Wallpaper - Do I Need To Line The Walls First?

Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The instructions for my wallpaper say that the walls should be lined before hanging the wallpaper. :confused:

Does anyone know if this is absolutely necessary, or if it would ruin the job if I didn't do it? The walls are in perfect condition.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does lining the wall mean?? I have never done it.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    What does lining the wall mean?? I have never done it.

With lining paper. I've never seen them do it on any of the interiors progs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right. Neither have I. I don't think it would make any difference if you didn't.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your walls are in good condition I wouldn't bother with lining them unless the paper you're using is exceptionally thin. I have never bothered with lining paper and my wallpaper has never had a problem.
    If you do decide to use a lining paper, the recommened way to do it is in horizontal strips from end to end as opposed to vertical like the actual wallpaper.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only done it once, when the walls were very rough & pitted - it's not necessary on good walls AFAIK.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We lined the walls in our new place even though they were in good condition - however we were not hanging paper on top of this (we painted)

You should be OK??? Although depending on how 'DIY inclinded' you are you may want to get a second opinion - even if it is just from someone who is more au fait with DIY than yourself?
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to line the walls.

I've never heard of anyone else doing it, or seen anyone do it on TV - so I'll take my chances.

:)
  • calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think liining paper was used more on bad walls years ago where the plaster wasnt even, Ive never used it myself as I like thicker wallpapers anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad (god rest his soul!)was a painter and decorator and I can remember him saying something about 'sizing' a wall before papering - something about putting a layer of wallpaper paste on the wall before applying the paper.

I'm sure that is what he said - has anyone else heard of this?:confused::)

Have just found this!!!!!
    'Sizing is simply applying a coat of paste to the wall. The one danger in doing this is that you apply so much to the wall that the paper slips off or gets too wet. However, I have found that if I size the whole wall first, by the time I come to hang the paper the size is getting on for being dry. Some paste packets will recommend the correct dilution for 'size'. Alternatively, there are special packets of 'size' available. I use the same mix for 'size' and the wallpaper I'm hanging and it seems to work fine.

If a wall has been repaired and there are areas of new plaster or filler then it is essential to 'size' the wall prior to papering. If you do not, the paste will soak into the new plaster and not allow a good bond to form between the wall and the wallcovering'

So i wasn't imagining it after all!!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I've never bothered and I have a few rooms in the house with wallpaper that looks great - one wall was pretty old and not in great condition, but it was thick paper and covered greatly. :)
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a wall at home last week - the missus wanted a "feature wall".

I put the paste on to the paper, waited 5-8 minutes as instructed and put it up, worked a treat.

Fun part was getting the edges to line up without under or overlapping. Took a few attempts to get it right, defintely a two person job!
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I've decided not to line the walls.

I've never heard of anyone else doing it, or seen anyone do it on TV - so I'll take my chances.

:)
    Hello Gloria,

Perhaps you might wish to reconsider that if it's not to late.

That's an important piece of the manufactures instructions you are ignoring

Lining walls before painting or papering can be important.

3 out of every 5 houses we decorate the walls will need to be lined.

Unless the wall/s are in exceptionally good condition, smoothe, clean and unblemished, lining is a good idea.

We find a lot of the walls that need lining are in older properties.

Lining paper comes in grades from 600 upwards.

I/we tend to use 1200 grade as a matter of course, we tend to take the view for my properties anything above 1600 then the walls are in a poor or dire state and need a hack back and re plaster, but that's a view, ( as a temporary stop gap we have used 2000 grade on 2-3 occasions ).

Of course you can have a perfectly sound wall and still need to cross line with the same or 2 different grades, it's to do with shadows and contours of a wall and the end finish to be achieved.

The manufacture of your paper instructs line the wall first, lining a wall may prevent the top paper from further shrinkage, now or in the future, give it strength and durability.

What I'm saying to those that are saying don't bother is, I don't necessarily disagree but it is not always about the condition of the existing wall but about the top paper and how good you wish it to look.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would line the walls, horizontally like someone else posted.

