Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Amyy. wrote: »
    Just got back! Absolutely brilliant, I thought it was much improved from the first film.
    Captain America oh my god! Utterly brilliant. :p

I'd heard beforehand that Loki died so I was a little apprehensive going in, even though I knew they probably wouldn't kill him, so very happy with the ending haha.

Also we left after the mid credit scene, didn't realise there was another, what happened in the end one?

I didn't think much of the second one.
    Thor beams down to earth. He and Jane kiss. Then we see a monster from earlier in the film scrambling around a car park.
  • Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amyy. wrote: »
    Captain America oh my god! Utterly brilliant. :p

I'd heard beforehand that Loki died so I was a little apprehensive going in, even though I knew they probably wouldn't kill him, so very happy with the ending haha.

Also we left after the mid credit scene, didn't realise there was another, what happened in the end one?
    in the same lines as The Avengers and Iron Man 3, it's nothing significant and just for laughs.. Thor come back to earth and kisses Jane, and then you see that big monster thing from the Frost Giants world chasing birds around that Industrial Easte
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For anyone wondering they didn't show the trailer to Captain America 2, they only showed trailers of Robocop & a couple of other non Marvel films.

At the cineworld non IMAX regular 3D showing in Edinburgh last night, it had different trailers. apart from The Hobbit 2, nothing significant,
    Even Gravity was shown, and that's been out a few weeks!!
    Robocop wasn't there. No summer movies.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    In cineworld MK we had the Captain america trailer and the Hobbit 2 :D

Did anyone else find the dark elves a bit terrifying? Not so much the leaders but the fighters. The masks were brilliant but a bit freaky.

I really loved the humour throughout the film. The whole cinema was laughing, especially when they all got to the flat
    Thor hanging his hammer up by the door was small but brilliant :D
    I like they fact they used itv news as well rather than making up a news show.

I always like the Stan Lee cameos and this was no exception.

Also did anyone else get the impression that Anthony Hopkins didn't really want to be there? I was a bit unimpressed with him in this movie. But maybe it was just me.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Not a big fan of superhero movies (in the sense that I don't understand or follow the genre. However, I can enjoy superhero movies on a standalone basis. So, having not seen the first Thor I thought I'd take advantage of the double bill in Cineworld. Totally enjoyed both films! May have to try the Avengers now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan of superhero movies (in the sense that I don't understand or follow the genre. However, I can enjoy superhero movies on a standalone basis. So, having not seen the first Thor I thought I'd take advantage of the double bill in Cineworld. Totally enjoyed both films! May have to try the Avengers now.

Check out Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Captain America firstly, and you'll enjoy The Avengers a bit more
    But you don't have to see any to understand it though
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Check out Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Captain America firstly, and you'll enjoy The Avengers a bit more
    But you don't have to see any to understand it though
    I seen Iron Man but didn't really enjoy it that much. There didn't seem to be a lot happened in it. Will check out the others :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I didn't think much of the second one.
    Thor beams down to earth. He and Jane kiss. Then we see a monster from earlier in the film scrambling around a car park.
    in the same lines as The Avengers and Iron Man 3, it's nothing significant and just for laughs.. Thor come back to earth and kisses Jane, and then you see that big monster thing from the Frost Giants world chasing birds around that Industrial Easte

Ah, nothing too important then, thank you both!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Just saw it and loved it, though I can't stand the romance with Jane Foster....ugh, I only hope number 3 sees that end. Needed more of Asgard, Sif and the warriors three in particular, and the Dracy humour works best in small doses...very small doses.

Loved the twist at the end an almost wish we could skip Avengers to and go straight to Thor 3 to see how the heck they sort that out
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I think that we may have a long wait for Thor 3 as Marvel have got a lot of other films lined up before they can do Thor 3.I thought it was strange to have that ending as I can't see how they continue that story soon with Marvel plans for the next few years!

I got the feeling that there was a storyline with Sif,Thor and Jane that was cut out but I could be wrong!
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say I haven't seen Thor 1 but those who have seen 2, do you think that would make this film less enjoyable?
    Forum Member
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Sorry to say I haven't seen Thor 1 but those who have seen 2, do you think that would make this film less enjoyable?

