Anyone else having trouble with Britsh Gas Homecare?

Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
Forum Member
✭✭
Tried to fire up the heating last night, first time in months, and no-go. Not to worry, I thought, I've got a British Gas Homecare contract.

I've been trying all morning to get to speak to someone to get an engineer out, must have called 30 times on a variety of numbers, can't get through to anyone. The phone automated booking line says there are no appointments available in the next few WEEKS and the online booking system won't recognise my Homecare number to let me book it online.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poblem sorted. Used the cancel agreement phone option and got a call-back.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you got through, but it's not really good enough is it?

We cancelled ours after they refused to include something we thought was covered. We've now got a really reliable local plumber and all in all it's working out a lot cheaper.
  • mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Haven't had reason to ring them recently but never had any problems getting through to them in the past.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Haven't had reason to ring them recently but never had any problems getting through to them in the past.
    Me neither, I've advocated their services in threads on here in the past.

It's been getting quite uncomfortable and I was so fed up I went and fiddled and found the reset button and all up and running now so I'll be cancelling the appointment I was given for tomorrow once I'm sure all OK.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Main point about Homecare (which is a perfectly OK service) is not to accept the huge price rise when it renews each year. If they won't renew at last years price - Cancel. (do this in Summer if possible ;)). Then join up again a few weeks later at the attractive rate for New Customers.
    If you are paying much more than £15 to £16 for basic Homecare Boiler cover, I say you are being "ripped off".
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the past 30 years we have more than had our monies worth out of them, still reasonable value even though it has gone up a bit. Our system is now nursed along by them as they no longer make parts for it. Rang for service last week no problem getting an appointment at all.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have read this thread with interest as i'm currently going through similar problems after returning back off holiday to find my rubbish Ideal Boiler had packed up (second time in two years running).

My insurance is through Nationwide as part of my Building and Contents and initially things got off to a good start. Plumber guy came out, sussed the problem, then told me they'd need to price the part and order it. OK fair do's. But i've now been without hot water the past six days. I tried to contact them yesterday but all i got was an ansaphone so I called Nationwide who told me the Plumber would be attending to my job "sometime in the afternoon". I sat waiting........and waiting. By 6.30pm i'd given up hope.

Today i found a note on the doormat saying they had called yesterday but got no response. I have both bell and door knocker, plus the engineer has my mobile and land line number.......none of which were used.

My guess is whoever had been, wanted an early night so just stuck a note in the porch and cleared off.

I called them earlier and been told it will be around 5pm so i told the girl to tell the plumber 1) phone me on either number and 2) make sure he knocks on the damn door!

I'm fed up of getting up at 8am each morning (i didn't retire for that!) and having freezing cold showers! :mad::mad:

As for OP's question. Given that combi-boilers are so unreliable and the parts ludicrously over priced, insurance is very tempting......but not cheap. I'm considering pricing up what the most expensive part is, then comparing that to how much a year i pay for boiler insurance. It possibly makes more sense financially not to bother with any insurance and bank the cash.
  • Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had problems getting through yesterday, called at 8am, waiting time was 1 hour to speak to an operator, eventually spoke to someone at 11.20 after holding for about 7 minutes, had an engineer with me within 2 hours. Brilliant young lad who took time to explain to us what was happening to our system, and put some so e in radiators to stop the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband called them last Friday to book our yearly boiler service. Got through straight away and got an appointment for that same afternoon!

Seems like the level of service you get might depend on where you live?
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a call last week from them to arrange our annual service. Odd thing is, it's not due until November. When I pointed this out, she said they were trying to avoid busy spells, which I can understand, but at the same time I think it's a bit early to contact customers two months in advance. I don't really feel it necessary to have a service after just 10 months - especially if there could be a 14 month gap until the next one. I told her we usually book it online anyway, so she left us to do that once it's showing as being due online.

We had a few problems with them changing appointment days or turning up late earlier in the year (there's another thread somewhere), but no problems at all this week. Phoned Sunday afternoon - got right through - and they were out on Monday.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a call last week from them to arrange our annual service. Odd thing is, it's not due until November. When I pointed this out, she said they were trying to avoid busy spells, which I can understand, but at the same time I think it's a bit early to contact customers two months in advance. I don't really feel it necessary to have a service after just 10 months - especially if there could be a 14 month gap until the next one. I told her we usually book it online anyway, so she left us to do that once it's showing as being due online.

We had a few problems with them changing appointment days or turning up late earlier in the year (there's another thread somewhere), but no problems at all this week. Phoned Sunday afternoon - got right through - and they were out on Monday.

