• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bradford FC fire

That was awful :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    solare wrote: »
    That's awful isn't it. They do the same when there has been a plane crash - film the distraught relatives waiting at the airport.

Generally I don't agree with censorship of the news - I think it is necessary to show the horrors of war and death to properly report an event. But to film someone's grief on discovering a loved one has been killed is just voyeuristic and cruel.

Yeah agreed.
    BBDodge wrote: »
    That bit got to me too. Hope they didn't show the reaction of the schoolkids when they realised their teacher just got blown up.

I remember seeing footage of her school-kids watching the launch :(
    That is awful and the shot of her friend and standby leggin it down the ladder to watch the afternath.

I'm pretty sure that both shots weren't shown live, but were edited in on later reports and documentaries.

The actual Challenger disaster was live on TV but only very limited - very few stations in the US showed it except for CNN and no-one over here. It was shown on both BBC1 and ITV very soon afterwards - both on Childrens TV

Yeah the Challenger wasn't actually shown live many places.

There's footage on youtube of Christa's standby Barbara Morgan watching the launch from a completely different point from everyone else. It's awful when she realises what's happened!

Good that Barbara finally got to be the teacher in space this year though. :)
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just googled Budd Dwyer and went into the first site that I thought didn't have the video as I just wanted to see the final transcript and on the page it shows everything before I can even stop it!! I feel sick now :-(
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I remember a couple of years back there was a big furore over a live police chase, the staple of local TV news in the US, where the person being chased got out of his car and killed himself live on TV.

At the time all the stations over there said they'd change their ways and stop showing them, but aside from some adding in a live delay, not much seems to have changed. Actually not that long ago I think two TV news helcopters crashed into each over on live TV there.
  • sgt.cryersgt.cryer Posts: 3,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do our news channels have delays or are they not allowed??
  • SeminoleSeminole Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I right in thinking Dale Earnhardt's fatal crash at the Daytona 500 was broadcast live?

A sad loss
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, indeed it was - I was watching. Sad day.

Same with Roland Ratzenberger at Imola '94, got that on tape somewhere.

There was also an Indycar driver in '96 died in a race live on Eurosport, shockingly I can't remember his name now. Greg Moore's death in 99 (?) may have been broadcast live too but can't remember if that may have been in a practice session - as Gonzalo Rodriguez's around the same time was at a different race.

Also remember a F3000 race live on Eurosport in 1995 I think it was, someone was killed after their car shot up in the air and freakishly turned upside down so their head landed slap bang on a concrete wall. Can't remember his name either, I used to be really anoraky on all facets of Motorsports but since getting a missus these facts have poured out of my head!
  • DRofThuganomicsDRofThuganomics Posts: 4,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TMLS wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais at the concert for Diana? Certainly died on stage...

He isn't dead who said he was?
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    There was also an Indycar driver in '96 died in a race live on Eurosport, shockingly I can't remember his name now.

Jeff Krosnoff, awful accident, killed a track marshall as well i think
    Greg Moore's death in 99 (?) may have been broadcast live too but can't remember if that may have been in a practice session - as Gonzalo Rodriguez's around the same time was at a different race.

Moore's death was during the final race of 1999
    Also remember a F3000 race live on Eurosport in 1995 I think it was, someone was killed after their car shot up in the air and freakishly turned upside down so their head landed slap bang on a concrete wall. Can't remember his name either, I used to be really anoraky on all facets of Motorsports but since getting a missus these facts have poured out of my head!

Campos?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racing/Boxing/Football. It seems no popular sport is safe from the Grim Reaper.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you not understand irony? ;)
  • Alpha-Sun2Alpha-Sun2 Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dying on stage, it's what comedians call when they don't get the reaction they want
  • TMLS313TMLS313 Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Krosnoff, awful accident, killed a track marshall as well i think

Moore's death was during the final race of 1999

Campos?

Yeah, that's the stuff I'm forgetting. Campos' forename was Marco wasn't it?
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Tommy Cooper video anywhere?

All film of it was destroyed at the request of his family.

I was watching when it happened though and remember asking my mum and dad why he had fallen down, innocence lost for me.

The one that always sticks in my mind though is Hillsborough, I was watching it live on the BBC when it happened, horrible day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    NathalieR wrote: »
    I just googled Budd Dwyer and went into the first site that I thought didn't have the video as I just wanted to see the final transcript and on the page it shows everything before I can even stop it!! I feel sick now :-(

Actually, after reading what happens and then seeing the video, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! Still very grim though. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    All film of it was destroyed at the request of his family.

I was watching when it happened though and remember asking my mum and dad why he had fallen down, innocence lost for me.

The one that always sticks in my mind though is Hillsborough, I was watching it live on the BBC when it happened, horrible day.

I'm sure its kncoking around in a vault or someones atic somewhere
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommy Cooper, and I think Sid James?

also, Lennard Pearce (Grandad from only fools and horses) died, while actually filming an episode of OFAH - he suffered a heart attack while filming the episode "hole in one"

the episode was later re-shot with Buster Merryfield (Albert)

I realise Lennard wasn't actually on TV when this happened, but just thought I'd post this
  • Alpha-Sun2Alpha-Sun2 Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid James died at the Sunderland Empire Theatre, I don't think it was on TV.
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    At the time all the stations over there said they'd change their ways and stop showing them, but aside from some adding in a live delay, not much seems to have changed. Actually not that long ago I think two TV news helcopters crashed into each over on live TV there.

Yes, back in July 4 people were killed when 2 news helicopters crashed on air:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6920156.stm

There's been a few cases on both TV and radio where a helicopter has crashed while on air
    Forum Member
    Y
    There was also an Indycar driver in '96 died in a race live on Eurosport, shockingly I can't remember his name now. Greg Moore's death in 99 (?) may have been broadcast live too but can't remember if that may have been in a practice session - as Gonzalo Rodriguez's around the same time was at a different race.

Deaths in Formula were far more common in the past- Tom Pryce, Gilles Villeneuve, Riccardo Paletti

Quite a few would have been on live TV, Paletti's is on You Tube, but be warned, it's not very nice!

Thankfully safety has improved lots since, It's amazing the scale of the accidents which are survivable these days
    Forum Member
    Alpha-Sun2 wrote: »
    Sid James died at the Sunderland Empire Theatre, I don't think it was on TV.

No it wasn't, Sid James, Eric Morecambe and Dustin Gee all had fatal heart attacks either on stage or after just coming off stage but none of them were on TV

Here's a list of some other examples:
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/onstage.asp
    Forum Member
    sgt.cryer wrote: »
    I'm sure its kncoking around in a vault or someones atic somewhere

Indeed, the amount of random stuff that found on odd video tapes which is uploaded to Youtube these days I'm surprised it hasn't surfaced
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Tommy Cooper, and I think Sid James?

also, Lennard Pearce (Grandad from only fools and horses) died, while actually filming an episode of OFAH - he suffered a heart attack while filming the episode "hole in one"

the episode was later re-shot with Buster Merryfield (Albert)

I realise Lennard wasn't actually on TV when this happened, but just thought I'd post this

Didn't Bill Owen from Last of the Summer Wine die during rehesrals too?