Comments

• FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you're not looking hard enough.
  • RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to a lot of early to mid '90s music at the moment. I'm really obsessed with TLC's "CrazySexyCool" at the moment.
  • JOEHEREJOEHERE Posts: 2,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about it being the best.

Some of it was pretty good stuff, Blur, Oasis, Nirvana etc. But there was also some crap about then too, think Westlife, Take That etc.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Some of it was good, like Spice Girls, Britney's BOMT era etc (I was only a kid in the 90s so that's what I liked back then), but there was some rubbish around like the boybands and the likes of Steps and Aqua.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early 90's music was fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOEHERE wrote: »
    Not sure about it being the best.

Some of it was pretty good stuff, Blur, Oasis, Nirvana etc. But there was also some crap about then too, think Westlife, Take That etc.

This.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My personal favourite period of music was the 60's, or to be more specific about 1965-1973. :) I wasn't even born until about 20 years after that era.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no its wasnt.... to say that youd need a full knowlege of all pop music over the last 50 plus years.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 90s is a decade of music with hardly any character or innovation.
  • ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIPLEY75 wrote: »
    Early 90's music was fantastic.

I was an 80s kid but around this time was awesome 89-93ish.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 90s dance music was fantastic. So many classic tunes from that era like;
    Robin S - Show Me Love
    Tony Di Bart - The Real Thing
    Livin' Joy - Dreamer
    Haddaway - What is Love?
    Olive - You're Not Alone

That is just a short example. What do we have now? David Guetta...*sigh*
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I think 90s dance music was fantastic. So many classic tunes from that era like;
    Robin S - Show Me Love
    Livin' Joy - Dreamer
    Haddaway - What is Love?
    Olive - You're Not Alone

Why does everyone just bring up Guetta? He isn't the only DJ/Dance act around.

There is some good dance/electro out there like Deadmau5, Tiesto, Avicii, Martin Solveig, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice etc who have had chart success over the years.
    Also Swedish House Mafia, Laidback Luke, Diplo.

A lot of these DJs do take inspiration from 90s dance.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know I have a very wide range of music knowledge and imo the 90's was the best. Of course not everyone will agree on this. Music today is absolutely terrible
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only style of music from the nineties that I enthuse about is Britpop, and that's only because much of it sounds as if it could have been recorded in the sixties.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a step down from the 80s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone just bring up Guetta? He isn't the only DJ/Dance act around.

There is some good dance/electro out there like Deadmau5, Tiesto, Avicii, Martin Solveig, Simian Mobile Disco, Justice etc who have had chart success over the years.
    Also Swedish House Mafia, Laidback Luke, Diplo.

A lot of these DJs do take inspiration from 90s dance.
    Makson wrote: »
    Robin S - Show Me Love
    Livin' Joy - Dreamer
    Haddaway - What is Love?
    Olive - You're Not Alone

Yeah I love 90s dance music because of the anthem style of many of the big house and US garage tunes as well as the progressive scene and some techno and trance plus IMO one of the most amazing periods of RnB in music history.

Virtually all of these genres still exist in one form or another or they have split into sub categories (US garage-which Robin S was classed as basically exists now within the themselves diverse categories of soulful,(mostly this one) deep or just plain old House).

As for Guetta, well to me he's only continuing the pop dance trend which has been pretty much around forever really, I mean remember act's like 2Unlimited and the crazy euro DJs who where having hits in the 1990s-its just dance music for the masses. No worse, no better. I used to (and still do) think they where terrible.

I agree with the previous poster, there is plenty of stuff around and a lot of the big name 90s DJ legend's like Frankie Knuckles are getting into producing and remixing again because there is a real demand for it.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the 90s wasn't the best decade, but it was better than the 80s and the 00's. the 70s were the best because a lot of new ground in music was being explored and record companies allowed artists far greater freedom of expression than came later

by the 80s a whole lot of things were wrong, with samplers and the creation of boybands, and sequencers, so you had people who couldn't sing or play an instrument topping the charts. the 90s were a reaction to that with grunge and britpop, but many of the acts were copying what came before them, most notably in the 70s, and late 60s, most notably with blur and oasis, and grunge

but in each period there is good and bad music. you just need to turn away from the charts. in the past the charts had sometimes had influence from better music, but not so much in the last decade or so
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure it's easy to proclaim the 90s as the best, but I don't think anyone can say the decade doesn't have its fair share of classic songs that can hold their own with the classics from other decades.

