Very best indoor aerial ?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I've been following this thread quite closely as I will be moving into a flat in Sep with 3 mates from uni, and there aren't any aerial points in any of the bedrooms, only in the main living room (where we will be having sky installed anyway).

I've got a freeview (old itv pace box) which works fine for me at the moment, and I was planning to take it to Nottingham with me. I'm living in a 4th floor (top floor) flat with the windows in the bedrooms facing in an easterly direction. One bedroom window is facing towards the north.

I've had a look at Argos, who seem to be good for indoor aerials and I've come across the following:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106548

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=107455

The top one is a Philips with a 39db gain, and both are wideband. I understand I wont get a great picture using an indoor aerial but I have no alternative, hopefully being high up will help. Which one of these would you recommend? Also, what transmitter would I be recieving from (I would have thought Nottingham or Waltham?), and where are these located in respect to our flat (Notts City Centre)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tim.
  • nffcnffc Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crossing the A52 eh?

Nottm- central is from Waltham (near Melton) which is approximately SE, and Nottingham (near Nuthall- M1 J26) which is approximately NW

Alternatively you can get W Mids from Sutton Coldfield (SW) or Yorkshire from Belmont (NE)

(Directions from city centre obviously)

Obviously the area you're in will vastly influence your selection as the city centre and hills shield different parts of town from the various masts...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I use a caravan aerial indoors. I live in a rented maisonette and it had nothing when I moved in, no TV, no phone line etc, just electric and water. I'm not allowed to make external modifications (I had to push like crazy just to get the phone put in- "Will this mean a cable going to the maisonette?" asked my clueless landlord) which meant a roof aerial was out of the question, so I used my parents' old caravan aerial that we used to take on holiday with us. Works a treat, got all channels and quality is superb. It doesn't look especially pretty where it is (See here for proof) but it ain't sat there to impress Mr Llewellyn-Bowen.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I'm crossing the A52 (god help me!!). In my final year at Trent uni, commuted it before but moving this time. I would have thought the window in my room would be facing S/SE so looks like could pick up Waltham (which is what I have in Derby). How far is Waltham from Notts City Centre? Were higher up than most other buildings on the street, so hopefully should get a relativly good signal.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nffc wrote:
    Miracle?

How high up are you?

IME, the best indoor aerial is a good outdoor aerial carefully positioned and suspended from the ceiling with string. A good booster can help. This is perfect for student accommodation, though a simple aerial on the windowsill can work almost as well, if you're lucky. (Don't let the suspended aerial touch the light fitting - you don't want to risk an electric shock!)

Remember, if you're high up, and on the right side of a building to "see" the tx, then good reception can be very easy to achieve.

If you're low down, or on the wrong side of a building to "see" the tx, then reception can be very poor, whatever you do.

When a main tx is only a few miles away, it can be very difficult not to receive digital signals properly - our FreeView box works OK if I put my finger into the aerial socket.

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcfc2134 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm crossing the A52 (god help me!!). In my final year at Trent uni, commuted it before but moving this time. I would have thought the window in my room would be facing S/SE so looks like could pick up Waltham (which is what I have in Derby). How far is Waltham from Notts City Centre? Were higher up than most other buildings on the street, so hopefully should get a relativly good signal.

http://www.kswindells.34sp.com/freeview/ta.php/transmitters

Waltham is in between Grantham and Melton on the A607 (closer to Melton) which is approx SE as I said- dependent on the hills in the surroundings you may get it. The link above (hopefully works) is to a handy terrain mapping thing- all you need is to turn your postcode into an NGR and then it will plot terrain between you and the selected TX.

Glad to see you're getting out of D*rby though :lol:
    2Bdecided wrote:
    How high up are you?

IME, the best indoor aerial is a good outdoor aerial carefully positioned and suspended from the ceiling with string. A good booster can help. This is perfect for student accommodation, though a simple aerial on the windowsill can work almost as well, if you're lucky. (Don't let the suspended aerial touch the light fitting - you don't want to risk an electric shock!)

Remember, if you're high up, and on the right side of a building to "see" the tx, then good reception can be very easy to achieve.

If you're low down, or on the wrong side of a building to "see" the tx, then reception can be very poor, whatever you do.

When a main tx is only a few miles away, it can be very difficult not to receive digital signals properly - our FreeView box works OK if I put my finger into the aerial socket.

Cheers,
    David.

Not especially- but higher than Belmont probably and on the side of one of the hills in Nottingham which ironically shields us from Waltham.