It depends, the only place it makes a big difference is in explaining his relationship with the Jane character but that is a big part of the plot; (though to be honest given what they showed of their 'relationship' in the first film I can't quite work out where this deep and meaningful relationship has come from) but on the whole I don't think it should detract to much, it's a good film in it's own right
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Ellie_Mack wrote: »
    It depends, the only place it makes a big difference is in explaining his relationship with the Jane character but that is a big part of the plot; (though to be honest given what they showed of their 'relationship' in the first film I can't quite work out where this deep and meaningful relationship has come from) but on the whole I don't think it should detract to much, it's a good film in it's own right

Well the events of the first Thor film all took place over about 3 days so that's the length of time they had to build their relationship. While you may say that's not a reasonable amount of time to build such a relationship, I point you towards Titanic. I think that deep, meaningful relationship was build over two days.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I stayed for the mid credit scene but it didn't look like a marvel film, more like a hellboy movie. What is it for?
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    I stayed for the mid credit scene but it didn't look like a marvel film, more like a hellboy movie. What is it for?
    It's a link to Marvels Studios other film in 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy. The Collector is due to appear in that film and it will have more links to Thanos (who appeared in The Avengers) the likely villain of the Avengers 3 and the Infinity Gauntlet.
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Well the events of the first Thor film all took place over about 3 days so that's the length of time they had to build their relationship. While you may say that's not a reasonable amount of time to build such a relationship, I point you towards Titanic. I think that deep, meaningful relationship was build over two days.

I detest Titanic and found the relationship between the ship and the iceberg to be the most deep, meaningful and believable relationship in the film, so not a winning argument for me!:p
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie_Mack wrote: »
    I detest Titanic and found the relationship between the ship and the iceberg to be the most deep, meaningful and believable relationship in the film, so not a winning argument for me!:p

:eek: But everybody knows that only deep, meaningful and twue love relationships can be born during unbelievably stressful situations! Those are practically the bread and butter of action and thriller films, too! Not a misattribution of arousal at all!
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree this film was at times hilarious! Even funnier than Iron Man 3. And much, much better than that movie. While it did take a while to get going, this was an awesome movie!
    Of course, Loki steals the show, but Thor continues to shine here, making what could be a very bland character likable. Really, really good film.
    And the whole cinema erupted when Loki pretended to be Captain America. That was an awesome little scene!
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Loved the film, the cameos were great too. One thing I will say, the next meeting between Odin & Thor is going to be a bit odd.
    Odin: "So son, do you want to be King yet?"
    Thor: "No father, we've had this conversation already."
    Odin: "We have, when?"
    Thor: "Yesterday after I returned from Earth"
    Odin: "Yesterday I was in Barbados with a Cocktail. Whoever you spoke too, it wasn't me."

At said point, they both click and figure it all out.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it today and quite enjoyed it, it had a good balance of action and humour and made up for Iron Man 3 which was okay, the cast were great especially Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Christopher Eccleston. Favourite bit included
    Loki as Captain America and which way to Greenwich although they did make a slight error but nothing minor.

The mid credit scene with
    The Collector is foreshadowing Guardians of the Galaxy, guessing they will be trying to steal the dark matter from The Collector
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got back. Loved it!

I'd give it 8/10... maybe pushing 9/10. Bigger than the first, more fun than the first. The only let down is that Loki wasn't on screen all the way through.

Some great action, some bloody funny bits, and some great moments between Thor and Loki and between other characters.

There was one brief bit halfway through the film that I was not expecting, and which was absolutely bloody excellent.

There are two stingers: One halfway through the end credits, and one at the end of them. And as is usual when I see these films, the majority of people got up and left as soon as the credits started to roll, even though *every* Marvel film has a post- and/or mid-credit scene.

At the cineworld non IMAX regular 3D showing in Edinburgh last night, it had different trailers. apart from The Hobbit 2, nothing significant,
    Even Gravity was shown, and that's been out a few weeks!!
    Robocop wasn't there. No summer movies.

I saw trailers for The Hobbit part 2, Captain America 2, and Gravity.

Gravity has been out a few weeks? Not nationwide! The UK release is not until next Friday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised to see so many people knocking Iron Man 3 in this thread, I really enjoyed it, thought it was the best of the standalone Iron Man movies. I can understand people criticising the extended Avengers trailer that was IM2, but IM3 was infinitely better (imo).
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it and the humour was good. Thor on the tube :)

The main villain was a bit boring though.
  • daveyp2007daveyp2007 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Dont see it at cineworld, we were forced to watch what felt like the entire walter mitty film, can understand the tactic but not for thor audiences

Anyway loved it, by far the thor francise is by far the most enjoyable out of the marvel universe, agree with most comments that it felt a bit fragmented at the beginning but once the film gathered pace was good fun,

I know Captain America looks perfectly good, would be willing to skip it for guardians to be honest!!!
  • SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loki :D:D:cool:

That was really all I wanted to say.