They changed my annual service date from February to June. Makes sense to me really, I would rather free up staff to deal with emergencies.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    They changed my annual service date from February to June. Makes sense to me really, I would rather free up staff to deal with emergencies.
    I would have been quite happy for them to make a permanent change to our annual service date, but the woman on the phone didn't say that, and I didn't know it was something that could be done.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have been quite happy for them to make a permanent change to our annual service date, but the woman on the phone didn't say that, and I didn't know it was something that could be done.

Once the date has been brought forward it usually stays the same ours was brought forward a few years ago from November to June made perfect sense and has been June now for about 10 years.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have a contract with them but I've often been less than enamored with the customer service. Last time I had to contact them was odd. I got a letter saying it was time for my annual service and that I should book an appointment. The only slot available was that morning (great choice :rolleyes:) in an hour's time. So I booked it.

The engineer turned up on time.

I don't know whether to call that crap customer service (only one appointment available in the next week) or brilliant customer service (engineer turned up within an hour).

But historically whenever I've needed them I've usually got an engineer the next day apart from one time when he was diverted to a 'higher priority customer' and no-one bothered to call me to let me know.

So - meh. They can be okay..and they can be bad.
  • evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HI again. I had the homecare package. The trouble I had was I moved house and forgot to inform them but surprise they had took my money when billing for energy. I needed the boiler checked out and they told me my homecare was null and void as it was a new property but they had taken money every month as I set up a direct debit. The guy they sent was hopeless and seemed vague. he broke my hot water tap and in the hour he was there got nowhere. I had to pay £100, plus get a plumber to put in a new tap. He checked the boiler and said it was just a small job but he could not touch someone's work. The BG engineer turned up and he said I needed a new part (nonsense). I had to pay again. The trouble is the engineers are hit and miss and some are not very good, you do not have a choice in who they send. I have found a wonderful, honest plumber/engineer and I would never ever go with British gas again. It is best to get a recommended gas/plumber engineer. I also feel BG pressurise you to get a new part or new boiler. Dreadful company!
  • OrangecrabOrangecrab Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Homecare monthly cover increased from £12 to £15.96 upon renewal, without any advance notice (it's taken by direct debit). I checked the website and found that they say they assess each customer's requirements on an individual basis and therefore they can charge what they like.
  • LollylowLollylow Posts: 6,314
    Forum Member
    Funny this should pop up I just see the small print in their advert.

You pay X amount a week plus £60 for each repair?

Put the money away and get a local boiler repairer it's cheaper.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member
    Lollylow wrote: »

Depends what level of cover you have. The cover I have is completely free repairs.

As for a local boiler repairer, all well and good if you can find one. The other year our boiler broke just at the start of winter and couldn't get anyone to come out for over a week.
  • belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 03/10/18 - 17:45 #20
    It's much better to register for an on-line account with BG. You can than request an engineer on line within a couple of minutes and pick your slot.

• Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member

I have been giving my mum this advice for years, she still will not take it, her renewal this year £772.51.

Boiler broke down, 2 engineers over 3 days in temperatures of below freezing, can't be fixed, we will get a salesperson out to quote for new boiler £6500.00. I called a local heating engineer out, fixed in 40 minutes, cost £120.00. Washing machine broke down, engineer can't be fixed, here are our deals on a new washing machine. I called a local repair person fixed in under 20 minutes cost £50.00. Same issue with tumble dryer.

I find them a terrible company who employ engineers who can not fix problems without a tablet telling them what to do.

• mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »

I have been giving my mum this advice for years, she still will not take it, her renewal this year £772.51.

Boiler broke down, 2 engineers over 3 days in temperatures of below freezing, can't be fixed, we will get a salesperson out to quote for new boiler £6500.00. I called a local heating engineer out, fixed in 40 minutes, cost £120.00. Washing machine broke down, engineer can't be fixed, here are our deals on a new washing machine. I called a local repair person fixed in under 20 minutes cost £50.00. Same issue with tumble dryer.

I find them a terrible company who employ engineers who can not fix problems without a tablet telling them what to do.

That is ridiculous quotes. Good job your looking out for your Mum.
    Which reminds me my boiler is coming to end of extended warranty now. I was thinking BG but think I'll go extra cover direct with manufacturer Worcester, although it will cover boiler only.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,774
    Forum Member

£6500? British Gas did my boiler and it cost £2k.
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member

£6500? British Gas did my boiler and it cost £2k.

Apparently high price due to boiler being in cellar and water tank being in loft, salesperson quoted 5 day job.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got fed up with the annual phone call to try to knock out the proposed increase and switched to an add-on to my SAGA home insurance. I pay a lower rate with no charge for each call-out, compared to the BG £50.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I got fed up with the annual phone call to try to knock out the proposed increase and switched to an add-on to my SAGA home insurance. I pay a lower rate with no charge for each call-out, compared to the BG £50.

Yes just done this, my renewal quote showed a 12% increase, phoned them up and ended up with a quote £50 less than previous year.