The aerial's pretty good for an indoor (loop) aerial though- high gain and wideband with a booster and two radio things as well. It's also as high up in the room as I can get it- and Belmont analogue is pretty clear as well. I think they still might have it in Dixons actually...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcfc2134 wrote:
    as i've just said on another thread- i have had no problems with a one-for-all one from dixons with signal booster and the fm capability- it was and probably still is about 20 quid- you can control the boosting as well. looks a bit better than the one you've posted but that looks ok as well.
  • CorinCorin Posts: 7,224
    Forum Member
    mcfc2134 wrote:
    So would you recommend going for this aerial then?
    No, even more so as it will cost you a small fortune in buying dry cells.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nffc wrote:
    as i've just said on another thread- i have had no problems with a one-for-all one from dixons with signal booster and the fm capability- it was and probably still is about 20 quid- you can control the boosting as well. looks a bit better than the one you've posted but that looks ok as well.

I'll repeat myself too - I *have* had a problem with the one for all model (current model - previous one was much better for digital) from Argos.

Your experience may vary ;)
    Forum Member
    There was a philips wideband too, i'll pick which one i want out of a hat if i dont get a deffo choice!!!!
  • SimpfeldSimpfeld Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    mcfc2134 wrote:

It's a bit subjective, but it doesn't looks very UHF suitable ie not a log periodic or a yagi like thing. So I'd be scared it's gain and directionality are poor and just made up for a bit by having an amp that drains batteries.

Maybe I'm being unfair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is a touch off topic, but I think I can keep it relevant, so work with me here ;)

Why has no one developed and outdoor-indoor ariel? I.e. one that you can hang out of a window, or attach to the house somehow that has a cable through the window or something. It seems like a decent option to me, and while it might not look wonderfull it might be some help.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
  • John-24John-24 Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I know this is a touch off topic, but I think I can keep it relevant, so work with me here ;)

Why has no one developed and outdoor-indoor ariel? I.e. one that you can hang out of a window, or attach to the house somehow that has a cable through the window or something. It seems like a decent option to me, and while it might not look wonderfull it might be some help.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

An Outdoor aerial can be hung out of a window. It will of course need some kind of fixing just to keep it pointing in the right direction. This only works though if you have an outside wall pointing the right way.

You can use an Outdoor aerial indoors. The problem being to get decent gain you need a lot of elements. The size and spacing o them is dictated by the frequency. If you don't mind a big ugly aerial in a room it will work. How well depends on the type of building and height etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I bought a Humax PVR8000 today, and got it out of the box to discover (as I had expected) my poxy indoor aerial is no use whatsoever. I have checked it downstairs using the outdoor aerial and it works a treat - even loaded with the latest software for the EPG.

My dilemma is now whether I a) buy a decent indoor aerial (a labgear high gain etc) or b) try to link off the downstairs aerial cable. I live in Longton, near Preston so my closest transmitter is Winter Hill. I am desperate to get the problem solved but not really sure what to do. Your advice would be great.

If I go for an indoor aerial would a Labgear aerial be a good bet. (Just to explain my flat mate has digital TV in his bedroom using an indoor aerial so I know its viable) But concened the picture will break up too frequently.

If I choose to rewire the cabling from my downstairs aerial feed - what is my best way to do it? Its a wall mounted aerial socket - which a cable can be attached to, to connect with the digi box. Would a splitter with an amp do the job? And is it best to have a long cable or one that just reaches my Humax upstairs. (My bedroom is above the aerial socket) Any decent advice would be appreciated.

By the way, although its my first post - I've viewed this forum extensively these past few weeks. Thanks for all the comments re: the Humax. It truely is a great unit.
    Forum Member
    Can someone point me in the direction of this labgear indoor aerial please, cant find one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Edmonkey wrote:

If I choose to rewire the cabling from my downstairs aerial feed - what is my best way to do it? Its a wall mounted aerial socket - which a cable can be attached to, to connect with the digi box. Would a splitter with an amp do the job? And is it best to have a long cable or one that just reaches my Humax upstairs. (My bedroom is above the aerial socket) Any decent advice would be appreciated.

QUOTE]

The best way to achieve this at minimal cost and (hopefully) minimal signal loss would be to loopthrough the antenna cable from downstairs to upstairs. Buy a cheap aerial amplifier that has 2 outputs, one output for downstairs tv and the other for upstairs. The biggest problem would be feeding the cable through the house unless you can get it fed outdoors. Splitters work but signal suffers.