When you want to change the paper, it's much more easier to remove from a lined wall than unlined too. It's easier to hang paper on lined walls, sticks better, less bubbles.
    Will look more professional too

Don't do a job half cocked
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    I would line the walls, horizontally like someone else posted.

When you want to change the paper, it's much more easier to remove from a lined wall than unlined too. It's easier to hang paper on lined walls, sticks better, less bubbles.
    Will look more professional too

Don't do a job half cocked.
    Hi Fluffy,

I agree fully but disagree with the horizontal as bottom paper.

Horizontal is fine and may well be necessary so long as you allow for vertical lining on top before papering or painting.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the quality of the top paper Seacam, if it's good quality thick wallpaper, then horizontal will do on it's own. If it's thin, then maybe cross line. You often find that lining paper is narrower or wider (I forget, it's been a while!) than the decorative wall paper, so that's why horizontal line, to avoid extra 'down lines' that can show through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    Depends on the quality of the top paper Seacam, if it's good quality thick wallpaper, then horizontal will do on it's own. If it's thin, then maybe cross line. You often find that lining paper is narrower or wider (I forget, it's been a while!) than the decorative wall paper, so that's why horizontal line, to avoid extra 'down lines' that can show through.
    I disagree but respect your experience and your opinion.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this thread but wondered if any of the people who have wallpapering experience can help with a problem we have.

Basically my husband has had a lot of difficulty getting the wallpaper to stick and, as a result, we have had to use quite a lot of paste.

We have just come back to the room to see that the pieces with natural light shining on them are all shiny with surplus paste on the joins. He did try to make sure that he wiped it as thoroughly as possible and since then has tried twice more with a brand new cloth but to no avail. It's particularly annoying because it is the bit of wall you see as soon as you enter the room and is a real eyesore.

Any advice would be very welcome (apart from those people who disapprove of wallpaper and think it should be abolished :D)
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but wondered if any of the people who have wallpapering experience can help with a problem we have.

Basically my husband has had a lot of difficulty getting the wallpaper to stick and, as a result, we have had to use quite a lot of paste.

We have just come back to the room to see that the pieces with natural light shining on them are all shiny with surplus paste on the joins. He did try to make sure that he wiped it as thoroughly as possible and since then has tried twice more with a brand new cloth but to no avail. It's particularly annoying because it is the bit of wall you see as soon as you enter the room and is a real eyesore.

Any advice would be very welcome (apart from those people who disapprove of wallpaper and think it should be abolished :D)

You need the right paste! I've always used John Lewis wallpaper in our house as it's thick but recently decided to try a thick anaglypta paper (which is very heavy with a raised surface and sometimes a bit shiny) and didn't think about paste...well you can guess the rest :D Ask if you're not sure what to use or check the packet of paste as it will say if it's suitable or not. I believe that lining papers may also require a stronger glue.

I completely agree with seacam's advice. Our house is 1920's and as such has crap walls so we have to line everything with thick grade paper and downstairs had to replaster everything before we could paint the walls.

I dream of flat, nice walls but I'd have to move to a new build and that's my nightmare as I'd lose my open fire and big thick walls so I think I'd prefer a castle with granite walls and no decorating required!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    You need the right paste! I've always used John Lewis wallpaper in our house as it's thick but recently decided to try a thick anaglypta paper (which is very heavy with a raised surface and sometimes a bit shiny) and didn't think about paste...well you can guess the rest :D Ask if you're not sure what to use or check the packet of paste as it will say if it's suitable or not. I believe that lining papers may also require a stronger glue.

I completely agree with seacam's advice. Our house is 1920's and as such has crap walls so we have to line everything with thick grade paper and downstairs had to replaster everything before we could paint the walls.

I dream of flat, nice walls but I'd have to move to a new build and that's my nightmare as I'd lose my open fire and big thick walls so I think I'd prefer a castle with granite walls and no decorating required!
    Hello Shadow,

Which bit or all of it.?