Yeoman Rand from Star Trek Has Died

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Yeoman Rand :(, condolences to all family and friends.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was always giving longing looks to Kirk.

As a child I thought she had very strange legs in the short uniform. She looked much better in the later Star Trek The Motion Picture.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    She was always giving longing looks to Kirk.

As a child I thought she had very strange legs in the short uniform. She looked much better in the later Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Well I cant honestly say strange legs was my first assessment as a child, I thought she was absolutely gorgeous.

Very sad to hear this. Im sure I read somewhere her alcoholism was a reason her character was not developed further in the first series-and she was released before it ended . She might have been a love interest for Kirk-mind you as Kirk ended up snogging half the universe,it might have struggled to last.

Clearly she has done a lot to help regarding alcoholism and has had a long life, and she is virtually immortal being associated with Star Trek. RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Grace Lee Whitney. Very sad that we say goodbye to yet another Star Trek alumni.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Grace Lee Whitney. Very sad that we say goodbye to yet another Star Trek alumni.

At 85, I would imagine it is not a shock when somebody dies. Thank you for being the first person to use her name - she was a person not a character.
  • SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Very sad to hear this. Im sure I read somewhere her alcoholism was a reason her character was not developed further in the first series-and she was released before it ended . She might have been a love interest for Kirk-mind you as Kirk ended up snogging half the universe,it might have struggled to last.

She was probably written out because she was seen to be getting too close to Kirk, and the producers wanted him to be free to pursue outside love interests without the burden of a 'girlfriend'. Grace didn't really struggle with alcohol (and pills) until after being fired.

She also described how she was sexually assaulted by an executive of the Star Trek production team (not identified by name), and draws a link between this incident and her sacking not long after.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    RIP Grace.

Remember her from an episode of the Outer Limits too.

Always thought her credit in The Search for Spock as "Woman in Cafeteria" as rather insulting.

AFAIK the reason she left after series one was that as she was a fairly famous 'starlet' at the time, her fees were just too much for them to continue with her. They sort of implied Janice Rand had fallen for Kirk, but realised he couldn't reciprocate, so left.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I have her autobiography and if I remember correctly, the reason she gave for leaving Trek was that the producers felt that her character was getting too close to Kirk and if they allowed that to continue then Kirk would have no love intrests in future episodes with guest stars. She also admitted that drink was a problem for her during the time she was in the series (I never realised untill recently that Nimoy was also an alcoholic) She never publicly named the producer who attacked her but is frank about her decline into alcoholism and prostitution and her subsequent recovery. I was always glad that in the two of the films she made an appearence. R.I.P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in william shateners books 'star trek memories' and 'star trek movie memories' he regrets not standing up for her when she was assaulted twice by unnamed person(s) these events led to her alcohol issues...she was later included in the films as 'repayment' for the ills done to her.

but her issues meant she was never featured heavily.

RIP hopefully now she really can.
  • kobiashimaruxkobiashimarux Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    RIP Grace. I met her a few times wonderful freindly and warm Lady. Such a nice person.