Unlocking password protected Word documents

I have some old MS Word documents on an external hard drive dating as far back as 2003/2004. Only trouble is that they're password protected and I can't remember any of the passwords :o I really want to read them. Is there a program or something I can use to unlock them? I'm using a Mac and I want to unlock them either in LibreOffice or MS Word 2008 for Mac.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a lot of dodgy utilities out these that are probably full of malware.

This site has been good in the past, but treat any downloads with sensible caution.
    http://www.petri.co.il/word-password-recovery.htm
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Malware doesn't affect me as much on a Mac but I should avoid websites IT Law lecturers don't approve of ;) I might try that one utility and see if it works, but maybe I should try it on a Windows machine?
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The program in Stig's link will only work on Windows, it's a Windows executable.

http://www.petri.co.il has often had very good guides and programmes on how to perform certain tasks.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malware doesn't affect me as much on a Mac but I should avoid websites IT Law lecturers don't approve of ;) I might try that one utility and see if it works, but maybe I should try it on a Windows machine?

Seen as how it's a Windows program, I don't expect you have too much choice....?

Not sure where your lecturer comes in to it. I'm pretty sure none of mine advise going on XTube 3 times a day, but again, I don't really see how that has any relevance to, well, anything at all in the world.
    Forum Member
    Seen as how it's a Windows program, I don't expect you have too much choice....?

Not sure where your lecturer comes in to it. I'm pretty sure none of mine advise going on XTube 3 times a day, but again, I don't really see how that has any relevance to, well, anything at all in the world.

MS Word exists on the Mac as well, but I might be better off using Windows machine to unlock the protected files. Plus they're all on an old Windows-formatted hard drive. I usually say that when referring to *ahem* websites I shouldn't be looking at as I know he wouldn't approve of said sites ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS Word exists on the Mac as well, but I might be better off using Windows machine to unlock the protected files. Plus they're all on an old Windows-formatted hard drive. I usually say that when referring to *ahem* websites I shouldn't be looking at as I know he wouldn't approve of said sites ;)
    Yes, but you can't use the program to crack the password on a Mac.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Yes, but you can't use the program to crack the password on a Mac.
    Not strictly true. :)

You can't run it natively under Mac OS but you could run it in a Virtual Machine running Windows. Or if it's a modern Intel based Mac you could even dual boot into Windows running natively on the Mac.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »

You can't run it natively under Mac OS but you could run it in a Virtual Machine running Windows. Or if it's a modern Intel based Mac you could even dual boot into Windows running natively on the Mac.

That's a lot of hassle to go through to unlock a few old Word documents! Maybe I'll just use my old Windows XP desktop, since that's the computer the files were originally created on. I can then copy them onto the external hard drive and onto one of my Macbooks (the Macs read the files on the hard drive but they can't write to it as it's a Windows-formatted one).
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    (the Macs read the files on the hard drive but they can't write to it as it's a Windows-formatted one).
    Slightly off topic but ntfs-3g gets around that.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but ntfs-3g gets around that.

Thanks but I'll keep it Windows-formatted. I have a Mac-formatted one.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it does, I use it. I'm on about the program in the link that you'd need to use to crack the passwords - that's a Windows program and there doesn't appear to be an OS X version available on there from what I can see.

I'm pretty sure he won't really care, as long as you're not using his/a uni computer. And even then... I don't think he'd care.
    Forum Member
    I know it does, I use it. I'm on about the program in the link that you'd need to use to crack the passwords - that's a Windows program and there doesn't appear to be an OS X version available on there from what I can see.

I'm pretty sure he won't really care, as long as you're not using his/a uni computer. And even then... I don't think he'd care.

I haven't found any utilities so using a Windows machine would be my best bet. I tend not to use *those* websites but I wouldn't use his computer or one of the college ones. He probably would be shocked if he found out :eek: Best thing to do is not to use anything I shouldn't ;)
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Thanks but I'll keep it Windows-formatted. I have a Mac-formatted one.
    You seem to misunderstand, NTFS-3G is an extension for OS X that adds the ability to write to NTFS (Windows) volumes.

I used it all the time when I had my Mac since I did a lot of work with Windows drives. Having a quick look now they seem to be trying to flog it as some other commercial package but the original thing is (was?) freeware.
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    You seem to misunderstand, NTFS-3G is an extension for OS X that adds the ability to write to NTFS (Windows) volumes.

I used it all the time when I had my Mac since I did a lot of work with Windows drives. Having a quick look now they seem to be trying to flog it as some other commercial package but the original thing is (was?) freeware.

Ah, I thought it was a way to format Windows external hard drives :o I might look into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

If you want to be pedantic yes, you can do that. But that would be stupid for the OP's needs.
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    If you want to be pedantic yes, you can do that. But that would be stupid for the OP's needs.

Agreed. I just caught someone using Windows XP on their Macbook Pro! :eek: I did say something to him about it. He's using Google Chrome and MS Office on it. Erm, those are available for Mac as well!