pausing , recording BBC 1 ? I keep getting failed recordings and when doing a live pause I get the message to contact sky.

although everything works fine on every other station
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one goodthing about this bug - is that *generally* it doesn't corrupt recordings. It will even allow a recording will the box itself is unavailable for use.

The main problem seems to be that once you are in blue screen your only option is a switching the whole thing off - which will interrupt any recording that may be in progress.

Lets hope they get to thorough testing quickly - I see mention of "Field Tests"............

Roger
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one goodthing about this bug - is that *generally* it doesn't corrupt recordings. It will even allow a recording will the box itself is unavailable for use.

The main problem seems to be that once you are in blue screen your only option is a switching the whole thing off - which will interrupt any recording that may be in progress.

Lets hope they get to thorough testing quickly - I see mention of "Field Tests"............

Roger

It does kill recordings :( I was recording A league of their own last night back-to-back after my box froze when trying to change to BBC2 after BBC1HD of Reggie Perrin, both recordings of ALOTO came up clashed though the recordings started and ended at the correct times, if the box was working as it should there would have been no clash as nothing else was recording between 10pm-11pm!

I guess the live channel that froze was not released for recording.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    It does kill recordings :( I was recording A league of their own last night back-to-back after my box froze when trying to change to BBC2 after BBC1HD of Reggie Perrin, both recordings of ALOTO came up clashed though the recordings started and ended at the correct times, if the box was working as it should there would have been no clash as nothing else was recording between 10pm-11pm!

I guess the live channel that froze was not released for recording.

Had to reboot again last night, had the old banner stuck across the screen issue
  • philnavigatorphilnavigator Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I was on this site three weeks ago with a scart socket issue which was resolved. At the time I was told that a software update had changed a setting, since that day I have had to reboot literally every single day! It freezes on backup, pressing tv guide, scrolling through epg etc etc, virtually every example on this thread has happened at least once.

I have no idea if its a 1tb box or not (how would I check?) but its eight months old and worked prefectly up to this point. I phoned Sky and got an engineer out, who simply swapped the box, losing all my recordings. The new box was fine for two days, then had a message on Thursday morning saying it had updated its software.........now I have twice had the empty planner/anytime scenario others on here have mentioned, again requiring reboots.

Its worth noting that when I went away for a few days, it crashed and all 18 recordings failked and that when a recording has been interrupted by a reboot, nothing from before the reboot has been saved, only the part of the recording afterwards has survived, which seems to be different to what others here have experienced.

I intend phoning them to report every time I have to reboot, but not accepting any advice or help that will lose me my recordings again. If evryone did the same, maybe they would fix it quicker, or I is that wishful thinking???:)