Options

Use Foxsat HDR Output to Feed Sky+ Box?

Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
Forum Member
Ok, was looking for a replacement for my Sky+ box and thought the Foxsat HDR looked like a great choice especially given the upgrade options. So got my hands on one and upgraded the HDD to 1TB which was straightforward. Then installed Raydon's excellent custom firmware along with Nowster's patch and all is working well. Now able to stream SD and HD recordings and live TV to my tablet. Much more fexible than my Sky+ box, which brings me to my question (yes I'm geting there finally). My Sky contract has a couple of weeks to run and I have recordings on it to watch. But Sky box won't play ball without at least one satellite feed. Thought I could switch the Sky box to single input and use the LNB out on the back of the Foxsat to feed the Sky box? But the box stubbornly says it's not receiving a signal? Do I need to do something to turn the LNB output on? Any ideas gratefully accepted.
Regards,

Lt. Dang

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky box should get a fully working signal from rf1 out when the Foxsat-hdr is in low power sby. When on it will only have access to those channels in the same frequency band (high/low) and polarisation (Horizontal/Vertical) as the transponder tuner 1 is currently using. I have my rf1 out connected to a fta pvr ready satellite box. You can use it to record subject to the above restrictions.

There is list of freesat transponders with the above information here. Just open it in any browser using the File menu option.

https://www.adrive.com/public/t3jBkt/FoxsatStaticMK2_011.htm
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note also that the Sky box when being booted from mains off needs to find its "default" transponder (11778 V) otherwise it will report "no satellite signal". So if booting the Sky box the Foxsat needs to be either in standby or tuner 1 tuned to a channel in the "high band and vertical polarisation" group. Once booted the rules graham posted apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note also that the Sky box when being booted from mains off needs to find its "default" transponder (11778 V) otherwise it will report "no satellite signal". So if booting the Sky box the Foxsat needs to be either in standby or tuner 1 tuned to a channel in the "high band and vertical polarisation" group. Once booted the rules graham posted apply.

Thanks Dave. The list of high band vertical freesat channels is short.

202 Sky News
    144 pick
    651 COMMUNITY
    524 Kerrang
    521 Smashhits
    519 The Box
    518 Kiss
    808 JML DIRECT
    660 SONY SAB
    154 truTV
    150 Travel Channel
    143 more>movies
    210 CNBC
    650 Ocean TV
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this still the case? I ask because I no longer see 11778 as a frequency on
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-2A-2E-2F.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Is this still the case? I ask because I no longer see 11778 as a frequency on
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-2A-2E-2F.html

Still listed on Kingofsat Transponder 4 Astra 2A North beam.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still listed on Kingofsat Transponder 4 Astra 2A North beam.

http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

I think that may be out of date now - http://www.flysat.com/28east.php lists it on 2E. It is probably not on lyngsat as it has no actual channels on that transponder but merely the Sky EPG data stream at present.
  • Options
    Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys for your very helpful responses.
    Your information was spot on and I have been able to unlock my Sky box to catch up on my unwatched stuff whilst keeping the 2 LNB feeds plugged into the Foxsat so my recording schedule can continue uninterrupted - really great result so much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Lt. Dang
  • Options
    Joolio GeordioJoolio Geordio Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Would I be correct in thinking that if I was to connect my Sky box to my Foxsat in this way I could access free to air channels from freesat from Sky and BT Sport?
    Thanks
    Joolio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi
    Would I be correct in thinking that if I was to connect my Sky box to my Foxsat in this way I could access free to air channels from freesat from Sky and BT Sport?
    Thanks
    Joolio

No idea as to BT sport but no problem with FTA channels (or FTV with a viewing card), subject to the limitations specified in post 2. I have a single tuner fta pvr ready box connected to my Foxsat tuner 1 out socket.

Incidentally the new satinfo package will now also provide the required transponder info by simply sorting the output data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers Graham. Thats good to know. I will give it a go when I reconnect my Foxsat once Sky goes the journey in September. If it can get BT Sport then it will be a good reason not to stick the Sky pvr in a box in the loft.

I dread to begin to imagine what your set up must be like it sounds like wall to wall Humaxs!
    What are you using to act as Dlna device to access content from Foxsats? I was thinking of adding a Fox T2 HDr or the HDR 2000 T.
    Joolio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Graham. Thats good to know. I will give it a go when I reconnect my Foxsat once Sky goes the journey in September. If it can get BT Sport then it will be a good reason not to stick the Sky pvr in a box in the loft.

I dread to begin to imagine what your set up must be like it sounds like wall to wall Humaxs!
    What are you using to act as Dlna device to access content from Foxsats? I was thinking of adding a Fox T2 HDr or the HDR 2000 T.
    Joolio

Samsung Galaxy S4 phone or Nexus 5 tablet. The HDR FOX T2's can also stream from the Foxsat-hdr but as they are in the same room there's not much point :D

Grandson can also view my recordings using his X Box One.
  • Options
    alanscoachdrivealanscoachdrive Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have followed these instructions and linked my Foxsat to a Sky HD receiver as described. I can now watch the Sky Freesat channels and also BT Sport 1/2 and ESPN in HD as well which I get from plusnet.

Much happier I have this on my main TV now rather than the Sky box connected to my bedroom TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have followed these instructions and linked my Foxsat to a Sky HD receiver as described. I can now watch the Sky Freesat channels and also BT Sport 1/2 and ESPN in HD as well which I get from plusnet.

Much happier I have this on my main TV now rather than the Sky box connected to my bedroom TV.

Thanks for posting this its good to know it works with BT Sport.