At the same time, it's easy for any of us to say that today's songs won't be regarded as classics in ten-fifteen year's time. Sure, *I* probably won't regard so many songs as classics - I think music is engaging with me far less than it ever has done before - but in ten years time, well educated music fans will definitely be able to put their case across that music in the 2010s is fantastic, compared to music in the 2020s (or, indeed, music is equally just as good/bad as it ever was).

For me though, the 90s will always hold a special place in my heart, since it was the time I was buying music the most. I would emerge from my local HMV with literally armfulls of CDs. I was about 17 or so at the turn of the 90s, so I guess it was my "time". Then again, my folks maintained that 90s music was dire by comparison to the stuff they were buying in the 60s. I don't dispute they're right about that (at least as far as they themselves are concerned), much the same as I'd hate it if anyone else tried to insinuate that I am wrong to hold a particular opinion about the 90s and how it compares to today's music output.
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Wonderful. Another my decade was better than your decade thread. The best decade for music is a subjective thing as we don't all have the same tastes.

For me, the best music came in the 70s. It's a pity I wasn't born until 83.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Every decade has it's great music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I prefer the music that was out then much more than music out now:(

Agreed
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I grew up in the 90s so yeah I'm a bit biased I loved 90s music some of the 80s was good as well too. A lot of music nowadays is just uhhh wtf for me is the only way I can describe it fortunately artists like Adele, Jessie J, Kelly Clarkson etc. give me hope :)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uggla wrote: »
    I was an 80s kid but around this time was awesome 89-93ish.

lol..couldnt disagree more, 89-93 was for me the worst period ever... hated it, hated the styles, hated the fashion.

unique wrote: »
    the 90s wasn't the best decade, but it was better than the 80s and the 00's. the 70s were the best because a lot of new ground in music was being explored and record companies allowed artists far greater freedom of expression than came later

by the 80s a whole lot of things were wrong, with samplers and the creation of boybands, and sequencers, so you had people who couldn't sing or play an instrument topping the charts. the 90s were a reaction to that with grunge and britpop, but many of the acts were copying what came before them, most notably in the 70s, and late 60s, most notably with blur and oasis, and grunge

but in each period there is good and bad music. you just need to turn away from the charts. in the past the charts had sometimes had influence from better music, but not so much in the last decade or so

unusually i dont agree with you on this.

but i dont think you can catagorise one decade as different from another because fashions didnt start and end with each decade.

the early 60's = poor , the mid 60's = great
    early 80's = great, late 80's = poor.

i didnt get much into the britpop stuff in the 90's, just a third reincarnation of 60's mod. (the second being new wave in the late 70's), but i loved the way dance evolved and peaked in the 90's, especially the late 90's when trance was at its zenith. for me trance propped up an otherwise dire decade.

id also champion the early 00's, as for me preferable to the 90's. there was some class rock from qotsa, white stripes, hives, auf der maur, etc.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The era of the "remix".

Great for dance stuff:

Livin Joy
    JX
    Nightcrawlers
    Olive
    Real 2 Reel
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol..couldnt disagree more, 89-93 was for me the worst period ever... hated it, hated the styles, hated the fashion.

unusually i dont agree with you on this.

but i dont think you can catagorise one decade as different from another because fashions didnt start and end with each decade.

the early 60's = poor , the mid 60's = great
    early 80's = great, late 80's = poor.

i didnt get much into the britpop stuff in the 90's, just a third reincarnation of 60's mod. (the second being new wave in the late 70's), but i loved the way dance evolved and peaked in the 90's, especially the late 90's when trance was at its zenith. for me trance propped up an otherwise dire decade.

id also champion the early 00's, as for me preferable to the 90's. there was some class rock from qotsa, white stripes, hives, auf der maur, etc.

the late 80s/early 90s fashions were the worst ever. but whilst a lot of music was shite, the early house/acid stuff at that time was classic, 87/88, and then you had the baggy era at the end of the 80s/start of the 90s. personally i wasn't a big fan of most of the indie stuff of the 80s, and the 90s "indie" was about as far removed from indiependant as you could get, with the majors owning the indie offshoots