O2 4g roll out by end of June?

2»

Comments

• RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you look on other providers sites, such as Optus in Australia, they don't require customers to change sim cards to go from 3G to 4G.

I think they key part in your quote is
    Redcoat wrote: »
    It may be the case that some or all 3G sim cards...

Why would mobile networks want the extra cost of producing additional SIM cards to give to 4G customers if the 3G Cards will work perfectly well? The networks are not likely to charge customers for the new 4G SIMs, so would be taking the cost on themselves (granted, I dont expect the manufacturing cost to be anything significant for a single SIM).
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That doesn't apply here

Can I ask why that is?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    RileyM wrote: »
    Can I ask why that is?

Because all 3G sims work in 2G phones.

Even Three UK sim cards.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It's the network that requires the new sims. Some sims cannot be updated with certain cell info that is required for them to allow the phone to 'see' the network and be provisioned on the system..

HOWEVER it is good practice just to replace the sims as you never know how old or crappy the state of the sim over several upgrades some may have.

It is also good marketing, it makes the 4G feel even more special and new to customers... silly but crap like that works.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Even Three UK sim cards.

Are you sure? They never used to, and I would have thought it'd be pointless to try now considering the near lack of 2G roaming these days.

In cases where they did (I remember reading about a dodgy batch of SIMs), 3 detected it pretty quickly and sent out a new SIM that wouldn't work with a letter telling you to stop doing it.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Are you sure? They never used to, and I would have thought it'd be pointless to try now considering the near lack of 2G roaming these days.

In cases where they did (I remember reading about a dodgy batch of SIMs), 3 detected it pretty quickly and sent out a new SIM that wouldn't work with a letter telling you to stop doing it.

I'm sure they did. I remember being able to pick up 2G signal in a 2G phone in N Ireland a couple of years back.

But i could be wrong. I don't know enough or have enough evidence to fully back up my claim.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the last time I checked my three sim card worked in a 2G only phone
    Forum Member
    Three sims work in 2G phones, just checked.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps they've finally stopped caring now that 2G roaming isn't nationwide like it was in the good old days.

I have a modern Three SIM but I have no idea where any of my 2G phones are (the ones that outright rejected a 3 SIM) to test.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not for me they don't. Is that an old Sim?
    Forum Member
    2 month old retail bought PAYG sim. Does your location have 'Three' 2G?
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know when O2 are going to roll out 4G in more places and where these places will be?